• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Project Glovebox Build

eshallbetter

Well, I sold my old 73 about 3-4 years ago after my son was born. You know how it goes, it was the first early bronco I ever owned, but it wasn’t getting wheeled much, so it went up for sale.

3030e365d6f9fe0d05a806daf2753265.jpg

Seeing as how it had sentimental value, when I sold it I kept the title and the glovebox door. The long term plan is to put it towards a mid life crisis project. Given how long it takes me to finish a project, I decided I better give it a 5-10 year head start. No way I’m paying the stupid asking prices for these things, so I’m starting the design from scratch.

I started my layout and I’ll slowly be designing it in my free time over the next year or so (I hope.) I started with a surface model of the body I purchased on line. I stretched the body 12”. I pulled the “uncut” rear wheel well up, and stretched the opening front to back as well to hide the body stretch. I wanted to give more tire clearance for a 35, but keep the look of an uncut fender. From there I started my space claims for the chassis.

cee24aa9a87f79a6a8b3fc0a5ac81990.png

74fb8b52d996f5203724cef4f2b4cbb8.png

d680767a7e6e997be190d9d2330b7ff7.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaveBronco

Very Cool, Cant wait to follow the build thread.
Often thought about stretching but don't have the guts...

metal1

Loc.
hidesert ,socal
the nicest stretch I saw was through the doors and seat floor area moving the seats back as well .the fit was very nice for tall or long legged persons ;)

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
So if I'm looking at it correctly, you're gonna get part of the stretch on the top by adding 6" at the area just behind the door and 6" added in the center of the top in the side window area. How hard is it gonna be to remake the windows on each side? I figured that any glass shop can get glass for it but how will you address the opening and what will you do for a gasket?
Looks like a sweet rig though.

Randy

OP
OP
E

eshallbetter

Plan for the top will be to add length both in front and behind, as well as in the glass. Getting new glass made is easy, as it’s just a flat piece of glass.

I don’t have a solution for the side window gasket as I don’t have any reference for what the stock profile looks like. If anyone has a section they can post a pic of that would be sweet.

Thanks,

Erik

OP
OP
E

eshallbetter

I was envisioning something similar to this profile by trim lok. It only needs an 1/8” sheetmetal flange in the top.

4a1f314956ebefeb56b52450bf7dd663.png

I figured you could also run two sections of OEM trim, and try and seam them at someplace towards the middle

OP
OP
E

eshallbetter

is that modeling file available? super cool

I purchased the original CAD surface model through Hum3D.com. I’ve done all the fender modifications and body stretching as well as stripped it of the unnecessary parts.

8787008ed621da666863026de19e1097.png

I am really only using the surfaces of the CAD model as the project I am designing will be all fiberglass body panels with only the doors being steel, and the interior paneling will be done via aluminum/steel panels over tube work.

ame

Looks good, keep tire turning radius in mind when putting a Bypass shock in front of the axle as when the tire turns it can hit the tubes if not planned out right!

OP
OP
E

eshallbetter

Looks good, keep tire turning radius in mind when putting a Bypass shock in front of the axle as when the tire turns it can hit the tubes if not planned out right!

Good call! I’ve been trying to decide if it’s worth running a bypass on the truck. I wanted to at least package for it. I’ll have to be specific on the tube layout if it gets tight, and I’m sure it will. I’m hoping to package around an “off the shelf” bypass.

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I purchased the original CAD surface model through Hum3D.com. I’ve done all the fender modifications and body stretching as well as stripped it of the unnecessary parts.

8787008ed621da666863026de19e1097.png

That's the same 3D base model I used to put my Bronco in a video game I play. ;D

Attachments

• 20180622210010_1.jpg
    20180622210010_1.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 63

ame

Good call! I’ve been trying to decide if it’s worth running a bypass on the truck. I wanted to at least package for it. I’ll have to be specific on the tube layout if it gets tight, and I’m sure it will. I’m hoping to package around an “off the shelf” bypass.

Depends what you are wanting to do with the truck but a properly valved 2.5" smooth body shock is still very capable and while bypass shock paired with a coil over looks awesome its likely far from needed!

OP
OP
E

eshallbetter

Depends what you are wanting to do with the truck but a properly valved 2.5" smooth body shock is still very capable and while bypass shock paired with a coil over looks awesome its likely far from needed!

Agreed. I currently have a full-size bronco set up for desert with C/O and Bypasses, and the intent for this truck would most likely be to replace the full-size with a truck that can pre-run and chase Baja, run some trails in Moab, and go get ice cream with the family on weekends. It’s getting hard to justify two Broncos when my wife wants a boat and I want to get the kiddo on a dirt bike.

I plan to make more money in the future, but unfortunately, right now it’s just a half assed plan.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

eshallbetter

Got some more CAD layout work done. Slow going but I’ve been taking it a little at a time and enjoying the work.

4206b11121379ad12665f42300e8abbf.jpg

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Lookin good, what program is that?

I've been working on some models in Blender for a video game (Mudrunner). Way cheaper than building the real thing.;D

Attachments

• 77bronco.jpg
    77bronco.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 20180713212118_1.jpg
    20180713212118_1.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
E

eshallbetter

Dang! That’s sweet that you can create your entire vehicle for a video game. The end result looks awesome!

I’m using Solidworks for the modeling. I’d like to build it some day, but as you say, it’s cheaper to build it on the computer.