• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tube bending

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Does your rental house have a dryer hookup?

There's your 220 v source...run a heavy gauge like 8ga ext cord to your shop and you're gold... look up what gauge you need for the distance and amp draw.

I did this 2x decades ago on old stick welders...

kman67

Contributor
Loc.
Aptos
I have been looking at this cage kit:
http://extremecustomparts.com/i-593...-6-point-12-w-rear-kickers-free-shipping.html
I like where the bars are located and you can opt to get DOM, plus other add ons. It's more expensive, but shipping is included. I'm not sure if the bends are mendrel or not.
On a side note, I have the Wild Horses cage svastano was talking about and will be selling it this winter. I'm in Aptos, so about 2 hours from you. I'm thinking of asking $900 obo.

Kyle
Aptos CA

OP
OP
77broncodriver

77broncodriver

Does your rental house have a dryer hookup?

There's your 220 v source...run a heavy gauge like 8ga ext cord to your shop and you're gold... look up what gauge you need for the distance and amp draw.

I did this 2x decades ago on old stick welders...

I do have 220 for the drier, I would need a 80’ cord. I’ve been thinking about making one for a while now. I guess this would be a good time to do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you're looking at making you're own heavy duty extension cord, you might be surprised at what the wire will run you. With that said, you can sometimes pick up a cheap stick welder off of Craigslist with long cables for less than what you could buy the wire new.

darkmagus

I made an 80’ cord for my welder about 5 years ago and I think it cost me about $160.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Years ago when I did it I saved myself about 40 feet by tapping off the outlet for an electric stove instead of the dryer since that was closer to the garage.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've seen some old stick welders with extra long leads sell for less on FB/CL than you can buy the wire nowadays, so you might check there first. The cost per foot of a large gauge copper wire can be a little shocking, pun intended.

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
It may be cheaper to add a temp Sub Panel than to make extension cords. Where is your Panel located?

Jakedog

I bought the family cage from WH. Very stout cage. Easy install with 4 people. Dropped right into place with no issues. Fit and finish is top notch.

Btw, it's a heavy sob.

OP
OP
77broncodriver

77broncodriver

It may be cheaper to add a temp Sub Panel than to make extension cords. Where is your Panel located?

The panel is close to the garage but it’s a rental house so I don’t want to change things

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
The panel is close to the garage but it’s a rental house so I don’t want to change things

So I have a "rental" sub panel I've been using for years. I just run a 100amp breaker to the sub which is pre-wired to connect to the main breaker as well as wired for all my major items. It can usually be done with little to no permanent modifications and you can just take it with you. Way easier then adding a bunch of circuits. I've never had a landlord bothered by it and safer than an extension cord.

OP
OP
77broncodriver

77broncodriver

So I have a "rental" sub panel I've been using for years. I just run a 100amp breaker to the sub which is pre-wired to connect to the main breaker as well as wired for all my major items. It can usually be done with little to no permanent modifications and you can just take it with you. Way easier then adding a bunch of circuits. I've never had a landlord bothered by it and safer than an extension cord.

Would you happen to have any links to a tutorial on the best way to go about this?

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
Would you happen to have any links to a tutorial on the best way to go about this?

It's not too difficult if you've done any home electrical work before. Calculate out your loads to the sub and figure your total circuit. All the wire sizing is easy to search as well depending on lengths, etc.

Helps if you have any electrician friends as well!

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Not opposed to having someone local building me one though because it would save a lot of time.

I am having my brother in law build my cage as he is a fabricator by trade. I don't know what your budget is but maybe look around as a custom cage will not be cheap with the rates they charge in CA. You can see my cage in my build thread if you want to look at it. He is charging me $2200 for it and said that is about half of what he would charge a guy off the street. He is also tig welding it vs. mig and I know that factors in the price as well. It is 1 3/4" DOM, and luckily I bought the steel a week before it went up in price. Is it overkill, maybe, maybe not I know I sure don't want to have to find out!! Good luck in whichever way you go!!

Matt

Nice touch on the mounting plates making sure they are tied into factory reinforcements. We are buying a CNC plasma table in the near future to be able to make plates etc. as that for our customers. Very nice work!