• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Newbie requesting some advice

AK-47

Loc.
Long Island
I agree. You're starting in the right place. This is a great community and was a massive help when I built/re-built my Bronco. Just a my two cents but if you're buying something already built, have a mechanic check it out w/ you. Good luck!

OP
OP
M

Mark_Sacramento

I agree. You're starting in the right place. This is a great community and was a massive help when I built/re-built my Bronco. Just a my two cents but if you're buying something already built, have a mechanic check it out w/ you. Good luck!

Thanks @AK-47

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

Mark_Sacramento

There are problems with this one, it was discussed on the forum recently " https://sacramento.craigslist.org/ct...299762135.html "

There are a lot of great Broncos in your price range, keep you eyes open, avoid the "dealers" and ask for help.

This is a sample of what I would want in a 50k Bronco: wheels, tires, roll cage, nice seats, good top, modified engine + fuel injection, good paint and body, etc. This is one of mine 427 stroker fuel injected.

Thank a million.... sweet looking rig you have there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

Mark_Sacramento

Great forum and awesome info here! A couple others I have been watching are below. Believe me, I'm not trying to part with $50K, but I'm wanting something reliable that won't cost me a ton of time, trouble and money. I'm a mid 40's guy that coaches soccer, plays golf and fishes if I'm lucky. I figured I would 'invest' in a cool classic before my wife decides to redo the kitchen or something. ;D

Same price range as the previous but again, seems a bit overpriced: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Ford-B...ash=item1c91ef959e:g:ei0AAOSw2mJZpiBp&vxp=mtr

This seems a bit more in the correct range: https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1972/ford/bronco/100904560

Thanks again to everyone's responses!

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Great forum and awesome info here! A couple others I have been watching are below. Believe me, I'm not trying to part with $50K, but I'm wanting something reliable that won't cost me a ton of time, trouble and money. I'm a mid 40's guy that coaches soccer, plays golf and fishes if I'm lucky. I figured I would 'invest' in a cool classic before my wife decides to redo the kitchen or something. ;D

Same price range as the previous but again, seems a bit overpriced: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Ford-B...ash=item1c91ef959e:g:ei0AAOSw2mJZpiBp&vxp=mtr

This seems a bit more in the correct range: https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1972/ford/bronco/100904560

Thanks again to everyone's responses!

The 70' on ebay has a vin that's screwy for that year, but sometimes a seller doesn't list them correctly............

I like the 72. It has a 66' speedometer, or it's a new Tom's Bronco Parts speedometer which have the tick marks on the outside of the numbers. The bronco obviously has more than 34 miles on it lol. Not a big bed liner fan unless I know the owner that installed it, and can tell me what's under it.

If it were me, this is what I'd be buying if I were in the market. :)

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278740

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
With that kind of budget, I would seek out one the the established builders here and have them build you one.

Barring that, hit Barretts or the like although, you will pay a premium

andyp

Contributor
Hi Jeff, did you sell your Bronco? The listing is down on CL. The more I look at the LUBR's the more I like them. They can retain a classic look with a bit of aggressiveness with some upgrades. I usually prefer the Private Seller vs. dealer, but any experience with these guys? https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1972/ford/bronco/100873470#

Thanks again!

Driver door doesn't look like it closes correctly. No spare tire or carrier. Commonly Diamond plate = something you don't like might be under it.
In the description they used the words "driver quality". For 50k I want a lot better than that. Just my humble opinion.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's a good point. Driver quality is anything. For 50k it should at least have some "show quality" aspects to it. If not the whole thing, at least some of it.

And remember how far advertisers can stretch a definition. Remember when "rust free" actually meant that?%)
Some sellers have been brutally honest about what they had and got some good money for them because the buyer wasn't as worried about the hidden stuff. Everyone I've talked to that jumped on one without looking super carefully first though, got at least partially hosed.
Some way more than partially!

I should add to what I said earlier about "no rhyme or reason" being taken from the most obvious things we see and hear. But I for one have not followed every sale, every custom build, every home-built, or every rust-bucket Bronco sale that's happened in the last five years. So I can't actually say anything with 100% certainty.
Even if I try to sometimes!

But I still stand by what I said earlier, with regard to the ones that you see in the public eye. And also those that do not sell.
Just yesterday at the Mecum auction (in KY I think?) they had three very nice EB's come up in fairly quick succession on TV. I forget the details, but the first two stalled out in the low twenties and did not sell if I'm remembering correctly. A super sanitary Yellow half-cab (looked like I've seen it before, either here or at auctions already) bid up to $22k I think?
The last one (the nicest to some apparently) went up to $33 I think, but I don't believe it sold either. Many cases of the seller expecting more than the buyers were willing to part with.
And these were complete Broncos, some with lots of goodies.
Would guess that the full info is available on their site if you're interested.

Even my buddy from my previous post tried and failed to sell an uber-trick Lime Green work of off-road art at Mecum in Monterey earlier this year. It was 100% complete, ultra trick (not what everyone wants, but a lot of money was spent on it) and he thought the market would bear $70k. Unfortunately it only bid up to $55k at the time, and he passed. No sale that weekend, and it took another couple of months to see it go.
When he asked a few of us what we thought it was worth, we said about $50k or so at auction at the time.
Too bad he asked us after the fact!

It's a crapshoot out there still.

Paul

OP
OP
M

Mark_Sacramento

Thanks fellas! The search continues. If you see anything worthy out there, send it my way. I'm monitoring ebay, CL, Auto Trader and Classic Cars.

67RT

Bronco Guru
Whatever you do, have it thoroughly gone over by a knowledgeable third party. Easy to hide stuff. Resto pics are a must if it has fresh paint and bedliner. I took about 200 pics when restoring my 67 RT Mopar ragtop. All metal work shown, the clean floors, etc. A refrigerator magnet will stick to bondo that has steel wool in it.

OP
OP
M

Mark_Sacramento

Whatever you do, have it thoroughly gone over by a knowledgeable third party. Easy to hide stuff. Resto pics are a must if it has fresh paint and bedliner. I took about 200 pics when restoring my 67 RT Mopar ragtop. All metal work shown, the clean floors, etc. A refrigerator magnet will stick to bondo that has steel wool in it.

Thanks for the advice!

OP
OP
M

Mark_Sacramento

As I continue my search, and frankly education for these EB's, I notice there are quite a few brokers selling classic cars. Are there also those that assist buyers with these purchases; Especially those with less knowledge of the nuts and bolts value? Thanks all!

andyp

Contributor
You need to go the Wild Horses Swap Meet. It's next Saturday Oct.7
There will be all kinds of Broncos there and a lot of knowledgeable people. You can ask questions and look and see what you like and don't like about particular trucks.
Here's the link.
https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/WH_Event_Swapmeet_Reg

gavindg

Loc.
Westlake Village
You can use the Search above to see what threads they are in. I have heard there name a couple times, but no personal experience.

OP
OP
M

Mark_Sacramento

I assume you didn't go to Wild Horses...

I was able to make it down there late in the day. Spoke with Jim; very gracious. There wasn't much left as far as 'for sale' inventory by the time I arrived, but they had a couple 73's. Not exactly what I am looking for, but Jim explained they are strictly parts and dealer, not a service center. It was a good start and I will continue my search.

I see inventory online that appeals to my eye, however, the toughest part is determining a value. Easy to pick apart 40-50 year old vehicle. I certainly appreciate all the great wisdom and opinions I get here.