• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Question about rims

mduenas

Loc.
Los Angeles
If I am looking for my wheels to poke out to the width of my fenders, what offset and backspacing should I get? I will have toms flexible fenders. I would like 26 but it seems my options are limited, so I would be between 15 and 17's. I have a Dana 30, so I would be sticking with a 33inch tire. Any input would be amazing, as I know 0 about this topic.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I would go with 15 inch wheels for 33 inch tires.
When the tire size is less than twice the wheel size it looks out of proportion on a classic truck, at least to my eyes.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Yes 15" with 33's.

Wheels...
Seems like 3.5" BS and 8.0" width rims are just "inside" of cut fenders and 10" rims with the same BS are just "outside" of cut fenders.
It sounds like a 9" rim would be perfect but those are mostly available in 17" wheels....and it looks like they typically have slightly more BS (4"+), which will throw off whether its inside the fender or not.

The two common wheel widths for cut fenders are 8" and 10".
Depending on the tire you can keep them pretty close to the edge of your fender. Remember that those TBP flares will give you another inch or so of coverage which is how the 10" width rim can look even with the body too.

Two schools of thought are tall skinny tires (33x10.50) or tall wide tires (33x12.50).

When you try to fit that 33x10.50 on an uncut eb backspace and therefore wheel selection becomes critical. But if your running cut fenders you have far more wiggle room.

OP
OP
M

mduenas

Loc.
Los Angeles
Thank you so much! Do you not recommend the toms fenders? I have not seen them in person.

Would one of these wheels work better than the other?

Thank you!
https://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/...l+Width_PQ=10+Inches&Bolt+Pattern_PQ=5+on+5.5

Yes 15" with 33's.

Wheels...
Seems like 3.5" BS and 8.0" width rims are just "inside" of cut fenders and 10" rims with the same BS are just "outside" of cut fenders.
It sounds like a 9" rim would be perfect but those are mostly available in 17" wheels....and it looks like they typically have slightly more BS (4"+), which will throw off whether its inside the fender or not.

The two common wheel widths for cut fenders are 8" and 10".
Depending on the tire you can keep them pretty close to the edge of your fender. Remember that those TBP flares will give you another inch or so of coverage which is how the 10" width rim can look even with the body too.

Two schools of thought are tall skinny tires (33x10.50) or tall wide tires (33x12.50).

When you try to fit that 33x10.50 on an uncut eb backspace and therefore wheel selection becomes critical. But if your running cut fenders you have far more wiggle room.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
The 15's are 3.6" bs.
The 16's are 4.5" bs.

The 15's are safer. You'll always be ok with that bs. The 16's deeper back spacing could give you issues in the future depending on your plans.

16" tires will have a much larger quantity of E-class tires. These are far heavier duty than eb's need and will often run rougher. Not all 16's are E-class but most are.

15's are still your friend in an eb on 33's. One day 15's will get tougher to find but for now, for our eb's, they are still the way to go,