• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

frame paint

offrdude

I am doing a complete restore and i am starting with a bare frame. there are different options as far as painting, (powder coat, epoxy, enamel) the frame. I am reaching out for suggestions in which direction to go for painting the frame.
thanks
steve

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Google 'classicbroncos frame coating' there are tons of threads about it, with the same top 2 or 3 options -Jeff

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
First I would have it galvanized then e-coated if possible, then the top coating.

Before that finish all work on the frame, you really don't want to breathe the fumes from welding or cutting galvanized metal.

chuckyb

Contributor
I am powder coating after dipping, blasting and repairs, then POR-15 for axles etc.

Steelbronco

Loc.
Western Maryland
I ended up going with powder coating frame, axles, and to many other parts to list. Went with Semi-gloss black, and couldn't be happier. Sandblasting and powder coating I have 800 dollars in everything. I have put some pics of the frame and axle under my garage if you are able to find them.

Last edited:

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Rust bullet, then chassis black, came out great. ;D:cool:;)

Blasted, cleaned off all the welding slag, coated externally with zinc, KBS (similar to Rust Bullet), and chassis black. Watch your air temp if you're brushing instead of spraying. The warmer it is, the more thinner you use else you'll get brush strokes.

Came out great and glad I did this instead of Powder coating. I ended up adding F-250 shock mounts and had to cut the old ones off. It was easy to repair the coating when I was done. I've also had to drill and tap some holes in the frame for fuel lines and pumps. No problem with a paint on coating.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
POR15, KBS or Rust Bullet. I use POR and have for 20 years. Real nice looking and when done as per directions will last. KBS is about the same and I believe RB is also. If you ever need to modify or repair anything on the frame down the road you can touch it up and look good. Use the chassis coat for the top coat and it has a nice finish. Here is mine with POR15 and chassis coat. Ken

Attachments

• P1010066.jpg
    P1010066.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 74

chuckji

Contributor
Loc.
SE Michigan
For those that are power coating or painting, did you also do the inside of the frame-rails?

chuckyb

Contributor
For those that are power coating or painting, did you also do the inside of the frame-rails?[/QUOTE

The guy that does my powder coating has a nozzle or something to blow it inside the frame.