• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power Brake M.C. hits hood

amc78cj7

Loc.
Ann Arbor, MI
Well I'm disappointed. All this work to put a clutch peddel in the bronco, including the addition of a factory bracket that goes between the firewall and power brake booster....and now the hood won't close because it is hitting the master cylinder. It looks like it needs at least another 1" of clearance.

Any suggestions? I bought the bracket and new power brake booster from JBG, but unfortunately they are gone now for the holidays and I rarely get a vacation like this to work on the bronco.

Is there a different master cylinder that is shorter that I could use? If so, please provide year make and model so I can run up to Autozone today.

TIA,

Jeff

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I had the same issue with mine many years ago and several other people have had the same issue. Most people just shim the top of the bracket to get the clearance. I cut and rewelded mine. I dont know of any shorter MC's.

OP
OP
amc78cj7

amc78cj7

Loc.
Ann Arbor, MI
Thanks. I ran to the hardware and bought a series of nuts and washers I'll use to try and shim between the bracket and the booster. I'll report back in shortly with my outcomes.

OP
OP
amc78cj7

amc78cj7

Loc.
Ann Arbor, MI
That did the trick. A 1/2" jam nut between the brake booster and bracket on the top studs tilted the MC enough to fit under hood. Thanks!

Now I just need to get the hood aligned better. I raised the left fender all the way up, but the hood still sits 3/8" above the fenders back near the hinge. May need to extend the slots on the hood hinges...

bteutsch

I used the newer master cylinder from BC Broncos has a flat cap mine hit with the other style master cylinder.

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Wondering why buyers are having issues. I have seen these threads over the years. Wouldn't you think after all these years of selling these things all the vendors would have figured out and worked out the bugs by now? I bought mine off Ebay non EB vendor and it was nicer(better finish) and less expensive than theirs( course vanity got the best of me and I went with chrome don't getcha home dual booster and billet and Chrome M/C) went on with 0 problems and works great. Mine was one piece not a welded one too. For what it's worth.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I think it kinda depends on what company is making them I think they do the simple bending but dont really check them for correct fit. So some are right others are not. Some venders sell slightly different versions and maybe more attention to detail compared to others.

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
You are right Broncnaz, glad I gave into vanity though and went with what I did. I saw the others on eBay, as now most of the vendors are on there anyway, but even with the crappy picture that are provided I did not like what I saw. Only issue I had was the ports were on the opposite side of the MC. Turned out to be a blessing though. I had SS lines swedged with AN- fitting and ran them in back of the fender to the Prop valve, away from the crowded and busy drivers side inner fender. Lately what I have noticed is that the hotrod vendors are starting to carry over into our realm. Since they usually use pretty nice stuff I think we will be benefiting more from their expansion into new territory. Not to veer to much OT, on your sig it says you have 2.5lift and run TRO, hows that working for you and what type of manners are you experiencing on road? I have been considering going to 2.5" instead of the 3.5" on there now and the considered 0" SL which is what I was really shooting for with my LUBER as it has a 3" BL that I have to run, irregardless of any other additional lift with the 33"x10.5"s I am planning on running.

Last edited:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The TRO is working fine for me. No steering issues at all and I run 75 on the hiway. I went to a TRO because when I did the ford disc brake swap I developed a small amount of bumpsteer. I already had a 3 way adjustable tierod setup so it was just a matter of reaming the knuckles and installing the bushings for me.

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Don't want to hijack this thread, but I may end up going TRO if I can do it with only 2.5". I had heard you needed a bit more...