Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat

Old 06/14/18, 09:44 AM   #1
gladrich

Altamont

My Gallery
trans pan gasket

Had my transmission rebuilt many years ago. I found that it was leaking fluid but the place that rebuilt it went out of business soon after the rebuild. Trans works fine but theres always trans fluid under the truck. The gasket does look a little askew and I am thinking about changing the gasket but I am not sure if it is an easy job...drain oil, remove cover, remove old gasket, install new gasket, install cover, fill with oil. Never done it before. Looking for some advice. Thanks.

1973, 302, C4, Dana 20, Dual exhaust (Flowmasters) 2 inch body lift, Edelborck performer intake, Holley 4bbl, power brakes, and some other stuff
gladrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/18, 11:13 AM   #2
75MIKE

If you want instant coffee ,you'll have to wait.

N. E. Washington
Leave a bolt loose in one of the corners of the pan so you can pour the fluid out of the opposite corner into your drain tray. A little less mess than having everything drop at once.

75 Ranger 351w,C4, Edelbrock stuff,Carter625,2.5in. James Duff lift,Double shocked,Disc brakes,Uncut
75MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/18, 11:31 AM   #3
Rustytruck
Contributor
Bronco Guru

honest the bolder ran under me

El Monte CA
Garage
Possible pitfalls the nut holding the dipstick tube. use proper wrenches here as once you crush the nut your screwed. Once you get the nut off the pan it will drain out the fluid so be prepared.

The reason its leaking is either the nuts are too tight and bent the lip of the pan or the gasket is junk. I prefer once piece thick cork gasket that has not been packaged bent. You will need to make sure the bolt holes and transmission flange is flat. You will most likely have to massage the pan lip flat.

Tighten the bolts when you reinstall with a nut driver by hand over tightening will cause a leak again. Do not use silicone sealant on the pan gasket. silicone inside an automatic tranny is a big no no. I glue the pan gasket to the pan with Gasgacinch nothing on the tranny side.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_9avadsjq2t_e

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/C4-...SABEgJsyfD_BwE

1974, stock 302, C4, BFG KM2 33x12.5x15, 8in rim, detroit rear, trutrac front 4.11 gearing, Warflairs,2.5" lift, chevy disc conversion, Hydraboost, owned since Christmas Eve 1977
Rustytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/18, 01:21 PM   #4
JSBX
Contributor

heeps, dime a dozen. BRONCOS PRICELESS

Columbia La.
While you have the pan off anyway might as well change the filter. Watch out for the pin and spring that will drop out when you pull the filter.
JSBX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/18, 04:03 PM   #5
ransil
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Pittsburgh Pa.
Garage
Last time I did mine I got a cork gasket from eBay, it was packed flat.

Filter can be changed , but it's just a screen and not so much filter.

You will make a mess.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/18, 04:10 PM   #6
Hotrodjohn

Southlake, Texas

My Gallery
Garage
cork!!!! and a flat pan around the edges. or get a lube locker gasket, but they are expensive
Hotrodjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/18, 07:01 PM   #7
cs_88
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Shall not be infringed.

Riverton, Utah

My Gallery
Garage
In my opinion, don't waste your money on the Moroso silicone gasket. worked only for a short time for me then came apart.
My latest attempt at sealing the C4 is a cork gasket with a little Permatex ATF sealant on both sides of the gasket along with Jeff's reinforcement ring.
So far so good.

https://www.permatex.com/products/ga...-gasket-maker/

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/C4-...SABEgJsyfD_BwE

'74 U151 Bronco Explorer, WH 2.5"SL, C4, 33's, 4.11's, Aussie locker up front, factory LS in back, 351W Edelbrock intake, Summit 600 CFM carb, stock hood no BL no problem, Flowmaster 50's.
'99 F250 V10 ridin' on 35's. '97 Explorer 5.0
cs_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/18, 08:19 PM   #8
blubuckaroo
Contributor
Grease Monkey

I factory ordered it

Ridgefield WA

My Gallery
Make sure your leak is from the pan gasket before pulling it.
Most of the time it's one of the two shift shaft seals.
The shift shaft has two seals. one hat requires the removal of the pan, and one that is an o-ring that can be replaced by simply removing the shift shaft from the tranny. Either of these will drip on the pan flange, making it look like a leaking pan gasket.

'77 Ranger/cut F&R/PS/PB/Vintage Air/2" suspension lift/1" body lift/T tie rod conversion/33-1050-15 BFG K02 tires/ 302/ Edelbrock 500 CFM 4 bbl/Aero Tanks/ Hooker Headers/ dual ex/ NV3550/ B&M shifter/ JB FabTwin Sticks/ 4.11s/rear posi.
blubuckaroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/15/18, 07:09 AM   #9
gladrich

Altamont

My Gallery
Thanks for all the good advice guys. I really appreciate the input!

1973, 302, C4, Dana 20, Dual exhaust (Flowmasters) 2 inch body lift, Edelborck performer intake, Holley 4bbl, power brakes, and some other stuff
gladrich is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat