• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

302 Valve Adjustment

turbotim2

I have read and watched a bunch of tech articles on the interwebs and I am getting multiple answers on how far to turn the rocker stud nut after the push rod is tight. I have heard/read anywhere between 1/4 turn to one full turn.

Oh, yes I do have adjustable valves not the positive stop heads.

Thanks!

DJs74

Bronco Guru
Hydraulic, flat tappet.

Sorry about the first post... I was talking to another guy about a 460 with a solid roller and got the two questions mixed up.

Solid requires specific adjustment and hydraulic is zero lash + 1/2 turn or so

sorry about that

DJs74

DJs74

Bronco Guru
Hydraulic, flat tappet.

I don't think there is a hard and fast rule on how many turns past zero lash with hydraulic lifters. Basically, the extra turn past zero lash is taking the slack out of the hydraulic lifter. Depending on the combination of parts, I've used the extra 1/4 turn, extra 1/2 turn and even one full turn.

I think 1/2 is a good starting point to try... if you get ticking, go on a little further - if your valvetrain is quiet, you are good.

sorry about the earlier confusion... I have too many subjects going on - got another one going on ring and pinions, I need to pay attention

DJs74

DJs74

Bronco Guru
OK, thanks! No problem on the confusion! Half a turn sounds good, I'll give it a try.

FWIW, there is another variance as to how some folks determine zero lash. Some spin the push rod between their thumb and forefinger until resistance is reached or until the push rod stops spinning freely and some move the push rod in the up and down direction between the lifter and the rocker arm just as it functions. I get a little better feel with the spinning technique but both are reasonable to use - probably a personal preference I guess.

DJs74

vtboy51

I have read and watched a bunch of tech articles on the interwebs and I am getting multiple answers on how far to turn the rocker stud nut after the push rod is tight. I have heard/read anywhere between 1/4 turn to one full turn.

Oh, yes I do have adjustable valves not the positive stop heads.

Thanks!

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm working on the same thing and had some questions. I've got a stock 289 in my '68 how do I tell what kind of rocker I have, solid or hydraulic (I'm a newby engine guy)? I stupidly just started tightening the rocker stud nuts in hopes of fixing a slight ticking noise when my engine was running. Then i decided to do some research, and realized to tight isn't always good.

OX1

Bronco Guru
I don't think there is a hard and fast rule on how many turns past zero lash with hydraulic lifters. Basically, the extra turn past zero lash is taking the slack out of the hydraulic lifter. Depending on the combination of parts, I've used the extra 1/4 turn, extra 1/2 turn and even one full turn.

I think 1/2 is a good starting point to try... if you get ticking, go on a little further - if your valvetrain is quiet, you are good.

sorry about the earlier confusion... I have too many subjects going on - got another one going on ring and pinions, I need to pay attention

DJs74

Agree with 1/2. less is more, don't want it to bottom out.
Rather ticking and a bit loose first, if anything

DJs74

Bronco Guru
Not to hijack the thread, but I'm working on the same thing and had some questions. I've got a stock 289 in my '68 how do I tell what kind of rocker I have, solid or hydraulic (I'm a newby engine guy)? I stupidly just started tightening the rocker stud nuts in hopes of fixing a slight ticking noise when my engine was running. Then i decided to do some research, and realized to tight isn't always good.

I am not well versed in 289s... never owned one but pretty sure all 289s were adjustable valvetrain. Unless there was a cylinder head change or some kind of conversion done, I believe your 289 will have adjustable rockers.
Adjustable studs are basically the same diameter all the way down to the cylinder head (Ø3/8"). If you remove the pushrod, the rocker falls all the way down to the cylinder head.
Positive stop studs have a shoulder or step and are usually Ø5/16" threads and step up to Ø3/8"

DJs74

1971lubr

Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
Don't go full turn. I read that as well, adjust mine the first time that way and had no compression in 6 of 8 cylinders. The valves were floating at that point. 1/4 is plenty then you'll have to adjust again when hot and running to quiet up a few that are still ticking.

vtboy51

I am not well versed in 289s... never owned one but pretty sure all 289s were adjustable valvetrain. Unless there was a cylinder head change or some kind of conversion done, I believe your 289 will have adjustable rockers.
Adjustable studs are basically the same diameter all the way down to the cylinder head (Ø3/8"). If you remove the pushrod, the rocker falls all the way down to the cylinder head.
Positive stop studs have a shoulder or step and are usually Ø5/16" threads and step up to Ø3/8"

DJs74

Just to clarify, If I do indeed have the adjustable rockers, i would need to follow the procedure of moving each cylinder into TDC and adjusting accordingly?

DJs74

Bronco Guru
Just to clarify, If I do indeed have the adjustable rockers, i would need to follow the procedure of moving each cylinder into TDC and adjusting accordingly?

For me personally and I'm sure there will be those who disagree... regardless of rocker style or camshaft type or whatever, I always adjust valves starting with cylinder #1 and follow the firing order throughout the entire procedure and I do both the intake & exhaust per cylinder.
The valve should be adjusted when the lifter is on the "heel" or "base circle" of the camshaft lobe which is when the valve is normally closed and fully seated.

The EOIC method will ensure this is always the case.
* Adjust the intake valve when the exhaust valve would begin to open or when the push rod / lifter begins to move up
* Adjust the exhaust valve when the intake valve would begin to close or when the push rod / lifter begins moving down.

If hydraulic lifters, tighten rocker nut until you achieve zero lash, then another 1/2 to 3/4 turn

If solid (mechanical) lifters, adjust using a specific feeler gage for proper lash

DJs74

DJs74

Bronco Guru

Also, I meant to add... according to Tom Monroe (professor of SBF's and BBF's IMO), all small block Fords produced up to mid 1968 had adjustable valvetrain. Again, I'm not too knowledgeable on the 289s but I think the 289 was produced from like '66 to '68 just based on my small Mustang knowledge. So it's likely that all 289s were adjustable unless there were a few produced at the end of '68 with positive stop rockers... could be, not sure

DJs74

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've always used 1/4-turn of preload. For 40 years...

Actually used zero turns (zero lash setting) on some racing engines..to avoid lifters over pumping and floating the valves. at high RPMs...

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Only the rarish 271HP 289 4V hipo engine had solid lifters. The rest of the 2V and 4V 289s had hydraulic lifters with adjustable rockers.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru

That's because there are actually multiple answers based on individual cirsumstances and individual preferences. And individual quirks of the particular engine.
Usually, the factory specification is a good place to start. Can't remember for the Fords, but all GM hydraulic lifters that I ever worked on were 1-turn after zero lash.
I usually used the 1/2 turn number myself after awhile. But spent many a mile on lifters adjusted to the factory spec.
See? The multiple answers continue!

how do I tell what kind of rocker I have, solid or hydraulic (I'm a newby engine guy)?

It's actually referring to the lifter, not the rockers. Though the rockers for one are certainly different from the other. But not always?
The most certain way to tell what you have is to look at the lifters. If they have a separate spring-loaded piston down in the center that you can push on and feel it move, it's hydraulic.
If it's one-piece with no moveable parts at all, it's a solid lifter.

I stupidly just started tightening the rocker stud nuts in hopes of fixing a slight ticking noise when my engine was running.

Yeah, unfortunately a ticking hydraulic lifter is rarely an adjustment issue. It's more often either a stuck or worn out lifter.
In those cases though, here is where one of the oil additives designed to "clean and quiet noisy sticky lifters" with mild ticking. They take awhile to work sometimes, but I've never had one fail to work as advertised.
Unfortunately, if they don't work, it's likely not the additive's fault as much as it is the lifter is just too far gone to be salvaged.
When that happens it's time to replace them. My '71 had ticking lifters with only about 75k miles on it, but with the use of additives ("snake oil") by 80k all the noise was gone. Finally returned at about 110k so I replaced the lifters.

For you guys that use the "spinning" method, you really have to have a finely-tuned touch to know when it's at zero lash. On many engines you can continue to turn the pushrod in a very smooth manner well after you've reached zero lash.
Same goes for up-n-down play though. You still need to have a light touch, but it's easier to tell when you're at zero.

Maybe with all the stuff being brand new it's not as easy to spin them and you'll feel the difference right away. But with a worn-in rocker/pushrod/lifter setup, they will spin easily even when too tight.

Paul