• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best way to seal up Bronco

Greg Bell

Hey guys,

I have been driving my bronco in the rain a bit and I have noticed a few weak spots.

1. Rain seems to be pooring in from the fender side of the passenger footwell near the top. Can't tell if it is from the air box.

2. Rain seems to be seeping in between the top and the body. There is a flat rubber seal but does anyone have any suggestions?

Any tips on rainproofing the Bronco?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Passenger side could be missing the entire air box or just the accordion piece. Or, the accordion piece could just be full of holes allowing water in.

There is a piece of weatherstripping that goes between the body and top. On both side rails as well as along the windshield. If yours is worn, it needs to be replaced.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The firewall, fender skirt, and kickwell are spot welded were they meet just in front of the air box under the hood, then filled with body filler/caulking . The body filler can get hard/dry and shrink, leaving a place for water to leak in in the upper right side of the passenger kickwell where they all meet on the inside. The airbox is a solid piece on the bottom, and sits on the firewall so I don't think that's whats leaking unless its drain on its bottom (behind the fender - look at a parts picture to see what it looks like) is clogged and it's filling with water and coming in your heater box. Or you just have a rust hole under the hood someplace.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
I onced chased a leak for a long time on the top where it meets the WS frame..ended up being at the wiper shaft where it comes through the WS frame because the rubber bushing behind the large nut was missing,wore out etc.

Almost rusted up my wiper motor before I caught it.Had to take it apart and lube up and every things fine now.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Someone needs to take a picture of their '66 raingutters on the kickpanels, firewall and floor. Ford knew they leaked from the factory and simply added interior rain gutters to keep your pennyloafers from getting wet. The later years, they just added more horrible 60s tar based seam sealer in and around the gaps. ;D

Rain can come in from rusted spot welds from the windshield frame hinge (or bad seal), bad or lack of seam sealer by body panel joints, random drilled previous owner holes, or lack of weatherstrip. Best thing to do is take it out when it starts raining, then get up under that dash with your flashlight, look for the wet spots, repair and seal.
Or, move to the midwest and take it out in the snow. Snow doesn't get in cab as bad as the rain does. ;D