• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

For the Master Welders

joshnjulie1

Loc.
Moreno Valley, Ca
I know practice is the key element, but how did you start learning about welding? I really want to learn the correct way, especially since I have to rely on someone to do it for me. What in you opinion is the best way for a rookie to go about learning how to weld? Is it taking a class at a community college then practicing from there? or Getting a welder and learning from mistakes? I know there are different types of welding too, I just want to do the basic like welding up a roll bar to brackets needed on the body.

stokes.greg

I went to the local community college when I was in high school. It was a great start IMHO. The tips and tricks you get from a vet welder are priceless.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I went to the local community college when I was in high school. It was a great start IMHO. The tips and tricks you get from a vet welder are priceless.

that's the best way, you will also learn how metals react to welding as well. there are also a lot of on line videos you can get

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I can get someone started in about 30 minutes of practice on regular steel and a wire welder and then they can go buy a welder and be set with practice. You just need to find someone that will give you a short lesson.

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
Take the CC course, you need the technicals to do it right, then start with a stick welder. It teaches you to see the puddle and develop a rhythm. Any monkey can pull a trigger and burn wire, but if you can't see the puddle it won't be a good weld.

Jim W.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
(I'm no master) but on top of what everybody has said here, start acquiring lots of scrap metal to practice on.

dube

Bronco Guru
Loc.
big lake Mn
all above are good point's. i started welding when i was 14 years old. the first thing i welded was a titianum fan blade for a dc10, my dad was the one that tought me. he worked for the airlines, some people pick it up right away some dont, i was blessed and did. it takes time. try to find someone that knows how to weld and will take the time to show you. like what was said before, any monkey can weld. tought my daughter at the age og four how to do it with a miller wirefeed. most improtent is to know what the metal is doing while you weld it and after. the art of weld is pre stress your part to help with warping.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Going out and buying a cheap mig welder is sorta cheating. You really aren't learning anything about welding. Find someone who welds and ask for help. Help clean his shop up or buy some gas or supplies as payment for the lesson. Anyone can buy a car, learning how to change gears is another! Any old welder would love to teach a you g kid if that you g kid is willing to help clean up his garage! I know I would! Join the Air Force, that's how I learned to weld!

dube

Bronco Guru
Loc.
big lake Mn
very well said crawdad, i am almost 50 and i have kids stop by all the time asking for welding tips. i thought about starting some classes for the youth around here that want,want to learn the art of welding.

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey,

There's a welding supply outlet here in Indy (Sutton-Garten) that does training.

I took a class that focused on MIG on a hobby level; but, they also teach arc (stick) and TIG. The great part is they provide all the scrap stock you burn together. The instructor (Dave) was great. I believe each class was 4-hours long and cost $65/session.

I also bought a used welder (Hobart Ironman that was actually new/never used) and have the ability to work in the garage. I am finding, though, that the class was really a motivator because of the availability of scrap, access to the instructor and an environment free of distractions.

(The class also taught me the importance of duty cycle (at least during practice on a lot of metal). The Hobart 187 tended to kick out once or twice each session. In actual working conditions that probably wouldn't have been as big a deal.)

There are lots of YouTube videos that I viewed, and there's one DVD welding course that was really helpful to me. (Let me know if you'd like the name.)

Good Luck

Jeff

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Another vote for the community college class. I took one about ten years ago, and the instructor was one of those guys who had forgotten more than most people will ever know. Great resource of knowledge.

As others have said, once you get instructed on the basics, get a bunch of scrap and practice, practice, practice. I got really good at overhead at one point, but have since fallen out of practice :(

Youtube also has some pretty good videos.

patterdale

Bronco Guru
A lot of local high schools have community education programs that include welding. If your area has that it is cheaper than a full course at a CC.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
I went the comunity collage route,but the beginner welding teacher had quit and they filled the position with the welding for art teacher.He wasn't interested in teaching anyone to weld.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... Welding man there is a art.. I'm 63 and can weld with a stick I'd say pretty good. When I was in High School Me & another class mate taught for 2 years the younger kids in Ag classes .. He & I taught our class period and then the free period and then study hall period.. I think the teacher was lazy..
.. But after I got home on the farm at 25 or so I found that some of mine were just pretty not strong.
... School stuff was all on clean metal and then my farm stuff is all very dirty.
I still don't own a wire welder. I would really like to have one and I also want a TIG.
... I bought a book to read on the TIG but I read so poorly that I got nothing from the book. I need a class at a CC on this.
... Tig I want to make Thompson Contenders Barrels . weld the block onto the barrel ...chamber .. only should have about 40.00 per barrel as I had it figured.