• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New friends and the Bronco

rixtasan

Contributor
The other day I posted a question about pricing on a tranny/t-case combo I was listing on Craig's. Justino replied and stated that 5-6 years ago he'd picked one up for $175 and that I might be able to get more if I parted stuff out, but might have to sit on parts for an indefinite amount of time.

Well, I listed my combo and almost immediately received an email expressing interest in the parts. After an extended conversation with the gentleman and explaining the breakdown and cost of individual parts we agreed on a price of $300. Finding the parts had almost instantly given his stagnant project new life and he would've probably paid more, but I was honestly trying to sell for a fair price. Additionally, the man lives on the complete opposite side of town and being that I'm currently relocating to that side of town, I offered to throw the parts on a trailer and deliver them to his house with the condition that he let me check out his rig. You know us Bronco guys, we go nuts over other people's projects...especially when it's in your town...and you've never seen it!

Upon delivering the parts to the man's house, he proceeds to relay the story of how his Bronco wound up in parts and how he lost the desire to finish the project. You see, this man originally purchased the rig in the mid 80's with the intention of building it as a father/son project. As life would have it, his son enlisted in the Army and upon graduating from high school left to boot camp. The son wound up in the Middle East during Operation Desert Storm and witnessed the atrocities of war first hand. His son's unit was ultimately the victim of a roadside bomb and although his son survived, he was disabled with a traumatic injury that nearly cost him his leg. On top of it all, he returned home with PTSD and a serious disdain or contempt for our government.

Needless to say, his son is unable to function or interact in social situations. He finds it hard to hold a job and on more occasions than anyone should have to mention, he's contemplated suicide.

I know that this story sounds "all too familiar", as many men and women have walked in this family's footsteps. His son served honorably and as such...his family served honorably and paid a heavy price, too.

As if all the personal suffering his son and his family endured weren't enough, he'd taken his Bronco to a mechanic/body man. This person worked from home and was eager to work on the man's Bronco. Unfortunately, through all the issues he was facing, the man forgot about the Bronco and as it sat at the mechanic's house for an extended amount of time, parts began to disappear. By the time the man was able and willing to pick up the Bronco, the transmission and transfer case had been removed and lost. He had lost the desire to continue and finish what had once been a father/son project and the loss of these parts had just completely sealed the Bronco's fate!

This story tugged at my heart strings and I thought about giving this man the parts, but didn't know how it would be perceived. So instead I attempted to negotiate a lower price for the parts I was selling. The man handed me a wad of cash and after quickly counting it, I gave back a third of the funds. The man insisted that I take the whole amount and we went back and forth. I finally accepted the funds and on top of that he gave me an additional $60 insisting that I take my wife out to dinner!! I must admit that it was a "first"! First time someone ever tries to pay more than my asking price! You all know that normally negotiations go the opposite way. Along with the cash and the handshake, my new "friend" stated that he didn't ever meet people like me anymore. People who like to talk shop and share knowledge on a specific topic, like "Classic Broncos". Knowledge earned through trial and error...knowledge earned through experiences. He also pointed out that people rarely keep their "word". Especially , strangers like he and I were, just a couple days prior. He was blown away by my desire to help with the parts, negotiate a fair price, hold the parts for the first person interested, and load/transport/and deliver to his house. He also made it clear that I would have to earn the extra funds. You see, he had saved my name and phone number to the speed dial on his phone and made it clear that he would be calling me on a regular basis to pick my brain about issues with the rig!! I think it's clear that we've both made a friend for life...all based on the sale of some "old" Bronco parts!!

I know that I'll be spending some time helping my new friend with his project, as I am now invested in seeing it completed. I've also decided to share my personal stash of spare parts with my friend. Seriously can't wait to see this thing done and on the street and the trails! I also know that he can't wait to take his son out for a cruise in it!

I hope that someone reads this story and that it touches them in some way. You see, I realize that this Bronco/classic car hobby brings us all together, like a big family or better yet...a brotherhood. If you or your family has served in the armed forces of our great country, I'd like to thank you for your service! Fomocoloco Forever!
6ea01260daf88a0b25d64f2428052af2.jpg
6ee43b7bd3979621964f15b674d5a7b1.jpg
1d0fa47f98170d9785e1175c8b7ed622.jpg

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
I don't recall roadside bombs during Desert Storm. Lot's of mines and unexploded ordinance but not roadside bombs in the sense of what is being used nowadays and during the last 15 years.

Hopefully your assistance gets the Bronco project going.

OP
OP
rixtasan

rixtasan

Contributor
No disrespect to people that were actually there or the terminology used in the field. His HUMVEE was blown up and I'm not 100% sure what caused it. I was half asleep when I wrote this and simply felt it was worth sharing.

On a brighter note, I hope I can help him get it going, too!

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Like a lot of us here, I've had both classic Mustangs and Broncos. For whatever reason, the Bronco guys seem to have a much closer feeling of a brotherhood than the Mustang guys when I meet them. A Mustang guy came and bought and engine block from me last night. Nice guy, we chatted for 15 minutes, we loaded up the parts, and he was on his way. Bronco guys come and buy parts from me and we end up shooting the breeze for two hours.

Back in '07 Mikey here on the board who at the time lived an hour or so East of Bakersfield and I did business for the first time. A friend and I were on our way to LA for a weekend trip. Mikey drove down from the hills above Bakersfield and met up with us just off the freeway. After talking for an hour and my friend getting impatient, we got back on our way. Mike made it a point to email a few days later to thank me for hauling the parts down for him during a vacation weekend. To this day Mike and I are friends all because we met up on the side of highway 99 for an hour swapping parts. Bronco guys are good folks.

I'd have given your new friend the parts for free too after hearing his story.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
The long term sacrifices that our military men and women along with their families give, is greater than can be measured. Many are life long.

I hope they can get it back on the road and share some happy memories.

OP
OP
rixtasan

rixtasan

Contributor
Like a lot of us here, I've had both classic Mustangs and Broncos. For whatever reason, the Bronco guys seem to have a much closer feeling of a brotherhood than the Mustang guys when I meet them. A Mustang guy came and bought and engine block from me last night. Nice guy, we chatted for 15 minutes, we loaded up the parts, and he was on his way. Bronco guys come and buy parts from me and we end up shooting the breeze for two hours.

Back in '07 Mikey here on the board who at the time lived an hour or so East of Bakersfield and I did business for the first time. A friend and I were on our way to LA for a weekend trip. Mikey drove down from the hills above Bakersfield and met up with us just off the freeway. After talking for an hour and my friend getting impatient, we got back on our way. Mike made it a point to email a few days later to thank me for hauling the parts down for him during a vacation weekend. To this day Mike and I are friends all because we met up on the side of highway 99 for an hour swapping parts. Bronco guys are good folks.

I'd have given your new friend the parts for free too after hearing his story.

I totally hear you!! I met Adam Buckner (Grafico) several years back on a trip to Albuquerque, when I went by his graphics shop and picked up a couple of t-shirts. To this day, every time I need something from the Albuquerque area, like parts purchases and such, he does what he can to help.

As for the parts...he wasn't going to have it. He wanted to pay me for them and anything else would've offended him. Honestly can't wait to get my hands dirty alongside my new friend.

OP
OP
rixtasan

rixtasan

Contributor
The long term sacrifices that our military men and women along with their families give, is greater than can be measured. Many are life long.

I hope they can get it back on the road and share some happy memories.

I hope he gets it back on the road, too. I plan to help him along the way in order to see that thing completed!

chuckyb

Contributor
Thanks for taking the time to share the story. I hope that the project can assist both father and son.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
Thank you for sharing this awesome story.

Recognizing that the gentlemen wasn't going to allow you to give him the parts............I wonder if there is anything else he needs for the project to be completed ?

Maybe you could keep the group informed and we could donate ?

OP
OP
rixtasan

rixtasan

Contributor
Thank you for sharing this awesome story.

Recognizing that the gentlemen wasn't going to allow you to give him the parts............I wonder if there is anything else he needs for the project to be completed ?

Maybe you could keep the group informed and we could donate ?

Thanks to all for the positive posts!

I've actually taught "suicide prevention and awareness" classes to my coworkers and have dealt with PTSD on a limited scale and I honestly don't know that this or any other project will help the man's son. Those scars are deep and probably irreparable. On the other hand, this project may help my new friend recover or get on the road to recovery. "Bronco Therapy" as I like to call it, has helped me through 3 serious break-ups! Repairing, rebuilding, and driving these trucks has gotten me through the toughest parts of my life and shown me the value of setting and accomplishing realistic goals!

I'm NOT saying that the man's son is a lost cause, by any means. However, I DO believe that if the son's support group isn't on their "A-Game", they can't be in a position to help him in any way.

I'll keep my Bronco Brothers in the loop and I will certainly let you guys know if we NEED help with any parts!! Seriously means a lot that you would suggest donations. Thanks!!

PaveBronco

Wonder if there are any LEBC guys in the area can get a wrenching party going...

OP
OP
rixtasan

rixtasan

Contributor
Wonder if there are any LEBC guys in the area can get a wrenching party going...

I don't think so. I know a vast majority of the local Bronco guys and none from the LEBC in El Paso that I know of, but hell once he gets things moving, there's NO reason why we couldn't have s wrenching party ourselves!! There's a couple guys I know could help.
6412036cbac585be7e69f014796b2377.jpg

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
thats so cool, keep us updated:cool: let us know if you all need anything;)