• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

General question

Brians1113

I went to look at an early Bronco today. Was repainted and restored bag quality.
It was a 75 so it had carpeting. My question is - someone had put the trim pieces that hold down the carpeting recently, the screws are probably about an inch long and are through the floor. So you can see them when underneath the truck. How long were the original screws used at factory and are they able to seen through going through the floor?
Other than that had some rust holes on inside of tailgate. On inner fenders by firewall - crappy repair. Could see some rust by lifting up carpet by pass side rear wheel well.
Thanks for any info

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
That's about the right length for the screws and you can see them underneath. If it is new trim from a vendor, it usually comes with the screws. I have seen people use longer screws and accidentally run one thru the auxiliary fuel tank.

Not all 75 Broncos would have carpet. It may be a Ranger. Check it out really well for rust if it has had a recent repaint.

OP
OP
B

Brians1113

Thanks a lot for the reply, I thought screw's length wasn't right but I guess it is then. I have other collector cars and have decent eye. I am trying to learn more about these and I'd like to buy one. Overall frame and floors looked good. The body work wasn't great, paint was decent.
It drove well, 60,000 miles. But no documentation at all which bothers me. Price is 33,000 so it's not cheap

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Thanks a lot for the reply, I thought screw's length wasn't right but I guess it is then. I have other collector cars and have decent eye. I am trying to learn more about these and I'd like to buy one. Overall frame and floors looked good. The body work wasn't great, paint was decent.
It drove well, 60,000 miles. But no documentation at all which bothers me. Price is 33,000 so it's not cheap

Post some pictures and you can get a lot of feedback.

Without seeing it, I will say that 33k seems a bit high if it has even the minor rust issues you mentioned. Good luck!

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Don't know where you're located, but for $33k, there should not be crappy repair on the inner fender, nor under the rear carpet. You may want to look at a few more before deciding. Crappy one place may be an indicator of other crappy stuff??? Just saying!!! Good Luck!!!;D;D;D

OP
OP
B

Brians1113

I really appreciate all of the feedback. I know I'm not giving you much to go on like pics. I didn't take pics of the areas of concern to post. The seller may be a member so I don't want to post general pics of the bronco.
I'm into original cars or well documented restorations. Are these scenarios possible with the early broncos? I'll pay fair market value for aforementioned, I just am hesitant to pay for an undocumented Bronco and no pics of the restoration.

OP
OP
B

Brians1113

Lol, thanks. I really do want to buy a good Bronco, but I don't want settle for one either.

doghows72

Bronco Guru
For that kind of cash it better be rust free everywhere, spotless engine bay, spotless underneath and running like a top.
Unless it gave you goosebumps looking at it and you had an emotional connection, PASS.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I am going to be contrary and disagree with the sentiments expressed just on the basis of so-so paint and some bad spots. The real key, if it does just have 60,000 miles (not 160,000) is whether it is mostly untampered with. Meaning it does not have a bunch of odds and ends mods and is missing a lot of original parts or has some dubious ones added. I have one that might fit the bad paint description, but it had only 80,000 miles and has almost no boogering done to it. And it is the best Bronco I have ever owned. It is a "depends" type thing.

OP
OP
B

Brians1113

I agree if the paint & body work isn't too bad and the mileage is low, but documented...I could live with the paint/body work.
This one did seem to be original mileage - engine looked good, ran good, no taps or exhaust leaks from original manifolds. But again, could be 160,000 for all I know.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
You can still find nice originals or restorations in that price range. A lot of pricing just depends on location.

Maybe narrow down your requirements and post something in the wanted forum.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
...33K Is a lot of money .. I say at 33K you don't need to have any questions.
But If you can send some pictures to some one here they'll post them for you..
Sorry I don't know how.

69broncofun

Bronco Guru
If something does not seem right its prob not right. Look on here for one. I have seen some nice ones on here with all the docs etc. Or try Bronco Hut or Bronco Connection I see them on there from time to time. Good luck

mlarison

Loc.
Palm Coast
Definitely check here for one, w/ that much in the budget you will find something real nice...check BajaFresh75 a member on here, u will def get what you pay for

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Who has it for sale, individual or vendor? Give us a name if a vendor because most are known here for their quality and reliability. Whether a member or not doesn't matter. If you become a Contributor member you can post pictures.

For restorations, I like Nick's Trix and BC Broncos