• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Instrument Cluster Light Sockets Loose

NolaBoy

Wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions for this minor nuisance. The lights in my cluster work fine, however they are loose where they insert into the cluster itself. Seems as if over time the plastic sockets have worn and are no longer tight. Wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks to get these to stay a bit better but also allow for removal for light bulb exchange in ge future. Thanks.

Jimmy

OP
OP
N

NolaBoy

Thanks for all the tips. I’ll give it a try and see if I can get them to stick a bit better. And yes, it is a centech harness. Is that common with them? Thanks again! Happy Thanksgiving!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Thanks for all the tips. I’ll give it a try and see if I can get them to stick a bit better. And yes, it is a centech harness. Is that common with them? Thanks again! Happy Thanksgiving!

Apparently it is common... Many have said they reused the factory metal ones from the old harness out of Frustration.
I have done 3 harnesses and it does happen occasionally that a socket will pop out...

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Gluing the bulbs in is not recommended. Silicone is typically considered an insulator. The metal tangs are the ground.

I would recommend bending tangs to start with.

OP
OP
N

NolaBoy

Looks like the centech sockets are different in that they don’t have metal tangs. They are plastic pieces that snap in. So I don’t think bending them is an option.

75EBJUPITER

Mine were centech as well and break easily. Replaced with Ron Francis Wiring PL01 or American Autowire 500128. Both plastic but higher quality holds light bulb tight and fits snug into cluster. Pricey but works well no issues.

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Dredging up an old thread here. I'm having this issue with my blinker lights. How did you connect the Centech harness (2 wires) to this? My local shop doesn't sell the Ron Francis or American Autowire solutions.

These are a one wire solution. Each bulb connects to it's respective wire (left turn, right turn, high beam indicator, and cluster illumination).
No need for a ground wire, as the body of the socket provides the ground through the cluster.