• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1973 Crankshaft in a 96 5.0?

Gatordog

Loc.
Rio Hondo, Texas
Have a technical question. My block is no good, but my crankshaft looks good. I have located a roller block out of a 5.0 Mustang. Can I use my crankshaft in the newer block? I know the rear main seal is different, but does it require machine work to Retro-fit?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The balance has nothing to do with fitting the crank into the engine.

I can't remember the specifics, but I recall there is a slight difference at the rear main seal. The oil slinger is different? There is something that makes at swapping cranks tricky. One won't fit the other but it will the other way round. OR was it one could be fitted to the other with a little machineing?

But the crank is what dictates what imbalance correction you need on the flywheel and damper. Running a '73 crank you would need the '73 damper and flywheel.

Why not just use the late model 5.0 crank that comes in the new engine? You know that will work, it was built that way.

OP
OP
G

Gatordog

Loc.
Rio Hondo, Texas
I searched the Mustang forums and yes it will work, just needs Oil slinger removed which is no big deal since the crankshaft needs to go to the machine shop for polishing. I don’t have a 5.0 ho crankshaft, that’s why I was asking. Also, the old cranks are stronger and with the new block I can run a roller cam without messing with roller conversion kits. Also I get the much better 1 piece rear main seal setup.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would say it would be best to match cranks with blocks. There is probably 10 machine shops in my area I could walk in and say give me a 5.0 crank that works, for very little money. Blocks usually go bad.