• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock power steering fluid cooler Saginaw pump

76BroncoPete

Contributor
Can a stock power steering fluid cooler easily work with the Saginaw conversion? Is it even necessary with the Saginaw setup?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 61

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
According to power steering expert Tom Lee PS fluid should not go over 180 degrees F for it to last and to work correctly.
So it does not matter what pump or steering box you have you should have a cooler.

Whether the stock cooler is enough depends on things like where and how you drive.

BoulderMike22

I had a stock cooler on my Saginaw and it didn’t work great. Got hot in Moab and blew the sector shaft seal out and I lost power steering on the trail. Put a better cooler on and have not had any issues since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
76BroncoPete

76BroncoPete

Contributor
Thanks Tim, it is mainly a street use vehicle but does see some light off-road action from time to time

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
You can replace it with a Derale oil cooler at about $17 for a 12” length (they make various lengths along with various mountings). I mounted mine on the cross member under the motor so that it got plenty of air. But if you can get it in front of the radiator it would be better bc the fan would pull air over it even when you are at a stop, such as crawling.

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
You can replace it with a Derale oil cooler at about $17 for a 12” length (they make various lengths along with various mountings). I mounted mine on the cross member under the motor so that it got plenty of air. But if you can get it in front of the radiator it would be better bc the fan would pull air over it even when you are at a stop, such as crawling.
That's what I did also. I figured if it was good enough for the later Broncos to run a plain tube under there, a little oil cooler would be better.

76BroncoPete,
I think you could run the stock cooler with the Saginaw pump, I just wanted to get the cooler out of the hot engine bay and to clean it up a little. I still think some kind of cooler wouldn't hurt, stock or aftermarket.

Attachments

• 2015-12-30 05.26.50.jpg
    2015-12-30 05.26.50.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 45