• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Unwrecking a bronco build

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Dont throw away those fenders! Someone out here can make good use of them. Looks like you have a great start, sorta jealous on the east coast! Great start!

OP
OP
suckerpunched

suckerpunched

Well we started working on the body, but I will save that update for later.
I was not too hot on running the plastic ford pump, really want the dual return saginaw. After looking around for a bracket to mount it I decided to make my own. I also tried the early 90's E series van bracket. It actually bolt up but is wedged up against the steering box when in place. I am running stock the box, maybe other boxes would clear this bracket better. heres a picture of the van bracket that i didnt use. and a few pictures of what i have so far. It ended up a little lower than i would have liked, but the lower return comes out in a bad place, heading right into the center of the steering shaft. also I would have liked to mount it more straight up, but that darn steering box just keeps getting it the way. still need to add an idler above it where the AC compressor would go if I decide later to put AC in it.

Attachments

• bracket1.jpg
    bracket1.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 167
  • bracket4.jpg
    bracket4.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 158
  • bracket6.jpg
    bracket6.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 157
  • bracket10.jpg
    bracket10.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 167
  • bracket11.jpg
    bracket11.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 164
  • bracket12.jpg
    bracket12.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 178
  • bracket13.jpg
    bracket13.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 195

Jeff76

Loc.
Alpharetta GA
I gave my son the choice to cut or not cut. He says were cutting it. I got the wheels and tires locally and they came with 33x12.50's. probably will put 35's on it when it's driveable. My sons already planning out his Rubicon, and Dusy Ershim trips. My jeep wouldnt make it but looking forward to having a vehicle it the family that will.

What brand and size wheels are those?

OP
OP
suckerpunched

suckerpunched

They are 15 x 10's , they look cool, a little narrower would probably be more practical, but these turned up locally on craigslist with the tires and I couldn't pass it up.

JDJ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan
Good start so far. Keep up the good work and keep us updated. We LOVE pics....

OP
OP
suckerpunched

suckerpunched

Here is my finished bracket.

Attachments

• bracket17.jpg
    bracket17.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 170
  • bracket16.jpg
    bracket16.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 198
  • bracket15.jpg
    bracket15.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 154
  • bracket14.jpg
    bracket14.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 165
OP
OP
suckerpunched

suckerpunched

finally a little progress. I took the wrecked body down to a buddys body shop. he did some pulling on the body and frame with his frame machine before i removed the body from the badly bent frame. pulled the diamond out of the windsheild frame and pulled the front core support out, it was pushed in about 10 inches on the right side. took it all out in trade, got it home pulled the body, and for motivational purposes set it on the new chassis once to have a look. Glad I did too, I think it looks pretty good. Also went to the Nascar race this weekend in Sonoma and stopped by Wild Horses to pick up some big items, fender floor boards, and some of the inner panels. The guys there are great, gave us a tour of the shop and spent lots of time answering our questions, parts are beautiful too. we will see how they fit, cant imagine them being too bad though

Attachments

• phpw8h1B7PM.jpg
    phpw8h1B7PM.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 431
  • phpqqgDYpPM.jpg
    phpqqgDYpPM.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 595
OP
OP
suckerpunched

suckerpunched

started cutting the rusty floor pans out today. heres a couple pics.

Attachments

• phptHma9PPM.jpg
    phptHma9PPM.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 247
  • phpJeKcWUPM.jpg
    phpJeKcWUPM.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 260
OP
OP
suckerpunched

suckerpunched

OK its kinda depressing to look at my last post and see how long its been since We cut the floor out. I think some guys here have done this in a weekend, but I dont see how. Once all the obvios rust was I cut out, we then removed the front half of both inner rockers, the bottom of both kick panels and a portion of both lower door posts. once that was cut out, and cleaned up, we made our own patches and put the floor support and floor back in. It took me alot of time, but it turned out nice. The panels I used came from WH and I am very happy with fit. minimal adjustments with a body hammer, and no trimming. They pretty much dropped right in.

Attachments

• phpcCFjmKPM.jpg
    phpcCFjmKPM.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 322
  • phpJJv0TpPM.jpg
    phpJJv0TpPM.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 315
  • phpG6kRl3PM.jpg
    phpG6kRl3PM.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 353
  • phpj2L3KJPM.jpg
    phpj2L3KJPM.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 336
  • phpSPg0SFPM.jpg
    phpSPg0SFPM.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 362

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey!! Those pans look really nice! I like the way you did them, (like they were originally assembled) not lap welded on the tunnel... looking GREAT!!!