• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Official Build Thread - Nardo Grey Frame Off

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
On to the fun part of putting nice new clean parts on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

Jc.av8r

Things are moving along. Refurbishing a few parts to re-use and getting full swing into re-assembly.

All the big items are purchased so from here on out it's just making a list of the little bits we need and getting things back in place. Might actually be done in time for summer at this rate...

HiK9sPPh.jpg

UQuRB2Nh.jpg

1lqSrtPh.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jc.av8r

Couple more photos today. Wiring harness, dash, gauge cluster and steering column are in.

20eOYmT.jpg

FwSjQol.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jc.av8r

Wiring is all done. Fuel tank and lines installed. Fenders and grill on.

Moving right along....next to do is get the doors put back together, install glass, roll bar, seats and then finishing touches. We are close!

COjI5rU.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jc.av8r

Lights are on!

Here's what we have left to do:

-Install new exhaust
-Install roll bar
-Install seats
-Install hood
-Install windshield glass
-Paint and install fender flares
-Assemble and install doors
-Install emblem accessories and trim pieces
-Change oil
-Take a long, deep sigh of relief.

zkFamFsh.jpg

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Pretty awesome! Sure is nice when you get over the hump and start assembling everything. Looks really nice. Ken

OP
OP
J

Jc.av8r

Doors are on and roll-bar is in. (Still needs door jams...that gap will line up, don't worry!)

Realizing I am definitely going to need some bigger tires....it will look better with the flares installed, but she looks like she's standing on toothpicks right now.

I can increase the stance width with some 1 1/4" wheel spacers from TBP, but I will be challenged to increase tire diameter in order to fill out the wheel wells a little more, but to also minimize or avoid any overall height increase. Is it possible or would I need to also size down on the wheels?

f57gE83.jpg

7djhkzg.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When you say size-down on the wheels, do you mean diameter or width?
Either way, a larger tire is a larger tire, and no way around it lifting the vehicle even farther than it is now.
The only way to lower height with a taller tire is with less lift.

Then again, you don't really know what you're going to get with a new suspension until all the weight is on the tires and you've driven it a bit to settle it in. And as many know, at least with 'some springs" ;)%) the high stance can remain for quite some time. Especially if you only drive it occasionally and never load it down or flex the suspension.

Best way to tell what you're going to end up with at this point would be to compress the suspension down to the expected ride height. I forget what you have, but for example with a 3.5" suspension lift you would expect to see roughly 10-11 inches between the frame and axle tube in the front, and 9-10 inches in the back.
Add any body lift to the equation, and you've got your settings.

By the way, that thing totally deserves a Special Decor stripe now!
Or a reasonable facsimile thereof. Think Boss 302 stripes, or Corvette hash marks.
I've liked the stripes for awhile, but after seeing more and more of them pop up lately, I like them even more. Your color would just scream for one in just about any color. Red, blue, green, yellow, silver, white, neon orange(!) or whatever the rest of the family votes on.
Just throwing another wrench in the works for you.;D But hey, it would look good.

Paul

OP
OP
J

Jc.av8r

When you say size-down on the wheels, do you mean diameter or width?
Either way, a larger tire is a larger tire, and no way around it lifting the vehicle even farther than it is now.
The only way to lower height with a taller tire is with less lift.

Then again, you don't really know what you're going to get with a new suspension until all the weight is on the tires and you've driven it a bit to settle it in. And as many know, at least with 'some springs" ;)%) the high stance can remain for quite some time. Especially if you only drive it occasionally and never load it down or flex the suspension.

Best way to tell what you're going to end up with at this point would be to compress the suspension down to the expected ride height. I forget what you have, but for example with a 3.5" suspension lift you would expect to see roughly 10-11 inches between the frame and axle tube in the front, and 9-10 inches in the back.
Add any body lift to the equation, and you've got your settings.

By the way, that thing totally deserves a Special Decor stripe now!
Or a reasonable facsimile thereof. Think Boss 302 stripes, or Corvette hash marks.
I've liked the stripes for awhile, but after seeing more and more of them pop up lately, I like them even more. Your color would just scream for one in just about any color. Red, blue, green, yellow, silver, white, neon orange(!) or whatever the rest of the family votes on.
Just throwing another wrench in the works for you.;D But hey, it would look good.

Paul

Thanks man.

Yes, I meant size down on diameter but I guess the overall diameter would still increase with a larger tire. I am going to wait and see what she looks like when she's totally put together. The flares will help...

I have a 3.5" lift, which I sort of regret. I also had to add a 1" body lift in order to fit the new larger fuel tank. It really needed new brakes and suspension when I bought it, and I hadn't thought it all the way through. It also has probably less than 50 miles on that suspension since we started the body restoration soon after.

I may just order a new 2.5" kit...we'll see.

And on the stripe, we have talked about it. I like them too, but we are gonna leave it as is for now and see how we feel after a while.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you decide to lower it I would only go for new front coils. As long as the rear leaf packs are of the multi-leaf variety (9, 10, or 11 leaves) you can usually drop them 1 to 1.5 inches by removing leaves.

Depending on which shocks you are using, you might be able to continue, or you may end up with shorter ones down the road.
Keep the dropped pitman arm and trackbar bracket though.

The good news is that any Bronco suspension part that's almost new is an easy sell item. Plenty of people looking.

Good luck.

Paul

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Don't rush the final assembly! The details of finishing can be maddening as you see the finish line approaching. I've been told I'm "two weeking" mine to death.....Just another two weeks, really! Personal opinion only but I'd forgo the stripes as well. You can always add them later. Work on the wheels/tires/stance till you're happy. A fine Bronco you've created, nice work!