• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Flywheel experts question (400m ring gear)?

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
This is not in my Bronco, it is in my 79 F150, so its almost a Bronco. I have a 400M that I have been putting back together. I finally got it ready to go in and found that I need to replace the ring gear, no big deal until I try to find one. I am not sure what the deal is but my ring gear measures 15.5" O.D. and about 14.250 I.D. Every place I have checked with the new ones measure 15.5" O.D. and 14.5" I.D. Mine is also a 176 tooth gear, which seems to be wrong also. This was in my truck running fine and starting fine for the last 10 years, I am not sure what I have. The flywheel is not stock it is billet (not sure what company). The only marks on the ring gear are "VF 96" stamped into it.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
As always Thanks in advance!

hucklburry rev2

I'm not an expert on these series of engines, but I've been doing a lot with flywheels lately, so I googled it.

You might check your flywheel stamped part #s and the bellhousing, it looks like a lot of things interchange between 400, 460, 429, etc for some parts - wrong imbalance though? bellhousing, I don't know. But it looks like a 460 or 429 used a 176t ring gear, so maybe you have a 460 bellhousing, and someone used a 460 ring gear to get the starter to work?

scroll down this to post #8

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/garage/448885-what-tooth-flywheel-my-460-a.html

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
A 460 ring gear wont fit either, I looked up the specs and the I.D. size is the same as the other ones I tried. Everything else on the truck is factory stuff, modified but still factory. I cant find any markings on the flywheel , so i am not sure who made it. I have searched the internet for a while and am coming up empty. I will call my Engine builder tomorrow and see if he has any ideas.
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it!

brewchief

McLeod shows a steel flywheel for a 460 with a 176T ring gear, might call them as the ring gears they use might be slightly different then what fits a stock flywheel.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Billet is likely your answer to why stock replacements don't fit. Of course the manufacturer could have chosen to use a stock style, but noooooo. That would have been too easy.%)

Centerforce makes some as well, so check with them also.

And yes, the bellhousing pattern for these particular 335-series engines (351M and 400) are big-block 460 stuff. Pretty sure even some things like distributors are the same as the 460.
Hence the larger size and larger clutches.

Good luck. Let us know what you find out. Sounds pretty cool to have a high-zoot flywheel. What else have you got going on in that truck? More cool stuff done to the engine?
How's it run?

Paul

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Thanks guys! I contacted Mccleod and they didnt have one. I got a hold of my motor guy today and he had a catalog with just ring gears in it. He found one and got it ordered, should be here Wednesday and I hope its right. I will update when I get it.

I really appreciate all of the replies! Thanks again!

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I got the ring gear today. It is the right size, the tooth count is 184 instead of 176 so I hope it will work. I did some online searches and I think its okay. I will know on Friday when I install the motor. I will update again when I go to start it.
Thanks again for all the help! You guys are awesome!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well bummer. That's a lot of work to go through on a maybe. But if you've found that it works on others trucks, then I guess the rest of us will know soon enough!

Crossing fingers and hoping it's the ticket. Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Everything I read says the stock gear has 180 teeth. The one I had there was 176, the new one is 184. Like you said, alot of work for a maybe! I like to wrench but, man I hope it works out!

Thanks for the reply!

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
In the old days we use to just pull and flip the ring gear and put it back on. Unless you had broken teeth. So with the special size ring gear is the starter different too or the bell housing?

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Stock bell housing and stock starter( I have owned the truck since 1995). It started without making noise. I motor rebuilt in 2006 and installed that flywheel at that time. I needed another flywheel because my truck was still running and I had another motor for the rebuild. I bought the flywheel used, but in great shape, it was half the price of a stock one so I went with it. No problems until the motor had issues and I had to pull it to rebuild. IT the trouble started.

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Not sure what happened , my post had several words get deleted.
Lets try that again!

Stock bell housing and stock starter( I have owned the truck since 1995). It started without making noise. I had another motor rebuilt in 2006 and installed that flywheel at that time. I needed another flywheel because my truck was still running and I had another motor for the rebuild. I bought the flywheel used, but in great shape, it was half the price of a stock one so I went with it. No problems until the motor had issues and I had to pull it to rebuild it that is when I found out it had a wierd ring gear.
As far as flipping the gear, the teeth were worn enough that I didn't want to chance it. I thought I was going to be forced to use it until I found another one.

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I sure hope so, this caught me totally off guard. If the flywheel wasn't balanced to the motor I would have changed it to a stock one. Lesson learned, next time I will do my homework before purchasing aftermarket motor parts.

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
If the weather cooperates and nothing else surprises me I will have it in and running tomorrow. I will update when I know its a done deal and it works.

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I finally got this thing in. It cranks just fine , no issues. 184 tooth gear with a stock 400m starter, no problems. Got it done and fluids filled, was going to start it and break in the cam, and then the fuel pump didn't work. Gotta love these foreign parts. Its raining so I gave up till tomorrow.

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I got it fired up, timed and cam break in is done. I am going to change the oil today and start driving it. All is well so far so hopefully I won the battle!
Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it!