• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fusible link question

Birddog75

I just blew my fusible link on my 1970 due to an exposed/ broke wire on my alternator harness. I just ordered a OEM direct fit alternator wiring harness. The area I’m referring to is in the picture below is were the black wire 38A connects to the battery side of the starter solenoid. First question, the 1970 shop manual recommends a 16G fusible link, correct? Second question, in the wiring diagram were the yellow 152 wire from the voltage regulator meets the black 38 wire and connects to the 38A fusible link. There is a hard plastic connector were the three wires come together. I assume I just cut below and remove that connector, then splice the black and yellow together before soldering it to the fusible link 16G wire? Or does each wire need its own individual fusible link running to the solenoid. Thanks.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=345423&d=1409707943

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
1) It's the starter relay; not solenoid. ;)
2) The fusible link size isn't a recommendation - it's the design specification for the stock wiring harness.
3) The point wHere the wires meet is a splice, and the OE harness has molded rubber over most of its splices, which could have hardened over the years. You can either buy brush-on rubber ("Liquid Electrical Tape"), wiring harness tape (I don't recommend common PVC electrical tape), heat shrink tubing, or an insulated crimp splice (butt-connector, etc.) to replace the rubber over the factory splice. Done right, they're equally reliable.
4) Copy the factory configuration - one section of fusible link wire spliced to the other normal wires.

This diagram & its caption explain fusible links:

https://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/830776 (for phone apps)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can you reasonably connect a fusible link wire to a fusible link wire Steve?
Reason for asking is that if the first section of the fusible link is still in good shape and it's only "blown" at, or very near the end that connects to the starter relay, then maybe it's easier to just cut mid-way to the main splice and put your new section of fusible link there instead of cutting it all apart.

Just wondering. I think that's what's been done before many times, but not sure if it's best practice or not.

Paul

OP
OP
B

Birddog75

I do have about 4 inches of good fusible link wire prior to the factory splice. I wonder if I could connect to my factory fusible link like Dirtdonk mentioned. Then I could leave the factory connection in place. Then again it may be better just to put new wire in. This 50 year old wiring is pretty crusty in places.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Most fusible links I've seen run ground wires. Ie I had a Tacoma which broke it's battery mount. Battery bounced up and grounded The positive side to the hood. So, full power through body to any ground strap toward negative. Lost two fusible links, but kept the wiring harness intact. Really cool round weld spot above battery as well.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Interesting. Standard fusible links, at least on Fords and a few others I've dealt with, are always in the positive side and all by themselves. By that I mean that they might protect a main circuit, or many circuits attached downstream, but they are a single wire on the positive side.

Not sure what you mean by they run ground wires. Do you mean that they're in the ground circuit, or that they have their own ground? Either way they might have been some specialty thing.
When fixing or adding a fusible link on a Bronco it's just the single positive wire that's undersized to protect the larger wires. So on our 10ga battery/alternator charge wire, they're sized at 16ga so they melt well ahead of the larger main circuit.

I don't think they can be functionally reliable in the ground circuit. After all, a positive wire can short circuit to ground anywhere along it's line and the main ground wire would never even know. I think it would just sit there twiddling it's thumbs while Rome burned.

Paul

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ground circuits, yes, not the engine starter or alternator grounding path.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Never seen a fusible link on a ground circuit. Have seen fuses in ground wires - they're there to protect against reverse polarity connections.

Just to nip that one in the bud, a fuse is not a good substitute for a fusible link. A fusible can withstand a high in-rush current, like for a large electric motor's start-up, for longer than can a fuse and yet still protect the circuit.

Technically it can be called a solenoid switch or a contactor. Relays generally don't conduct that much current, but some still call them "starter relays". General RoT is: High current relative to voltage; it's a contactor. Everything else is a relay. Note the terminology used by one of the leaders in the field of such things: http://www.gigavac.com/

If we go around trying to correct everything labeled wrong or cited erroneously we're going to be really busy for little effect, and that one isn't worth the trouble.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Interesting stuff ntsqd
I thought they were just two names for the same component. Same as "Mag-Switch" is another and used mostly in some areas more than others, but still to describe a relay. Seems legit, as that's precisely what it is. Just like "contactor" makes sense to be used as an alternate, but not as an exclusive to one power range.
I can see where some would like to differentiate of course. Happens in many industries with the same category of "things" being called a different name to differentiate those items with a different rating or in a different category of the same basic part.
Shackles and clevises come to mind. Now I'm going to have to go look that up too!

A relay can conduct as much current as it's designed for and still be called a relay. There are automotive 200 amp relays for instance, as well as I'm sure there are gazillion amp relays in big power switching equipment.
Well, I'm not actually "sure" from experience. Just big wild-assed assumptions on my part!
But even on that Gigavac site they mention 3500 amp relays.

And if Ford calls it a relay (which they do) then I'm ok with that and don't mind making people aware of it. Especially because to call it a "solenoid" is actually making a literal mistake in naming as far as I know.
I've never heard a specific definition to the contrary based on rating, but I would trust someone like Gigavac to know. But I would also trust that they might have devised their own wording to make things easier to keep track of, even if there is no literal differentiation between the types.
Maybe they're utilizing the correct names, or maybe, like regional preferences such as "relay" vs "mag-switch" they are just using their own preference.

I don't know if there is a "first name" used back in the beginning of electricity, but I'd love to hear what, when and where the origins of all these different words came from and how they were worked into our lexicon.
It seems to me that "contactor" could be used interchangeably with relay. Do they spell it out on their website, giving a distinct definition to both names? If so I missed it.

I notice that in the lower section there is this information:

"Relay Distributors"
"Wherever you are in the world there
is a GIGAVAC distributor in your country...
...Our Export Sales Partners are there to
assist you with the easiest and most cost effective
way to get GIGAVAC High Voltage Relays and Power Products...

Maybe the "high voltage" part is the only indicator. Or maybe it's just one of multiples.
The definition I use is based on function, not power rating. In that version a "relay" is simply any electro-mechanical or electronic switch that simply closes a contact. Where a "solenoid" by definition MUST do physical labor (other than closing contacts) to be called that.
Which would be why a starter solenoid is what's used to push the gears into mesh as well as closing electrical contacts. While a starter relay simply closes contacts and does no physical labor.
A contactor just by the sound of it's name could easily fall into the first category.

An initial search shows an internet dictionary's definition of contactor to be "a device for making and breaking an electrical circuit" which sounds like just another name for a relay to me.

The Wikipedia version says it's another name for a relay.
It does make for some interesting reading and has some distinctions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contactor but I did not have time to read it all.

So far though, it still looks to me like they're all names for the same category of items and can either be used to describe exactly the same things, or used in such a way as to differentiate between different versions within the main category.
But even at that, it does not preclude using the term relay for a 12v high amp conducting switch.

But if there is, I'm all about learning more. Until then I go with Ford, who calls it a starter relay in the old books. And NOT based only on what the manufacturers of them put on the box labels. Which varies even more than the listed definitions because they also use the different regional names too! I see what looks like French names on some labels. Such as "conducteur" or similar such.

Hope you were able to read through all the rambling without nodding off. Typical early morning stuff and I keep hearing good songs that force me to keep the computer on.
Just now the "Ballad of Uneasy Rider" by Charlie Daniels came on. Can't turn that one off!

I agree with your last sentiment to a point. But I feel it's always worth correcting a mistake before it becomes gospel truth. Or before people just stop caring.

Paul

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
According to Merriam-Webster a Solenoid is:

a coil of wire usually in cylindrical form that when carrying a current acts like a magnet so that a movable core is drawn into the coil when a current flows and that is used especially as a switch or control for a mechanical device (such as a valve) (Underline mine)

Which is exactly how a relay works. In the use that I have experienced in my working life (Power generation, automotive, switch/relay/contactor mfg., etc.) the RoT I gave above defines what term is used when. That isn't to say it is strictly applied or adhered to, or that html programmers and their marketing based editors always get it right.
And yeah you should have heard them testing that 3500A relay/contactor/solenoid......

I agree with correcting a mistake before it becomes the gospel, but I'm approaching not caring simply because those making the mistake have no desire to be corrected or educated.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Contactor seems to be a name used in the UK as the first time I saw that was the Albright contactors sold as replacements for Warn winch solenoids that became popular in winching competitions.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
...some still call them "starter relays".
Right, like Ford. ;)
Note the terminology used by one of the leaders in the field of such things...
Ford is a leader in the field of Broncos. ;D

If you don't see the benefit of correcting anything, don't. I think it matters when someone says "gas" but means "diesel"; or says "Jeep" when looking at a Bronco; or says "starter solenoid" about a part on a vehicle whose starter has no solenoid. :p
According to Merriam-Webster a Solenoid is:

a coil of wire usually in cylindrical form that when carrying a current acts like a magnet so that a movable core is drawn into the coil when a current flows and that is used especially as a switch or control for a mechanical device (such as a valve) (Underline mine)

Which is exactly how a relay works.
Right. There is a solenoid inside most relays. And there is a radio inside most Broncos. So does that mean you point to your eB and tell people "this is my fully-restored 1969 Ford Radio"? I doubt it. It makes exactly as much sense to pick the solenoid out of a relay, and then call the relay a solenoid. You might as well call the relay a "coil" because it has one of those inside the solenoid inside the relay. Or we could just call it a "wire" because the definition you quoted says it IS a coil of "wire". Right?

It's less-confusing to call things what they are. And Ford didn't put starter solenoids on early Broncos.
Ground circuits, yes...
Not on any North-American Ford product, or any other vehicle I've seen in the US. Do you remember what vehicles you saw that on?
...Albright contactors sold as replacements for Warn winch solenoids...
The last thread I read about those (a few days ago) contained a link to an eBay listing for a common Chinese winch relay. It was a double SPDT relay in a single package, but still just a specialized relay that has become common under many brand-names.

IME, "contactor" is the name favored in AC & 3-pole industrial terminology, but some fields call the same item a "mag-switch" or just "switch". "Solenoid" is popular in the automotive (DC) industry, but its overuse makes it ambiguous & confusing. "Relay" is used in electronics, and is universally unambiguous. If you were to look at the wiring diagram for a simple contactor, another diagram for a typical starter "solenoid", one for a starter "relay", one for a simple winch relay, and one for a simple power relay; you'd find that they use the same symbol for those items.

It's an electromagnetic coil mechanically linked to spring-loaded electrical switch contacts, which is the full description of a mechanical relay.

Last edited:

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, a 1982 BMW, a 2000 VW Passat and 2000 Toyota Tacoma. The Tacoma is the one which saved my bacon. Interestingly our Honda CRV does not use them for grounding straps.

Not saying they ONLY use fusible links on grounds, just that, that is where they saved me. I know Ford uses them on positive side and so does jeep.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Ford is a leader in the field of Broncos.
And Gigavac is the leader in the field of contactors, relays, and even solenoid switches. Whom do you think understands the technology better?

I didn't say that all of those distinctions aren't worth the trouble, just that one.

Last edited: