• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Talked in to it

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So...I've been asked many times to take on various EB projects for "others". Only said I would a couple times over the last 20 years. But I took this one in last week. I am so disgusted with every detail of the mechanical details and body work that is in this thing...and the poor feller that paid top dollar for it had no idea. I feel bad...I spent maybe 20 minutes going around it ..he calls it a '68 but it's a complete mutt..pointing out how many body repairs it had been subjected to..most very, very poorly. This hobby is getting out of control because of the money involved.

Attachments

• IMG_1153[1].jpg
    IMG_1153[1].jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 697

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Your secret is safe with us.

We won't tell anybody what a sweetheart you are. We will keep your ornery tough guy reputation safe.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Lipstick on a pig
I was at a mecum auction about 4years ago checking out broncos and one looked great, new paint new interior. But one look underneath Nothing was changed c bushings rotting out wires hanging all over the place shocks painted black to hide that the were the originals or at least 30years old , all the steering bushings were bad,
Hate when people do that

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Hope you step up the process a lil. That po ole thang in the background has been waiting for some time to get some wheel movement :(

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
You're a good man.. Good luck

So...I've been asked many times to take on various EB projects for "others". Only said I would a couple times over the last 20 years. But I took this one in last week. I am so disgusted with every detail of the mechanical details and body work that is in this thing...and the poor feller that paid top dollar for it had no idea. I feel bad...I spent maybe 20 minutes going around it ..he calls it a '68 but it's a complete mutt..pointing out how many body repairs it had been subjected to..most very, very poorly. This hobby is getting out of control because of the money involved.

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bill, your kindness brings a tear to my eye... **Sniff sniff**

No Hay

Bronco Guru
On the surface, it sure looks saving though. It's only money.

You're right, the money is ruining a lot of hobbies, and people.

Good to hear another will be saved.

OP
OP
bmc69

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's a real Johnny Cash special. It has a late-model 200 I-6 .... maybe a 1980, judging from the casting numbers...with a Holley 1940 1V carb on it, auto choke. The owner listed getting the manual choke working again on the list of things he wanted, but that's not happening. He was rather surprised to learn what engine is in it. :D

It has the later-style window frame with electric wipers..and no hook on the hood for the windshield..but has the chrome-knobbed windshield fasteners. Has later-model orange turn signal assys in the grill.....

What I'm doing:

WH 2.5" lift, complete
WH front disk and power brake conversion
Rebuild carb and get engine running properly.

OP
OP
bmc69

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Lipstick on a pig
I was at a mecum auction about 4years ago checking out broncos and one looked great, new paint new interior. But one look underneath Nothing was changed c bushings rotting out wires hanging all over the place shocks painted black to hide that the were the originals or at least 30years old , all the steering bushings were bad,
Hate when people do that

That's this one to a "t". But all that is getting fixed now. The guy said it was barely driveable enough to get it to my shop.:p

OP
OP
bmc69

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
me too then I figured out it was the onion;D
Good luck with the rebuild, wonder how many other surprises you will find

Last time I shed a tear was when I dropped a bottle of Corona whilst popping the top on it.:-[

eb-nutt1

My dad worked on one of those recently, all original, uncut 68 with the matching numbers 289. Problem was it was a complete rust bucket a body shop patched at and put a slick paint job on. Had been tied up in a lawsuit for 5 years and after the owner won, he brought it to my dad to get running so he could sell to recoup his money, owner was way past lost interest in it. He sold it to a car flipper for 13k who promptly listed it for 23k with the first line in the ad being no RUST anywhere! I've started to call him out on the ad, but no one has bought it yet, so apparently everyone that looks at it is seeing what a rust bucket it is, thank god.

OP
OP
bmc69

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Problem was it was a complete rust bucket a body shop patched at and put a slick paint job on.

That is exactly what this one is, bodywise. Including some of what I call "stupid shortcuts"; the floor pans were replaced with flat sheet metal, for example. Fer cryin' out loud, the "correct looking" repair panels are cheap enough.

Most of the body on this thing was replaced or patched...and it suffers mightily from the typical lack of attention to panel alignment that seems to characterize so many similar repair projects...including some of my own in past years.:D

So far though, no nasty surprises in the suspension or driveline. We're on a mission to make this a nice driver.

OP
OP
bmc69

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Coming along...

Front axle goes back in tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_1165[1].jpg
    IMG_1165[1].jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1166[1].jpg
    IMG_1166[1].jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 142

eb-nutt1

Bill--"correct patch panels"...this body shop cut sheetmetal replacement panels for the inner fender panels in front of the cowl and pop riveted them into place, then rtv'ed over the panels to cover them up and blend into the engine compartment...put some kind of rocker skins over the rusted out rocker panels, along with a bunch of other sheetmetal patches. The front door post and inner fenders were so bad the doors literally dropped a inch down when unlatched. It was slick on the outside though!

OP
OP
bmc69

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bill--"correct patch panels"...this body shop cut sheetmetal replacement panels for the inner fender panels in front of the cowl and pop riveted them into place, then rtv'ed over the panels to cover them up and blend into the engine compartment...put some kind of rocker skins over the rusted out rocker panels, along with a bunch of other sheetmetal patches. The front door post and inner fenders were so bad the doors literally dropped a inch down when unlatched. It was slick on the outside though!

Are you talking about the EB I'm working on specifically, Brian? sure sounds like it..LOL .

Last edited:

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
This kind of stuff really breaks my heart. The quick money guys...

Too much profit in the good ones making the bad ones worth way more than the should be...