• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

302 Timing and Misfire Advance

Bogar

I have a 74 AT 302 w points and it has a nasty misfire and backfire under acceleration. New wires, plugs, cap and rotor without improvement. Did a little more googling and the internet pointed me to timing. She seems to run well until I hook up the vacuum advance and then the nasty misfire cones back. Beyond frustrated and thinking about taking it to a shop (I know but it’s summer after all) and hoping the forum can help. What am I doing wrong or not doing? Thanks a bunch. Mark

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Set base timing to 10 degrees before TDC.

Make sure vacuum advance line is hooked to ported vacuum port on carb and not directly to intake or other carb vacuum source,

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are you still running all the vacuum lines that came on the truck originally? Still running an EGR valve? Is it a dual-diaphragm vacuum advance can, or a single?

When you leave the vacuum line disconnected (and plugged of course) how does it run? Does the erratic running and funny noise go away completely?
Like said, if simply connecting the vacuum hose while the engine is idling makes for a funky running engine, it sounds like full vacuum advance is being introduced. So try connecting a single vacuum line to the timed-vacuum port on the carb.
This full vacuum is pointing to some of the vacuum modulators and timed valves are malfunctioning, if you still have all that stuff intact.
If you are just running one vacuum line from the carb to the advance can, you should definitely use timed, or ported vacuum.

When you do that there is no vacuum signal at idle and it won't act up when you connect the hose.

Did it just start doing this out of the blue?

Paul

OP
OP
Bogar

Bogar

Thanks for the response Paul and I will do my best to answer your questions.

I believe running all stock vacuums lines with a single vacuum advance.

She runs great when the single line is plugged under idle and rev. When I connect the vacuum, she runs ok at idle and terrible under rev.

She was running great until I tried to replace the points with Ignitor II. I couldn’t get her to start with Petronius and ended up reverting to points and condenser and now have the misfire.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, if it ran ok before you took the points and condenser in and out, I would check the point gap, or dwell. Did you set the gap with the points on the high spot on the cam?
Your trouble could also be the condenser. Is the wire screwed to the points, and out of the way? The rotor can snag the wire on some distributors.
I'm surprised the Pertronix gave you trouble. Did you check all the instructions, and set the gap?
Good luck

OP
OP
Bogar

Bogar

Bronco - You made me think about the Petronix again so I went to Jegs this morning and picked up an Ignitor 3. Happy to report she is running great again! No more points to worry about. You guys are great and I still have time to enjoy the sunny Sunday!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Were you able to return the original one, perhaps as defective?
When you installed the original Ignitor, did you make sure to run 12v to the Red wire? In other words, you can't use the original Red w/green Ford wire because it's a resistor wire, so is not 12v. Or did you connect the Red wire directly to the coil's positive?

Glad you got it running better! You sure won't miss (no pun intended%)) having to mess with points anymore.;D

Paul

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
You have a Jegs near enough to just cruise by and grab a part?

Color me gd jealous, lol.

OP
OP
Bogar

Bogar

Jegs was awesome about me exchanging the Petronix II and upgrading to Petronix III. I removed the resistor wire (pink) and spliced into the red/green at the ignition for both ignitors. For whatever reason, Petronix II wouldn't work for me. Possibly, the Petronix II was faulty or maybe the breaker plate was bad.

Jegs is only about 10 minutes away and they have a huge inventory so most parts can be picked up.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That sounds very much like when I had two plug wires crossed. I fought it a month until I accidently found I goofed. The vacuum advance would advance just enough to start sneezing out the intake before the valve got closed. Most problems are generally very simple, once you find them.