• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 Vacuum Modulator Which Color Stripe

KDML

I noticed some fluid leaking out between the case and vacuum modulator on the back of my C4. When I pulled one of the hoses off (the one closest to the trans) fluid came out of the hose, so I assume I need to replace the modulator. The other hose (rear) was dry.

I looked online for a new modulator and there are different choices which are denoted by a colored stripe (red, green, blue). This is a stock 1974 C4 - which color stripe should I ask for? In addition, is there any sort of gasket between the modulator and the trans case or does the O-ring keep fluid from leaking out?

Thanks

jedblake

Loc.
Boulder City, NV
Stop in at your local trans shop or NAPA. This trans is so common that they should have it for you on the shelf.
(always nice to know a local shop expert, seems like I always have a question i.e. kick down, shift points, band adjustments, converters, etc....)

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
I always go with the meenie greenie, they are adjustable as well..

NYLES

Bronco Guru
what came out other than fluid?

should also be a small rod and a valve(valve probably didnt fall out but rod should be placed in the modulator then reinstalled

OP
OP
K

KDML

Looks like it is red stripe by default as it is the only one with two ports for the hoses.

Nyles, you are correct, only the rod came out the not the valve (which I hope is still in there).

Thanks everyone