• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front Coils too soft ???

JAFHR

Loc.
Bend Oregon
Hello, it's been a long time since I posted. I've got a 68 EB in which I had a 3.5 long arm lift from Jim Cole (Bloody knuckles/Cage) put in, including springs and leafs along with a 3" body lift. I also have a front axle assembly from a Ford F150 high pinion. In order to steer the beast I had Heim system installed. I'm about to throw on 37" tires and wheels. I'm running 513 31 spline axles.

My issue is the front coils appear to be very soft. When I take off, the front end lifts up and it steers to the left. When I let off the gas the front end comes down and a get a bump steer to the right. Its pretty severe, not to mention the radius arm hits my headers. I found out the headers are not the right ones for the set up. I'm real confused as I just spent a ton of money getting it to this point, yet it drove a whole lot better before. I cannot drive it this way. Are there stronger coils out there. Not looking to crawl too much. Just a good daily driver with good manners. I've seen all the coils from WH, TB etc. What to choose.

Help.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Do you have a track bar riser or dropnbracket and a drop pittman arm? If you do not then you will get that sensation as the sudprnsion loads and unloades. The track bar and the steering will push and pull from side to side as the suspension cycles. As both those items get closer to level the sensation wil drastically decrease. Keep in mind that they both need to stay parrallel.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Deano on here has a daily driver that he bought off another friend of ours and when it was set up it has a 2.5" suspension lift. He used a large drop pittman arm (looks like 4") and a track bar drop bracket set at the lowest hole. I dont know what brand all that is but the track bar and the inverted y steering are parrallel and level to the ground. It steers beautifully and has absolutely none of the load/unload sensation you are describing and no bump steer at all. Im going to try to get mine set up like that for just that reason

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
You definitely have a steering/trac-bar geometry issue. Unless you don't like the ride of the springs I don't think that they are an issue. It could be that your front dampers are shot, but I'd get the steering sorted out first, then evaluate whether the springs and dampers need to be changed.

For the street hiem joint steering linkage is a mistake. Tie rod ends will last a lot longer and provide better service with less maintenance.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
With the pulling you around getting on and off the gas check rear end out. Check the u-bolts and springs. You get that pulling when something is loose or broke back there. Could also be something going bad in the rear diff.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
What shocks are you using? Are they in good shape? As others have typed fix the bump steer first. Then shocks, then springs.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Those are soft springs. Probably great at creepy crawly stuff.

The left and right pulling is bumpsteer. There is something wrong with the geometry of the track bar and drag link. It is made even more evident by the soft springs.

Unless the suspension is bottoming hard a lot on stuff it shouldn't bottom out on, they are not too soft. I had some soft springs and only had issues when trying to drive fast off-road. The only way I could have made the soft springs work was if I went to bypass shocks and maybe some air bumps. I did the other option, just slowed down a little.

A bit of caution regarding trying to prevent bottoming out with stiffer shocks, they tend to ride worse.

OP
OP
JAFHR

JAFHR

Loc.
Bend Oregon
Thanks for all the reply's. I've since pulled the coil springs out and ordered a set of Wild Horses Rock Crawler coils. As soon as I put the coils side by side, the set I pulled out was an inch and a half taller. Mind you, the ones I pulled were 3.5 inch lift. I decided to order 4.5 lift because of the front bumper and winch. This strategy worked out. What a huge difference. I don't know what the deal was with the Cage springs but you could literally push them up and down on the floor. Now the coils look correct instead being totally bent out. It rides so much better, yet I still have a little bump steer. Mind you, it's not wandering all over the place at 30mph now. I've been told to get a front sway bar and that would tighten it up. Do you think this would help. I'll get a picture of the front and see if it is correct first on the geometry.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
If a sway bar does do anything for the wandering it is masking some other problem.

Get the alignment numbers within previously suggested first.

Then cycle the suspension without springs in place and with the steering wheel locked so that it can not spin. Look at how much the compression and extension "steers" the truck. I'd concentrate on 1" extension from ride height and 2"-3" of compression from ride height. Get it good (I'd say less than .25" total change in direction, but less may be necessary) in that range and then you can think about other things, if required.