• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 44 axle truss question.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Anything would certainly help, however the BTF truss is more geared towards mounting a triangulated 4-link than stiffening the axle housing for jumping purposes. That said, there's nothing really to keep you from boxing it in and extending it out to the radius arm mounts.

I don't see one on their site, but you might give Artec Industries a call, as I know they make some decent trusses for the Jeep applications.

Ideally, you'd convert to a 4-link w/ coilovers, truss the axle knuckle to knuckle, and then beat the living snot out of it, but there's a lot of ground between a stock Bronco and there.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I was jumping my rig at the Unevent in Florence Oregon at the dunes. The guys from toms bronco said i should truss my axle. I found this company called Blue Torch Fab. that makes a ford dana 44 axle truss. i was wondering if this would work??

here is the link:
http://www.bluetorchfab.com/Product/788/BTF-Dana-44-Front-Truss-System-Ford.aspx

Is ground clearance a primary area of concern/need for you? If not, and you're going to be jumping frequently, you might consider an old-school cable truss that essentially turns your housing into a stressed member. There aren't a lot of folks around that can install them these days - we have one on the Stroppe we raced in NORRA the past two years and that you probably saw at the Unevent. We eventually plan to install one on the front end in our own racer as its front axle has seen a little too much air time and it's been straightened at least once before.

Todd Z.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
You have too much stuff on top of the Bronco Dana 44 with the frame and trac bar up there. You pretty much have to work from the bottom. Duff started it a long time ago with machined collars and a strap across the bottom. I use to run a cheap one that used interlocking hooks burned from steel plate on each end with a rod across but I always felt it was junk.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Duff probably still has a few back in the warehouse.
Worth given Suzy a call.

Woodys 4x4

Loc.
Vancouver, WA
B0fra

Hey all! We have this Dana 44 axle truss made by Duff if anyone is interested in it. Brand new, box and all. Message me if anyone is interested.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Nice piece - classic Duff item! Designed by Duane Kennedy back in the day.

Todd Z.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
A truss on the underside of the axle housing is stronger than a truss on top, but loss of ground clearance killed them in the market.
If you don't need more ground clearance like a sand dune jumper instead of rock crawler or mud bogger does then the bottom side will work well.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You have too much stuff on top of the Bronco Dana 44 with the frame and trac bar up there. You pretty much have to work from the bottom. Duff started it a long time ago with machined collars and a strap across the bottom. I use to run a cheap one that used interlocking hooks burned from steel plate on each end with a rod across but I always felt it was junk.

Had one of those too! Desert Dynamics maybe? Thinking there was one more similar in name that had one just like that but I forget what they were called.
Man, hard to pull some of those names out of the old memory anymore. Lots of companies making them that have gone by the wayside.

Paul