• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer Serp stuff

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I got my Serp set up including fan/clutch from Sandmann so I am good there. Not ready for EFI yet.

Started to build up my parts list, then took a purchasing break, lol, but got back on it. It gets a little expensive but buying it in stages always helps me slip it past the old lady,....lol

I have a,

Used Explorer ps pump,
New WH Flowkooler water pump,
New DB Electric 4G alt.,
New Damperdudes HB,
New BC 90 degree thermostat housing,
New 3 core aluminum rad. with the Explorer hose swap,
New Visteon Explorer a/c compressor.

From what I have read I will be better off with my used Explorer ps pump instead of a parts store one.

I know I need,

A washer ready to go back on my cam bolt when I remove the eccentric slinger for the old fuel pump arm,

Timing chain cover and water pump gaskets,
(I have a one piece oil pan gasket)

a/c lines adapted,

ps pump lines adapted,

Shroud,

Radiator hoses (stock Explorer?)

Anything else y'all know of that I need to have ready?

Thank you for the knowledge as always.

Attachments

• 0310181614.jpg
    0310181614.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 141

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
The 2 things I can think of off the top of my head are:
adapting the wiring harness for the new alternator
Serp belt. The tech write-up has a couple different sizes depending on engine and options.

OP
OP
bronconut73

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Ahhhh....the wiring....
I adapted to my 3G I have now. Hoping that will make it a little easier.
And the belt, lol, haha haha....how could I have forgotten that?
Lol

Thank you Sir!

Jolly Roger

Hey bronconut, i just bought the serp setup from sandmann as well and doing the same thing you are. So have a few questions. In your parts list you have a new damperdudes HB-did you buy a new one or send the old one to them for rebalancing. Next question is how did you decide on the alt, water pump, rad. and who is the manufacturer of the rad. I see no need in reinventing the wheel so following closely along to your build for ideas and help. Thanks

OP
OP
bronconut73

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I bought Damperdudes HB.I still have the stock Explorer HB in case I go to a 5.0 one day. Around $179.00

DB electric had excellent reviews and I wanted a "new" 4G. Great bargain on EBay too. Around $135.00

Visteon was one of the vendors selling new "not rebuilt" a/c compressor also on eBay. Around $125.00

Flowkooler as there is only about 3 real manufacturer's of these water pumps. Flowkooler "sounds" like the best. Around $90.00

Champion 3 core aluminum Radiator also on EBay. May go with a Ron Davis(?) radiator later. It has the reverse ports. Around $169.00

Please let me know if there is anything else I could help with,

Steve down in O'Town

Jolly Roger

Thanks for the info. Which vintage a/c kit are using? I see where you already have A/c but won't you need to change some stuff since you are going to the explorer serp

OP
OP
bronconut73

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the info. Which vintage a/c kit are using? I see where you already have A/c but won't you need to change some stuff since you are going to the explorer serp

BC/VA.

Using the Explorer compressor so I will have to have new a/c lines made.
The BC/VA compressor "can" be mounted to the Explorer serp bracket with a special adapter from BC.
The new compressor wasn't much more than the bracket and I don't like the aesthetics of the BC/VA compressor on the adapter bracket.

Jolly Roger

So would this be the one I would order: 75-21204 A/C for Explorer Serpentine Belt for Early Ford Bronco

$1,329.99

OP
OP
bronconut73

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
If that is BC then I guess so.
I heard they were going to make that.

I got mine a long time ago.

swmrdrn

BC/VA.

Using the Explorer compressor so I will have to have new a/c lines made.
The BC/VA compressor "can" be mounted to the Explorer serp bracket with a special adapter from BC.
The new compressor wasn't much more than the bracket and I don't like the aesthetics of the BC/VA compressor on the adapter bracket.

I am almost done with my Explorer Serp install and managed to make my existing Vintage Air compressor hoses work. Summit carries the hose block adaptor you need to connect the lines the Explorer FS10 compressor. It is a Vintage Air part number 045017

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/VTA-045017

I had just enough slack in my lines to make it work.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
I'm running hydroboost and 4x4x2 box and 35" tires (15.5 wide) with the Explorer pump and it does decent. It does struggle a bit on pavement when I'm aired down but I really can't complain. There is a thread on here about swapping some superduty parts in to up the pressure and flow. I'm tempted to try it at some point...

ricky

Loc.
beaumon,texas 77706
hey there sand..that sounds good.. I have to get the hoses fabbed up,correct? sorry at work for the night..i have hydroboost as well,but haven't put it on yet..sure plan to do that though..how hard was that install? have any pics of your setup? what did your hydroboost come off of? thanks in advance

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
It came off an Astro. The install should be pretty straight forward but I always find a way to complicate things... :p
I moved the booster over, away from the engine. Put the brake pedal when the clutch pedal should be... take a look at post 19 of this thread... (hope this isn't going too far off topic... )
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283638&page=2

also, yes custom high pressure hose is required. Might save some $ if you add hydro before getting the hose made up as the connections are different. Unless you go -6AN...