• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Grant steering wheel gap

Maggi

Hi guys,

Quick question put a grant steering wheel on my 71. Was set for three on the Tre but convert to floor shift. Any way wit the new wheel there is a gap between the wheel and the turn single. Quick search was thinking just need a longer cover plate but can't find it. Do I need to shorting the steering rod. Don't have pic can post one in the morning of the gap

Thanks

Jeff

OP
OP
Maggi

Maggi

Is the steering column cover adjustable by loosing ye bolts under the dash and sliding it up to close the gap

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Loosening the two bolts under the dash and the column clamp in the engine bay will allow you to move the column up.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I have same issue. But still cantmove column up.

What year is your Bronco? Later years had a snap ring on the steering shaft that prevents the column from sliding up. Or rather, the shaft slides up with the column so it does nothing to close the gap.

mcarchery12

Dang. Looks kinda ugly. I wanted to get a new grant walnut steering wheel. Wonder if grant makes a longer collar to cover the gap?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Ahh-haa!
So that's what was wrong. I should have tried loosening the column bolts.
When I put the Grant adapter on my IDIDIT column, the gap was too tight and the wheel wouldn't turn. I trimmed the shroud on the lathe to shorten it.

jackwagon

Hey all have a 72 Bronco.
Just installed grant classic wheel and I have the big gap.
I loosened up the bolts under the dash. And luck me
one twisted off.
Question 1) My column didn't slide when I loosened the bolts under dash.
What else do I need to loosen?

Question 2) The bolt I broke off, any ideas on how to drill this out, or do I punch it out?
Tips tricks appreciated.

HB73

For question number one, pop your hood look for the collar holding the bearing at the base of the column. Loosen that and you should be able to move the shaft up and down.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

broncoman805

Loc.
Oxnard, CA
I've been living with this gap since i bought my bronco 18 years ago and didn't think much about this issue but, now it's starting to bug me.

Oh well, time to turn some wrenches and cure this problem.

Where's Geared Up and Crowbar?

BCH BRCO

HB73 nailed it, loosen the collar on the column and let the shaft slide down slightly to close up the gap.

jackwagon

I loosened up the collar I thought but no movement.
I need some clarification or pic of what I should be loosening.
Also the upper bracket appears to be attached to the column.
Or maybe it's just rust holding it. Is this correct?
So another dumb question , is it the shaft inside the column that will move or the column itself that moves? Mine is very rusty and I'm wondering even when the right things are loosened , it might not slide easily.
Sorry for the dumb questions , and thanks for your help.

jackwagon

I added pic in my garage of what I'm seeing under the hood. And the gap.
I loosened the collar on the shaft at the base and the shaft would move somewhat ,
(It was brutal to try to get a wrench on it. But it appeared that if I moved it closer to the correct position a plastic spline would pull out of the bearing.
Tried to slide this collar up into the bearing housing, but then couldn't get at the nuts.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For those that have the gap, can you push down on the steering wheel and feel it close up a bit? Do you feel a little spring pressure trying to push it back up towards you?
If so, then you can loosen and readjust the lower clamp.

This clamp: http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Steering_Shaft_Clamp/Bronco_Stock_Column_Parts is on the shaft itself, and not the column housing. One person "can" do it, but it definitely helps to have a helper to hold the wheel where you want it so you can tighten up the clamp.

If loosening the two upper bolts does not allow you to move the outer housing, you should verify that the clamp at the firewall is loose too. If so and the movement you get is not enough, then the clamp on the shaft is Plan-B

IN either case, you're just changing the relationship of the column housing to the shaft. The shaft stays attached to the box with quite a bit of potential play. If the upper spring is pushing up on the wheel then you might be at the upper limit of shaft travel, but you would have down-travel available for adjustment.
There is only so much housing travel available, based on the slotted holes in the upper bracket I think.

Paul