• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Carb help

69broncofun

Bronco Guru
Hello,
Installing my carb today do I need plumbing tape for the filter threads ?
62e7af7c51e4c1d0caf9f93d380e2724.jpg

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

jckkys

Bronco Guru
No. Use thread sealer. Small pieces of teflon tape can plug small orifices and hold the needle valve open.

Toddpole

Contributor
That fitting looks like an inverted flare which does not require any sealant. Check the orifice in screws into for a seat like a brake line has.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Ford changed the inlet fitting in '68. The 5/16" flare inlet went to 1/8" NPT. The NPT fitting seals best with thread sealer. In either type, teflon tape is a bad idea.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Make sure your thread sealant is rated for gasoline.
I use good old Permatex #2 tar in a tube.
BTW, do you really think that clear plastic filter is a good idea?

OP
OP
69broncofun

69broncofun

Bronco Guru
Make sure your thread sealant is rated for gasoline.
I use good old Permatex #2 tar in a tube.
BTW, do you really think that clear plastic filter is a good idea?
Hi thanks for the tip. The filter was a co workers idea. Is it not a Good idea?

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
Hi thanks for the tip. The filter was a co workers idea. Is it not a Good idea?

They will work fine. Just make sure they don't come into contact with the engine, exhaust, valve covers etc.

Mr gasket makes a glass filter with rubber gaskets on the ends that are problematic around heat sources.

OP
OP
69broncofun

69broncofun

Bronco Guru
They will work fine. Just make sure they don't come into contact with the engine, exhaust, valve covers etc.

Mr gasket makes a glass filter with rubber gaskets on the ends that are problematic around heat sources.
Ok thanks

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I also question the use of a clear plastic fuel filter. As a firefighter in the '70s I saw too many engine fires to ignore the cause. Fuel leaks at or near the distributor. Most often the rubber fuel hoses and plastic filters were gone/burned up. If steel were used, it would have still been there. By the '80s Ford and other car makers had steel fuel lines and filters, between the pump and carb. That's all I use now.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
My favorite Holley 4bbl is the List-4548 a 450 CFM carb made as a replacement part for Ford engines in 1970. The Ford part # is DOPF-9510-U. All the throttle parts are compatible with the Ford linkage. A great Holley 2bbl 2300 is the 350 CFM List-4643 made for '68-'70 Fords. The fuel inlet and automatic choke housing were modified by Holley to match the OE 2100, making installation easier. Both these Holleys are calibrated for Ford pre-emission engines. The OE 2100 however, is still the best carb for your Bronco.