• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Large bearing rear end cost

stokers

Loc.
Lexington, KY
I have an opportunity to purchase a large bearing rear end from drum to drum and including differential that's out of a 76 EB. Any ideas on what a reasonable price would be given that everything is in good shape? I don't want low ball the guy and at the same time I need to try and be frugal. Let me know what you think?

71Broncitis

$350-500 depending on condition, gearing and if it's open or limited slip.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I've sold bare housings for $200 before. The last complete big bearing rear I sold was the "medium duty" Torino version. I got $350 for it. I've seen the heavy duty 76/77 ones sell for $500 - $600 complete. These are for stock rear ends. Lockers, disc brakes, different gear ratios, and upgraded axles will change prices accordingly.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I've sold bare housings for $200 before. The last complete big bearing rear I sold was the "medium duty" Torino version. I got $350 for it. I've seen the heavy duty 76/77 ones sell for $500 - $600 complete. These are for stock rear ends. Lockers, disc brakes, different gear ratios, and upgraded axles will change prices accordingly.

Justin,

Sorry not to hijack but this may help.

I have a large bearing 73 rear axle.
It has
BC rear disc
WH chromo 31spline axles
Detroit Locker

If I find a non- banjo 76/77 housing will all of my stuff bolt into it?
The Detroit and carrier should...
Will the axle's be the right length?
Will the axle flange off set be right to continue using my BC disc kit?

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
May have to drill out caliper brackets. I think the 76/77 use larger retainer bolts. Not sure about the axles and bearings

Last edited:

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I paid $700 or $750 for both front and rear from a '76 or '77 EB from a guy that was here on CB for a short time. After about six months I finally opened them up and they were junk inside. Basically just housings were what was good. Supposed to have 4.1X gears and they were 3.5X. Supposed to have a factory limited slip or something and they were open. Axle shafts were deformed just enough to not accept new u-joints. Gears were pitted pretty badly. There was actually sand in the diffs when I opened them up. Good thing I didn't drive it but a bit. When I inquired about all this to the seller he said I had the chance to open them up.

Moral is spend some time and make sure you are getting what is being advertised/what you want. My .02.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Justin,

Sorry not to hijack but this may help.

I have a large bearing 73 rear axle.
It has
BC rear disc
WH chromo 31spline axles
Detroit Locker

If I find a non- banjo 76/77 housing will all of my stuff bolt into it?
The Detroit and carrier should...
Will the axle's be the right length?
Will the axle flange off set be right to continue using my BC disc kit?

Third member will drop right in. The 76/77 housing has 1/2" axle retainer bolts. Is your '73 1/2" or 3/8"? If 3/8" you'll need the correct bolts and retainer plates.

I don't know about the BC discs but the Lincoln discs that I'm running are a sliding caliper design which allows them to slide enough to make up for the different bearing offsets. If you're ever going to go back to a drum brake setup, the brakes and bearing offset on the axles needs to match.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Gears were pitted pretty badly. There was actually sand in the diffs when I opened them up. Good thing I didn't drive it but a bit. When I inquired about all this to the seller he said I had the chance to open them up.

Moral is spend some time and make sure you are getting what is being advertised/what you want. My .02.

sounds about like the ones in my bronco when I bought it:-[

71Broncitis

I've had dozens of 76 and 77's and the 77 is the only one with the big banjo center style housing.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk