• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Disipate engine bay heat

powers4680

What is the best way to dissipate engine bay heat? Is hood louvers, or the wheel well cut outs better?

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I have wheel wells cut out, works good I think it looks better than a louvered hood

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
In theory the louvers would be more efficient because the heat itself can rise up and out even with little help from the fan.
But I believe (though I've never measured it) the area of the wheel well ventilators is larger than most louver setups, and with the fan moving air under there can push a lot of air out that part of the compartment.

A good trick is to lower the heat that's generated of course. That would be to either use a ceramic coating or heat wrap around the exhaust manifolds or headers.
If headers, there seems to be more heat released right there at the engine compartment anyway. That could be just imagination, but there is more exposed area of tubing on a header than there would be on a cast manifold, so that could be why it feels hotter with headers.

Another air flow trick is to block the gap between the grill and core support with shielding of some kind. You can make your own as testing, or get something like we sell such as these: WH Air Dam & Tool Tray to better control the air flow through the radiator and out the back.

Of course, the usual suspects of a good large fan and a good full coverage shroud, are naturally part of the equation.

Paul

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
What is the best way to dissipate engine bay heat? Is hood louvers, or the wheel well cut outs better?

First, explain your heat issues. The circumstances and the equipment we're talking about.
Unless yours is a wild, crazy high horsepower, fire breathing Bronco, then anything other than OEM type radiators, water pumps, and tranny coolers will do the job easily.
If yours can't be fixed with good factory parts, you've got maintenance problems.
That's where your local radiator shop comes in handy.

OP
OP
powers4680

powers4680

I typically don’t have any heating issues. I’m running a 5.3 ls with a ls hot cam. Outside temp on Saturday was 95. If I hit traffic in that temp the engine temp creeps up a little to about 220 range. Typically it runs 190. So I was thinking it may help to either add the Louvers or the fender vents just to help out. It can’t hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bronco4x4

My EB is similar but maybe 215 in traffic. One thought I had was to install some fans/ducts from undereath. Look into boat suppliers. That's how they remove heat from engine enclosures.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Is the cooling system set-up specifically for an LS engine, including that little hose?

Electric fan or engine driven? Which type or brand? If electric, what controls it?

Vertical or cross-flow radiator?

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I cutout the fender wells and added a hood scoop and it helped a bunch but correct ign. timing and a big mechanical fan with well fitting shroud helps most of all.

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
If you're not using the driver vent or the heater, remove the seals to the hood. You could go so far as capping the vent and remove the heater intake, that opens up a lot of area to let the heat out and is easily reversible if it doesn't make a difference at zero cost.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Those grills are sitting at the front edge of a high pressure zone when at speed. So heat out when moving slow and cold in while moving fast.

I'd make sure of the system's basics before doing any of the exotic stuff.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Maybe, and maybe not. Having crossed the I-10 between Banning & PHX in a V8 Vega that wouldn't stay cool unless the rear opening hood was popped up I can tell you that it roasted us. All of that engine bay heat curled around the windshield and came into the passenger area. Would make for a un-fun trail ride if this did the same thing.

I'm still waiting on the system particulars.