• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Raising windshield frame?

michael084

Loc.
Santa Rosa Beach, Fl
Since I'm 6'2" Id like to be able to raise the windshield frame a couple or three inches so that I can see traffic lights. Has anyone done this and have any tips on this subject? I'm replacing the frame already so I'll already have the frame off.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Have you considered lower seats instead?
It would be easier and not require so many other modifications to other parts.

OP
OP
M

michael084

Loc.
Santa Rosa Beach, Fl
Thanks for the replies. My seats mount to the family style roll cage and are as low as possible already, another reason I need to raise the windshield frame. I'll check the link provided.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Do you have the lowest available seats or the factory seats?

What top if any are you using?

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
how are your doors and top gona fit with a raised windshield frame....look for a viewfinder frame. Im 6'3", viewfinder frame, and seats up on 2x2 for more leg room

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I don't how your seats are mounted, but why are people surprised when they bolt their seats through the top of 1 3/4 tubing and wonder why they have a problem seeing thru the windshield?

Run the tubing next to where the seat will be and weld on small flat tans off the bottom of the tube so your seats are only raised 1/4". If you bought it that way, move the tubes so you can lower the seats. If you can Fab a windshield frame, you can sure do this easy simple mod.

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
Michael, I raised my 3” using a 1x3” tube welded to the bottom of the frame. That also allowed me to put my wipers on the bottom but I also moved my dash out because I wanted the rollcage behind the dash. I don’t run doors or a hardtop so not really an issue. I’m 6’4 so I really like it higher. Steve Sharp (Yeller) lowered his seats by cutting out the drivers floor, which works and lowers the center of gravity, a great idea I may eventually copy.

nvrstuk

Contributor
I just did a build thread and one of the things I did was lower the floors 2" on DS and raise it 2" on PS so the seats would be lower for my wife to get in (run 40"s), tall passengers heads are farther away from the full cage, I like the drivers position much better, but the 2nd most important reason was for dual 20" bodied mufflers to help quiet the stroker down as they are mounted under the seat floor area that has alum heat shields mounted to the firewall and floor all the way behind the seats. Makes a huge difference

dedgar

I just lean forward. And learn to look at the lights that are lower instead of the ones overhead. You can also take the top off as that works too.

thomasstemmle

Loc.
Las Vegas
I have a windshield frame off a 67 I'd sell if you wanted to try modding something. I'm 6'5", so I'd be interested on what you come up with

nvrstuk

Contributor
When driving, I like to see the hills, sky, whatever and not try to imagine what it would look like out the upper part of the windshield without it being distorted thru a prism! lol

Seriously tho, if you are just cruising traffic to the mall all the time, you aren't missing much, but if you drive in the hills and are always gaping at the scenery, then you are missing a BUNCH if you can't see out the top of the windshield... I lowered my floor 2".