• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Those who have had a shop built...

Knifemaker

Loc.
Youngsville, La.
I have a 50x50 with storage racks along one wall. I got them from a K-mart that closed. At times only have a path to get around. But worst thing for me is the dirt that comes in with tractor and lawn mower. Wishing and will add a leanto for those items. Also I park our camper inside door way is 12x12 if we were to upgrade to fifth wheel dont think it would fit through door way.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I heat my shop primarily with a wood stove that has a large heat recovery duct and forced-air fan built around it. I'm in the process now of installing AC.

The second floor has a 3-ton reversible AC for heating and cooling.

I scored a truckload of 4' 4-tube ceiling lights from a local company that was taking down a largish government office space on base; used those in the shop and upstairs spaces too. Can't have too many lights.

I scored some medium- and heavy-duty shelving and pallet racks from a local sale (a Lowe's closing to move to larger new store) . In the foreground is one of the work benches I made with teh HD shelving and in the background you can see the elevated storage made with the MD shelving..with blast cabinet and parts cleaners under it.

Attachments

• benches and storage.jpg
    benches and storage.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My overhead beams and hoists...one down the full length of each bay.

Attachments

• overhead hoists.jpg
    overhead hoists.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 139

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And plenty of hardware storage...I hate making trips to the hardware store.

Attachments

• hardware.jpg
    hardware.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 125

Slednut10

Contributor
Guru? That's funny!
On the doors pay the extra money for the openers that mount on the side wall

X2^^^ much easier to service, too. Extension ladder works fine vs a 12 foot step ladder. I still need to do this.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Or, use this type of door, which are almost a "must" when you've got the heavy-lift trolley beam above each work bay. 12' high and 10' wide, but slide very easily by hand. One of these days I might around to installing the windows in them..%)

Attachments

• shop door.jpg
    shop door.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 195

dave67fd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If I had to do anything different it would probably be more outlets (which I may add in the future) and whatever you think for lighting, double it.

I did plaster walls/ceiling instead of sheet rock as cost is nearly the same. Much more durable as well.

Cement pad instead of pavement in front if you plan to do outside work. Jacks with weight on them like to sink in the summer heat.%)

Whatever heat source you choose, insulate well first.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Finished up my shop last January. Best 2 things I did was big ass lights and mdo plywood. The lights are about 425 each but I only needed 6 to give me the same lighting level as 27 twin tube fluorescents. Doing the math the big ass lights are actually cheaper and have a 100000 hour life span. I hate drywall in a garage and osb too. Mdo plywood is paper skinned. Painted gloss with with oil based paint and it reflects light and is easy to clean plus if I want to anchor something to a wall I can screw right to the plywood. Like bmc69 I did sliding doors to keep the overhead clear.
8f95d036947c1dd843ab2b873f5870a1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Also spray foam insulation. It's like a cooler in there. I have a 2 ton mini split for heat and ac. It stays comfortable with little effort. Even with out the ac running it rarely was over 80 degrees inside even in the dead of summer here in Atlanta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chief Master Sergeant

Chief Master Sergeant

Contributor
Retired U.S. Air Force
Getting close. The builder is just waiting for the snow to melt off my fields, so we can do a locate. He wants to do a blanket insulation across the top of the joists and then put the roofing over it. I was told to go OSB for the roof though. Thoughts? Not sure how to insulate the rook without this barrier he's wanting to use. Should be started within the month.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
I'm not a big fan of osb. Down here in the south there is too much humidity. It tends to bow whereas plywood doesn't bow too much. If you can do plywood I'd spend the extra money. I put 3/8s on my garage and wished I went with 1/2". Nails and screws have more to bite when using 1/2".

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
Funny, I am also about to build a shop. Figured I would block up the walls to 4', so water and splashing has no effect. Then 2x6 walls up plentry of insulation, plus hvac. Great thread. My old shop (garage) has a resident Bronco who is stubborn and won't vacate.

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
I didn't see it mentioned, but I didn't read the whole thread either... it might be nice to have an internal motion sensing light for those times you run out to your shop for something quick.

LED fixtures don't put off the heat, but that may not be a huge concern for you. I do believe they are still superior to incandescent lighting.

I always thought it'd be cool to put an exhaust fan on one end of a shop in the peak and and intake on the other down low-ish. Something like this: http://tinyurl.com/gtzsumw That way when you're welding, or just want to dry it out, you can do so without having a door open.

RolledItAgain

Go bigger. Mine's 36x48 and I want more space
Get as much natural light as you can. Skylights, windows....
I ran wiring and air inside the walls and have had second thoughts about it. Not had any problems (10 years so far) but it's not easy to add to.
Keep lighting high. I've bumped hanging lights while moving tall objects.
Insulate walls and ceiling.
Tall and wide doors for moving things in and out.

rastiss

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wichita falls, Texas
I've started on my 50x60. I bought used red iron pretty cheap. Currently building my concrete forms. Trying to do it all myself to save as much as possible. Rented a small hoe to dig the footings. A friend remodeled our local old navy store and I got prolly 50 flourescent light fixtures out of it. Looks like I'll have about 25 grand in it.

kylakekevin

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I recommend 4' lights over 8' because you can haul bulbs easier in a bronco or the wife's car. Epoxy coat the floor it makes keeping it clean much much easier. Doesn't have to be the fancy stuff. I used something from the PPG store, 2 part epoxy in gallon cans. I cant remember exactly what it was, it holds up to everything but welding will discolor it. Put a 110v outlet every 6 'to 8' down the walls leap frogging the circuits so that no 2 outlets side by side are on the same circuit. This way when 2 high amp drawing items are plugged in where your working they are on different circuits.

kylakekevin

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm fixing to build a 40 x 60 x 14 myself the main door will be in the end of building. I'm thinking of using vaulted trusses in the first 20' and then going to attic trusses so I can go with a 14 tall x 16 wide garage door without going 16' side walls and over powering my house. I'm putting a 10 x 12 door in back right corner on the side wall for air movement and can use it as a pull out into yard if I have to. Question For you guys using radiant floor heat, Can I put a thermostat controlling a solenoid valve to control the heat by shutting the water flow off?

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Separate bays for "dirty" work (Grinding, welding, metal work) - keeps your other stuff in the "clean" bays clean!

Loft - cheapest extra space you can build, and gets a lot of stuff off the floor and out of your way

Orient it so you get a good breeze, and put garage doors on both ends to max the breeze through the shop

Floor drain

Tons of lighting, but make sure you can switch portions off/on separately so you can manage the amount of light

Build it as big as your budget allows

Separate room for the compressor to keep things quieter in the work areas

Beef up your slab in an area you might put a two post lift even if you aren't planning to install one right away, if you ever do you'll be glad you did

if you are ever thinking of doing woodwork, make you a dirty room for that.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
thinking about building another as well. not exactly sure what size yet. the last one I built was 30x50 seemed to big enough for my boat and fithwheel. sold the fithwheel though. my brother just built a 40x50 I think. I am going to have to do some measurements as my land layout sucks.
sick and tired of working in the driveway:(

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We're adding a 20x50 addition to my 36x60 shop. The new addition will be split in two areas; one for all the really dirty body work and the other for a paint booth.

Found out the hard way that neither of those activities is compatible with a fab shop jammed full of welding and machining equipment.

I built a completely separate 12x16 building about 20' from the main shop to house all my woodworking equipment and also to store flammables..paint, varnish, solvents etc. - outside of the main shop.