• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Automatic radiator in a manual?

70sbudget

Can I block off the ports for the automatic transmission cooler and use an automatic radiator in a manual Bronco?

Mine has a leak and found an aluminum for $75

OX1

Bronco Guru
Yes, my aftermarket alum had the ports, which I didn't use.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Plug them to keep them clean. Many times they only sell radiators for automatics as it is a one part that will fit either way.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
They come with plugs in them. And they usually are pretty tight as long as you dont take them out once.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I was thinking of using that heat exchanger in my radiator to heat the water for my "Zodi" camp shower.
Right now I'm using one of their propane fired showers, but I can't see why this wouldn't work great.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I was thinking of using that heat exchanger in my radiator to heat the water for my "Zodi" camp shower.
Right now I'm using one of their propane fired showers, but I can't see why this wouldn't work great.

Keep in mind the cooler is on the cold side of the radiator.
Check what the cooler is made of. It may not have corrosion protection inside of it, afterall it is expecting transmission fluid passing through, not water.