• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351W SVO Crate engine purchase advice needed please

fishinman78

Contributor
I found a guy that has a new, never fired 351W crate engine in his garage that I am thinking about making an offer on to replace the 302 in my '71

It is an older motorsports product M-6007-B351

It is 9.0 compression
GT40 iron heads
Hypereutectic pistons
SVO Marine long block
Cam is M-6250-A335 .491 Intake/.509 Exhaust 220/230 duration installed on a 107 center line with 112 lobe separation.
Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake
Aluminum Motorsports valve covers
Water pump
Timing chain cover
Electronic Distributor
Rated at 346 HP @ 5750 RPM, 364 Torque at 4250 RPM

This engine has been sitting since 1996 (22 yrs) in his garage. Never installed, never ran. I am assuming I will need to take it apart and at least put new gaskets in it.

I also think the cam is probably too big for what I want. Its an F4TE roller block so I thought I would swap the cam for something better suited for a Bronco.

My bronco doesn't get driven a whole lot, but I am looking for more than the little 302 can provide!! I don't want a stroker, and I would say I am trying to find something budget minded that is reliable.

Any words of advice or caution?

I see lots of long blocks on the internet with Iron heads for around $3k but I am going to have to put some work into this one.

What would be a fair offer?

I found this picture online but that is about all I have been able to find.

Attachments

• DSC_0451_zps2cda8592.jpg
    DSC_0451_zps2cda8592.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I dunno... Sounds like a decent find even with that cam!
I don't think it's too radical in a 351 block, but then again that particular one does put the torque output a bit weak, and at a pretty high rpm peak rpm level. So maybe not optimum for a Bronco, but not a bad cam overall. Maybe not as bad as the B303 in the 302's is!

What were they when new? Was that one of the $3500-ish engines? Or was it more than that? Seems like back then they were not near what they are today.
And because it was never run, the gaskets and seals may even be serviceable as is. But I hear you on wanting to change them out on principal.
If the engine had been run at all, even just a couple thousand miles, things like seals and gaskets would all be suspect automatically. But never run? Not sure.

But a bore scope in a spark plug hole to inspect the cylinder walls would seem like a good idea no matter what.

Are you thinking of a price to offer him yet? Seems like $2500 is fair-to-high due to it's relatively old age.
Or fair-to-low just for all the new parts.

But if it's a for sure thing you're going to pull it apart and refresh it, as little as possible would be called for. If you run into the need for a re-hone job you're pulling it all down and paying a machine shop cost (unless you do that yourself, which is a perfectly legit garage weekend project), then I would think $1500 might be a max price for an unknown that's 20 years old easily.

Good luck. What kind of numbers did you have in your mind?

Paul

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Fishinman, my 351 sat for 20 years and never was fired. it is a warranty replacement 94 f250 engine. came complete front to back and top to bottom. the only thing i did was use a drill to circulate the new oil I put in it and then hand turn it for a turn or two. after that I fired it up and havent looked back. the only gaskets i changed were intake and thats because i put a carb on it. no problems so far

OP
OP
fishinman78

fishinman78

Contributor
I dunno... Sounds like a decent find even with that cam!
I don't think it's too radical in a 351 block, but then again that particular one does put the torque output a bit weak, and at a pretty high rpm peak rpm level. So maybe not optimum for a Bronco, but not a bad cam overall. Maybe not as bad as the B303 in the 302's is!

What were they when new? Was that one of the $3500-ish engines? Or was it more than that? Seems like back then they were not near what they are today.
And because it was never run, the gaskets and seals may even be serviceable as is. But I hear you on wanting to change them out on principal.
If the engine had been run at all, even just a couple thousand miles, things like seals and gaskets would all be suspect automatically. But never run? Not sure.

But a bore scope in a spark plug hole to inspect the cylinder walls would seem like a good idea no matter what.

Are you thinking of a price to offer him yet? Seems like $2500 is fair-to-high due to it's relatively old age.
Or fair-to-low just for all the new parts.

But if it's a for sure thing you're going to pull it apart and refresh it, as little as possible would be called for. If you run into the need for a re-hone job you're pulling it all down and paying a machine shop cost (unless you do that yourself, which is a perfectly legit garage weekend project), then I would think $1500 might be a max price for an unknown that's 20 years old easily.

Good luck. What kind of numbers did you have in your mind?

Paul

Paul,

It seems like I found something that it was in the high $3k new.

I was thinking 2k might be a fair price, considering the age and what not, plus I am pretty sure changing the cam would be something I would want to do since it is a hydraulic flat tappet.

OP
OP
fishinman78

fishinman78

Contributor
Fishinman, my 351 sat for 20 years and never was fired. it is a warranty replacement 94 f250 engine. came complete front to back and top to bottom. the only thing i did was use a drill to circulate the new oil I put in it and then hand turn it for a turn or two. after that I fired it up and havent looked back. the only gaskets i changed were intake and thats because i put a carb on it. no problems so far

How do you like the power? I am assuming this would be the factory heads and factory roller cam for the 1994 F250

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
there is a giddiness about the first time you crack open a 351 and feel the torque difference....as I always say...nobody ever says " I am glad I took that 351 out and put a 302 in! " ;)

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
yep all stock. went for dependability not hot rod. it sounds good with mustang shorties on it and an old set of walker super turbos. not loud but has great no drone rumble. as tasker said, torque is great. I can run all over town in third gear and it just pulls and pulls. oh and im still rinning 3.50 gears with 36' tires so the torque helps alot. Im also runnin a M5OD trans but I can never use OD. i sometimes put it in OD for a bit on flat land but thats just to exercise it. lol you wont regret it

If that is the engine I think it is then you should prolly replace the cam for a torquier cam. the explorer or truck cams are pretty good but I think the one in that engine comes in at high RP. maybe?

just looked and 5750 rpm for the hp and 4250 for the torque. i run in the 1500 to 2500 rpm most the time and it pulls great. IM thinkin a cam change is definatley in your future.

that is the engine alot of my mustang buddies bought for racing

OP
OP
fishinman78

fishinman78

Contributor
yep all stock. went for dependability not hot rod. it sounds good with mustang shorties on it and an old set of walker super turbos. not loud but has great no drone rumble. as tasker said, torque is great. I can run all over town in third gear and it just pulls and pulls. oh and im still rinning 3.50 gears with 36' tires so the torque helps alot. Im also runnin a M5OD trans but I can never use OD. i sometimes put it in OD for a bit on flat land but thats just to exercise it. lol you wont regret it

If that is the engine I think it is then you should prolly replace the cam for a torquier cam. the explorer or truck cams are pretty good but I think the one in that engine comes in at high RP. maybe?

just looked and 5750 rpm for the hp and 4250 for the torque. i run in the 1500 to 2500 rpm most the time and it pulls great. IM thinkin a cam change is definatley in your future.

that is the engine alot of my mustang buddies bought for racing

I'm thinking along the same lines. I don't need aluminum heads and roller rockers, all the stuff that requires extra maintenance. I want to upgrade the 302, but I am looking for reliability and drivability.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
its a great engine just change the cam. then you will be replacing the gaskets you were worried about. lol the heads and rockers are a great upgrade

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
All about how it was stored. Pop a plug out and check the bore. Look through the exhaust port on the head and see if there is rust.

It's more than likely fine but verify. Heck, turn it over by hand and see if it's smooth.

As to cam.....it all depends on what you like and plan to do with it. I like my torque down low but others like the higher RPM torque band.

Tim

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
there is a giddiness about the first time you crack open a 351 and feel the torque difference....as I always say...nobody ever says " I am glad I took that 351 out and put a 302 in! " ;)

/\/\Wise Words/\/\

Torque....mmmmm....its tasty.,

Jluck

Keep the cam, hard to beat the factory R&D, seal it up drop it in. Might check the valve springs on the compressed valves before but I wouldn't bother personally.

Montoya

I agree with Jluck. I say run it as is and if you need to swap things out later so be it but might as well give her hell. I think $2500 as DirtDonk said is fair so I'd offer $2k and see if he wants to deal.

Story time! In high school I worked for a Mopar shop. We had a crate engine hemi sitting in the corner since 1969. Never had the plastic taken off. Did exactly what Crush said and as a 16 year old with let's just say a lack of respect for life, I drove the piss out of the Plymouth Belvedere we put it in and it lived a long healthy life...till nitrous but that wasn't me. ;)

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I`d offer the least amount as possible start at a few hundred it been sitting 20 +years he not going to use it ;)

using the "sitting for so long", i would start at 1500.00 if he ask you to make an offer.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I`d offer the least amount as possible start at a few hundred it been sitting 20 +years he not going to use it ;)

using the "sitting for so long", i would start at 1500.00 if he ask you to make an offer.

It's pretty easy to increase what you offer, but really hard to lower it.
Sitting that long he is likely more interested in getting it out of the way than making a pile of money.

OP
OP
fishinman78

fishinman78

Contributor
All good info. I appreciate it. I think I am going to go borrow a scope and check it out today or tomorrow.

I think $1500.00 would be a good number, pending inspection. I'll just drop it in and see what happens

tirewater

Contributor
Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
All good info. I appreciate it. I think I am going to go borrow a scope and check it out today or tomorrow.

I think $1500.00 would be a good number, pending inspection. I'll just drop it in and see what happens

$1500 seems high for something with a lot of unknowns. There's no warranty, if the manufacturer did something wrong then you're left with a pile of parts.

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
You mentioned it’s a roller block but then mentioned flat tappet cam, usually a roller block has a roller cam which has different lifters than a non-roller block. I would try to verify which one it has, rollerblock and cam being the most desirable. Good luck and keep us posted.