• Be EXTREMELY cautious if someone offers to buy your Bronco for more than your asking price and sight unseen. ESPECIALLY if the buyer is overseas. It's probably a scam.

Discuss it more here:
    http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=514932
  • The Classifieds forum is a place to buy and sell, not an open forum for people to give their opinions on Bronco values. Unless the seller specifically asks for help on pricing, please don't critique quality or asking price. If you're not interested then move on. - Thanks!
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

MN Fiberglass 76

Status
Not open for further replies.

g-reg

Tell me if I'm out of bounds with my only posts being in the for sale forum. Some good advise in the first thread so I'm compelled to ask about another MN Bronco. Pretty far to the other end of the spectrum from the other thread I started.

http://stcloud.craigslist.org/cto/4380759199.htmlhttp://stcloud.craigslist.org/cto/4380759199.html

Glass tub/fenders/hood/grill, what's the EB crowd think of that much glass? What's that mean for the value? Looking at what new glass parts cost, $$$ was certainly put into this.....but does that translate to resale?

Things that jump out to my layman's eye are some rough paint, suspect wiring/etc. under the hood, and huge cutout in the cage for the glovebox.

Seller said the original wheels/hubs and the hard top are included, but the hard top is in rough shape.

Any big gotcha's with the glass tub's? Any way to tell what brand the glass parts are?

Mono

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Actually have seen this one in person-

I like the glass body in Minnesota.

OP
OP
G

g-reg

Looking at your posts Mono, I've finally found the "Show Me your Fiber" thread here, didn't show up in previous searches.

Are you going to leave me hanging at I've actually seen it? I'd love an expert opinion before cutting a check. A goal in acquiring a Bronco is to get a driver/something I can actually use as a truck here in Fargo, so fiberglass isn't necessarily a dirty word. Assuming it was done somewhere near "right," does a glass Bronco demand similar prices to a steel Bronco other things being equal?

Mono

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'll message you with a number of a guy in Fargo with bronco's.
Start looking over anything you can get your eyes on.

If you come look over this one, I can show you the project one in my garage.

rekoj71

Kentrol bodies were available with an opening for the tailgate, Malotte (not positive on spelling) bodies didn't but had some other better options like larger wheel wells. Bronco design bodies seem to be the popular ones now. Fiberglass parts can be a mixed bag as far as fitment and the installers skill at making them look right but with patience most people can make them look good.
Value has been debated a few times on here. Generally accepted as fiberglass not having quite as much value as a good metal body, but then again good metal bodies are hard to find and take more work to keep them that way, so in some areas up north the fiberglass ones are selling for about the same as long as the fitment and finish are good.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
I am building my project truck with a glass body. I am building it for me, not to resell. I live in harsh New England conditions and want something i can drive year round if i want to but don't have to. My current rig has a steel tub with glass panels and most people wouldn't know the difference. I am no expert by any means but have done most of the build myself so feel free to hit with any questions you mat have. hit up my Bocci build thread....if you have a strong stomach and ALOT of time ;D

Attachments

• SLOT1.jpg
    SLOT1.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 0112131401.jpg
    0112131401.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 0831131944.jpg
    0831131944.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 104

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I loved my fiberglass bronco when I had it. That said, a lot of work went into getting everything to fit properly. Everything was fiberglass on mine except for the doors.

Fitment can be off 1/4" here or there and really can cause a lot of issues everywhere else. If you're a perfectionist, this might cause you to lose sleep at night!

SSGWood

Loc.
Elizabethtown
Is it just me or is that cage compromised where it was cut out for the glove box? Just the new guy asking a question...;D

drajj5

Loc.
Ellijay, GA
I know that glass is not "factory", but my next bronco will be fiberglass. Some here want their Bronco to be as close to factory as possible, so they can keep that resale value high.... To each his own, I guess.

I am posting on behalf of Taskers' post, I agree 100% with him. I don't care about
"factory", I want an automobile that I can drive and enjoy 100% of the year without fear of hurting it's value. I do not want a 'trailer queen', but if you do fiberglass isn't for you. Bronco's for me are not an investment- they are a passion!

OP
OP
G

g-reg

Thanks for the advice folks, especially Mono. I've been out of "tha nortland" for a bit. Hopefully back in the next few days and I'll go put eyes on this one in the next few days. In emailing the seller, the tailgate is functional and rust free steel. Is there a way to tell if it's a glass body that had a tailgate or if it's custom dabbed?

Thanks in advance, hope to post as an owner soonish,
Greg

Mono

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Her's is made for a gate

Let me know when you come down. I'll dust off my glass project for you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 60
OP
OP
G

g-reg

Thanks Mono, I'll let you know. You'll have plenty of warning since I'm out of Fargo. 3hr one way drives aren't "long" round here....

OP
OP
G

g-reg

I might go check this out Sunday (6Apr).

The vin is listed as 6A63H, which is non-sensical as far as my Google-fu can decipher. Am I missing something or did they list a random number that was stamped somewhere on the truck?

Mono

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That is not a complete number. She might have just populated the box with rubbish.

The vin will be on the glove box, frame, and title. All should match. Not the end of the world if the don't, but when I sell a bronco with mismatched numbers it usually reflects in a lower price.

broncokak

Bronco Guru
That could be a state issued vin number. Had a friend's Dad build his own one ton truck out of a bunch of parts and that looks like what the vin number the state issued to it.

Mono

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Meet g-reg at the bronco today- nice to meet you!

Wonder if she ever got it restarted-

OP
OP
G

g-reg

Good to meet you too Mono, thanks for lending your opinion in non-internets form.

After driving it, I felt compelled to set the parking brake because the transmission seemed to have a mind of it's own. I wonder if she noticed? I think it has the OEM 3spd C4, it wouldn't shift up or down too willingly. Had to rev it pretty hard in 1st for it to shift up, and really didn't want to shift down. Reverse was selected easily, and I was able to lock the hubs and both 4H and L engaged without drama.

I didn't honestly run the tranny through it's paces, I was scared to go fast enough to find 3rd gear or test the kickdown in 2High. And I say that through a hefty amount of Pilot bravado, I have a supreme and idiotic confidence in the ability to operate anything mechanical. I've driven plenty of 50's-60's cars/trucks in varying states of roadworthyness. But this was one of the most challenging vehicles simply coerce into moving in a straight line that I've ever operated. The steering/front end was sloppy and vague, but not scary or unexpected by itself. But between the "normal" front end handling and whatever the hell was going on with the rear end, made for some "sporty" handling. My layman's ass felt like something was very loose or warn in the right rear. It felt like that end of the rear axle was tracking forward/backward depending on accelerating/decelerating, and then add the rear drums biting....well when ever they decided to grab. So in addition to the guesswork required from the front end, the rear axle felt like it was doing its own thing too. The "old 4x4" benefit of the doubt can only be cast so far, this thing has at least a few suspension issues. The engine felt strong and smooth, but I may have been distracted by the monkey motion going on elsewhere.

And then there's the cosmetic/workmanship issues with the body. Nothing terribly surprising, but there's work to be done simply to make things like the doors/tailgate work without going "Fonzie" on them. There's little rust, but there's quite a bit of fiberglass work to be done long before giving money to a painter.

Despite all the (claimed) work done with the engine/tranny rebuild and the (claim) of it being leak free.....it had a few substantial fuel/oil/AT leaks. Not the end of the world, but I'd not pay a premium for that work.

I didn't think to take a photo of the actual VIN when Mono was showing it to me, but the real takeaways were that it was still intact on the glove box and matched the (recent)registration and the frame.

Mono hinted at and we discretely talked about some of this in the presence of the owner or with impatient youngsters in our ears.

The idea of a "fixer-upper" that is "drivable" is awesome, but the price needs to reflect how much fixin' up is required. I'll float an offer towards the seller, and see how attached to that # She is.

Status
Not open for further replies.