• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1970 Raven Black Frame off Build

OP
OP
lgdpt

lgdpt

Not too many rust issues w/that life span :)

Plus it sat under a car port from 1997 until I found it a few years ago. It wasn't exposed to much in its life. Owned by a old UCLA professor that drove it back and forth to work every day until he got too sick to drive and parked it. When he died his neighbor took it to sell for the family. That is who I bought it from.

The day it was posted on Craigslist, I called within an hour of it popping up (~4pm). I asked if I could come see it first thing in the morning. He said he had someone coming at 6 pm to look at it and told me to call back at 7pm. I was teaching a class that night until 10 pm and could hardly focus.

At 7, I called and he still had it bc he had already fielded 2 more calls of full price (10k) offers so he stood firm on the first guy (who only had 9k). I promised to be there at 7 am with cash and a trailer.

I couldn't believe my luck.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Very cool that it worked out in your favor.. Just was meant to be.

Sounds like a smart man that drove it by all rights too :)

Plus it sat under a car port from 1997 until I found it a few years ago. It wasn't exposed to much in its life. Owned by a old UCLA professor that drove it back and forth to work every day until he got too sick to drive and parked it. When he died his neighbor took it to sell for the family. That is who I bought it from.

The day it was posted on Craigslist, I called within an hour of it popping up (~4pm). I asked if I could come see it first thing in the morning. He said he had someone coming at 6 pm to look at it and told me to call back at 7pm. I was teaching a class that night until 10 pm and could hardly focus.

At 7, I called and he still had it bc he had already fielded 2 more calls of full price (10k) offers so he stood firm on the first guy (who only had 9k). I promised to be there at 7 am with cash and a trailer.

I couldn't believe my luck.

OP
OP
lgdpt

lgdpt

Anti-Sway Bar Kit

Lots of little issues in the past week. What should have been a 3-4 hour job adding an Anti-Sway Bar Kit turned into several days (waiting for parts and tinkering).

First when I removed the springs I couldn't get them back in (upper retaining clip wouldn't go into place. I ordered new lower spring cups and that got me closer and I really like them. But finally I had to massage the upper clips by changing the angles and bending them a little.

Next the stabilizer bar hits on my '77-'79 full size box (4x4x2). Its a big box and has the mounting bracket that really makes it wide. The solution was to shove the bar all the way to the driver side and flip the retaining pin to the outside. It worked and I am happy with how it turned out.

Next up is re-doing the heater box, resealing, and reinstalling it all.

Attachments

• Bronco stabilizer.JPG
    Bronco stabilizer.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 214
  • bronco stabilizer 2.JPG
    bronco stabilizer 2.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 205
  • Bronco stabilizer 3.JPG
    Bronco stabilizer 3.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 259

chuckyb

Contributor
Most steps seem to be more complicated as you get into it. Good progress though!

OP
OP
lgdpt

lgdpt

Heater box torn apart, cleaned, painted, and resealed. New core. New motor. Started putting brakes together too.

Attachments

• IMG_1298.JPG
    IMG_1298.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1299.JPG
    IMG_1299.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_1297.JPG
    IMG_1297.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_1296.JPG
    IMG_1296.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1295.JPG
    IMG_1295.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 138

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
I don’t think I would be able to sleep if that project was in my garage. I would be working on it every minute! Very very cool truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
lgdpt

lgdpt

Thanks guys, I wish I could... I work 2 jobs and have 3 kids under 11... Garage time is severely lacking. But I am trying.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wow, that's looking great. Maybe even top it off with some insulation on the parts you can't see poking out under the dash. Like some sort of stick-on product that's an insulator for both sound and heat.
I've always wanted to tone down the heater motor/fan just to dampen one more noise-maker that make up a Bronco.
Heck, even Dynamat might just do the trick.

Paul

OP
OP
lgdpt

lgdpt

Wow, that's looking great. Maybe even top it off with some insulation on the parts you can't see poking out under the dash. Like some sort of stick-on product that's an insulator for both sound and heat.
I've always wanted to tone down the heater motor/fan just to dampen one more noise-maker that make up a Bronco.
Heck, even Dynamat might just do the trick.

Paul

Thanks Paul! Can you clarify what you mean by parts I can’t see under the dash? I’m all for improving this and you know 10X more than me. Thank you

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just that the air box/heater plenum/thingy is half exposed, and half up under the dash where you can't see it under casual observation. You could still see most of the box if you get down low and look up of course, but as a passenger you would never notice some insulation packed around the fiberglass body of the plenum.

And in fact, if you can find something that is just plain black (without any printing on it in other words) you could stick it on the entire box and not have it look out of place. That sticky-back stuff can sit pretty flat, without lumps or wrinkles, once it's laid down.

Just thinking that anything that dampens the inside sounds of the heater would leave you with just the sound of moving air. And that would be an improvement I would think.
Not only that, but in the summer it would keep residual heat that always seems to lurk in the heater system, inside where it belongs.

The same sound deadening concept would be good for the wiper motor cover as well. The wipers are kind of annoying. You can get them much quieter in many cases simply by pulling the little metal cover off of the wiper motor's gearbox section and cleaning it up and re-packing the gears with fresh grease.
But a layer of sound deadening would minimize the sounds even more. Including any rattling of the linkage.

Paul

OP
OP
lgdpt

lgdpt

Just that the air box/heater plenum/thingy is half exposed, and half up under the dash where you can't see it under casual observation. You could still see most of the box if you get down low and look up of course, but as a passenger you would never notice some insulation packed around the fiberglass body of the plenum.

And in fact, if you can find something that is just plain black (without any printing on it in other words) you could stick it on the entire box and not have it look out of place. That sticky-back stuff can sit pretty flat, without lumps or wrinkles, once it's laid down.

Just thinking that anything that dampens the inside sounds of the heater would leave you with just the sound of moving air. And that would be an improvement I would think.
Not only that, but in the summer it would keep residual heat that always seems to lurk in the heater system, inside where it belongs.

The same sound deadening concept would be good for the wiper motor cover as well. The wipers are kind of annoying. You can get them much quieter in many cases simply by pulling the little metal cover off of the wiper motor's gearbox section and cleaning it up and re-packing the gears with fresh grease.
But a layer of sound deadening would minimize the sounds even more. Including any rattling of the linkage.

Paul

Got it! Great ideas, thank you.

OP
OP
lgdpt

lgdpt

Powder coated the dash and am busy putting it back together.

Attachments

• IMG_1423.JPG
    IMG_1423.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1424.JPG
    IMG_1424.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_1425.JPG
    IMG_1425.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 119
OP
OP
lgdpt

lgdpt

Oh and I picked these up.... Amazing wealth of info and detailed schematics and pictures. Highly recommended and I saw several sets on ebay still available. I paid $75 for these.

Attachments

• books.JPG
    books.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 125
OP
OP
lgdpt

lgdpt

Thanks guys!

Here is the latest 1 step forward and 2 steps back. I started to get my wiring harness prepped for install by putting the fuses in the block. Well the last two wont go in.... The receiver is "shifted" and wont allow for the fuse to go in. You can see in the picture and you can see the fuse is even cut from the piece blocking the entrance.

Called American Autowire and they are sending me a new harness. I sent them the pics and they didn't hesitate to offer me a replacement.

Thank God I didn't find this problem after spending days installing it.

Attachments

• IMG_1431.JPG
    IMG_1431.JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1433.JPG
    IMG_1433.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 65