• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine install tips

Thatbroncokid

Getting ready to drop the new 302 in. Any tips for a smooth install? Not sure if I should have the mounts attached to the block or to the frame and drop the engine on top? Also if there's anything I should do to get the input shaft to slide in smooth.

Thanks guys

Hotrodjohn

Easiest way to do this is to bolt on the engine mounts to the block but leave them a little loose so you have some play with the studs coming out of the motor mounts. If you bolt them on tight to block it can be difficult to get both studs in the frame holes because the way they are angled. Once you get the studs of the motor mounts in the frame holes then tighten up the motor mount bolts that go into the block. As for the input shaft use a clutch alignment tool to make sure clutch is straight to center of crank.

BOBS 2 68S

Loc.
Hudson, CO
I bolt the bell housing to the trans. With the bell housing bolted to the trans the clutch fork and throw out bearing are in place. I then put some all thread in the block to bell housing to work as alignment rods. I have done over the years and has worked well for me