• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Tom’s “Plate Style” family cage

chuckyb

Contributor
Looks like TBP is offering a new cage option, plates along kick panels instead of the full down bars. Any experience, feedback or pics? Seems like it may be a nice option.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Reminds me of what Digger556 did with his cage design in his Bronco.

Todd Z.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Killer. I like it.
Room for my big feet, lol, but still strong.
Digging it.

Interested to hear what our peanut gallery here at CB has to say.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Also in California there will be a tax. Of I’m sorry a fee every time you look at it or touch it .
Need a bronco you must have lived in CA haaa

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just wait till they catch you drinking your organic iced tea with a straw.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Everything in California causes cancer. It's a miracle we all survive.

...until we don't.

It does look a lot like Digger's approach...which I was going to borrow when I built my cage. It's a good idea, and can only be made stronger IMO by tying into the forward cab body mount.

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
...until we don't.

It does look a lot like Digger's approach...which I was going to borrow when I built my cage. It's a good idea, and can only be made stronger IMO by tying into the forward cab body mount.

I like Digger's approach as well but decided to just cut the dash to move the A pillars behind it. I also attached it to the forward cab body mounts, see pictures. If/when I get another one (you know you can't own just one) I think I will do the front like Diggers.

I like that design, good job Toms.

Attachments

• Cage.jpg
    Cage.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 380
  • Cage3.jpg
    Cage3.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 329
  • Cage33.jpg
    Cage33.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 447

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The flat plate method sure saves a lot of the dash work required to go behind the dash, which is something I would like to do as well. At 6'4", I don't have a lot of extra room to spare in the driver's compartment, and getting in and out is a bit of an acrobatic event anyway, so the cleaner it is and the fewer things to bang a knee on the better.

nickgp

Bronco Guru
As far as strength and forward mounting goes, I'm staying with traditional tubing.

Digger556

Reminds me of what Digger556 did with his cage design in his Bronco.

Todd Z.

Probably has something to do with the guy from Tom's hitching a ride with me from Super Celebration up to the James Duff open house. He saw the cage and commented that it was the solution his bosses were pressing him for.

Maybe I'm biased, but I think mine's a little better engineered.;)

Cortez

Bronco Guru
I wouldn’t mind a conversion kit basically with the crossbar and down plates. I’d readily modify my existing cage if a kit were available. Sure would make the interior more user friendly.