• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

US Mags Indy U101 wheels

McLeod

I thought about putting this in Off Topic area because I am specifically talking about my FSB, but this could also apply to a heavy EB also.

I want to install the same 15x10 slots that Duff's full size is using:
photo-4x1.jpg

http://www.mhtwheels.com/ford-bronco-indy-u101-truck-g-15426.htm

but upon reading the manufacturer's specs on them (which none of the vendors publish) these wheels are only rated at 1600 lbs a wheel.
This seems awfully under rated to be using on a heavy vehicle.

Most FSB's have a GVWR of 6400lbs and the GAWR (rear axle) of 3770lbs.
I'm sure that some of the beefed up EB's are close to that weight, but with a lower rear axle rating to boot.

May be fine for on street only, but off road situations where the forward weight is sent to the rear could possibly overload these wheels

Is this incorrect thinking?
Other variables to consider?
Please share what you know about weight transfer....

Broncobowsher

Total hack
For those pushing the 3+ton weights, there are probably 1-ton axles involved. You can get those wheels in 8-lug (only in 17x10).

As for the weight rating, it isn't a razor sharp line that you are thinking of. You are worried about weight transfer while driving? Better not think about impact loading as you hit potholes. I really doubt that the weight rating for a steel wheel is that much more different.

OP
OP
McLeod

McLeod

Well, from what I have read, it is recommended to use wheels rated at a minimum of 50% of the highest weight rated axle on the vehicle.

In the case of an FSB, that would be the rear axle, being 3770lbs = 1885lbs minimum wheel rating.

I think the OEM wheels are rated 2250lbs.
Almost 50% higher than the Indy wheels- that specifically list FSB's and F150's for fitment.

An EB with an 2880 axle would most likely be alright with these 1600lb wheels.

OP
OP
McLeod

McLeod

The tires pictured are Goodyear 35x12.5 mtr which are load index 113 (2535lbs) but I was going to use the 33x12.5 tire of same brand which has a load index of 108 (2205lbs).

Both are load range C

Broncobowsher

Total hack
While most of us are not worried about it, it obviously troubles you. Maybe look for a different wheel is a better idea.

OP
OP
McLeod

McLeod

I think looking for a different wheel is a better idea in my application.

Not really an issue of being worried about it, more about what is "correct" and possibly lawful if there was ever an incident regarding failure and all of the resulting finger pointing that would ensue.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
i think you are getting all wrapped up on figures and the math. put on what you like. I have two safety degrees from an accredited university and ALL THINGS manufactured in the US or for sale in the US have a safety rating of 5 times what the advertised safety limits are.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
i think you are getting all wrapped up on figures and the math. put on what you like. I have two safety degrees from an accredited university and ALL THINGS manufactured in the US or for sale in the US have a safety rating of 5 times what the advertised safety limits are.

What he said...^^^^ Do it

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey

I was going to say there was at least a 2.5 - 3X margin, but I'll defer to Crush.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru

most interesting, never heard that. thanks for sharing.

wonder what the rating on a forged wheel vs cast is

OP
OP
McLeod

McLeod

I'm quite familiar with what things are designed at -vs- what they are rated for.
Thing is that the margin of error is for the manufacturer's benefit, not the consumer's.
If I told my insurance co that the wheels were rated at less than the potential vehicle capacity do you think they might take pause....?

Do you think an engineer would sign off without some kind of caveat...?

What would my attorney say...?

Do you think an ambulance chaser would have a hay day if the circumstance showed possible negligence...?

Why should I be concerned about liability any less than the manufacturer, whom for some reason rated these pretty low considering they can also bolt on to a full size truck, which normally runs a 2500lb wheel...?

They do look very nice on Duff's rig and I haven't totally ruled them out yet (actually it is my wife's rig and her decision), but I am really considering what the end and ultimate use of this vehicle will be.

To not think it through would be foolish.