• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer Serp stuff

OP
OP
bronconut73

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Sandman,

Is there room for a double roller timing chain under the Explorer timing chain cover?
Or should I stick with a single roller?

Just figured I should get one ready for when I get it apart. Mine only has about 16k on it but its 25 years old.
Erson double roller. Want to be ready in case I see too much slack in it.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
I think it will fit but not positive. I'm pretty sure when I built my engine in '05 that I used a double roller but wouldn't bet my life on it. Added serp 5 or 6 years ago and didn't touch the chain...
Hopefully some one chime in with more definitive knowledge...

ricky

Loc.
beaumon,texas 77706
double roller should be fine..i know I ran a double roller behind my sn95 and foxbody timing covers..

I have both covers at home..will try and measure them for you tomorrow and find out if they are the same

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
double roller should be fine..i know I ran a double roller behind my sn95 and foxbody timing covers..

I have both covers at home..will try and measure them for you tomorrow and find out if they are the same

The timing covers from those are not the same as the Explorer, the Explorer serpentine drive is more compact than the Mustang serpentine drive.

ricky

Loc.
beaumon,texas 77706
you are correct sykanr, I have both the sn95 and explorer to compare,,should have mentioned that

I think the distance from that the cover "covers" the timing chain is the same,just the mounting for the water pump is different..but I definitely can be wrong..working graveyards,so it will be after lunch when I can check, but definitely will,and take a pic or two as well.

Dlish

Just swapped serp on this past weekend, pic of my chain.

(Yes there is Trident on the motor, no putty so I chewed gum and stuck it to the inside of the timing cover to make sure the cam bolt cleared)

Attachments

• IMG_8471.jpg
    IMG_8471.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_8474.jpg
    IMG_8474.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 55

ricky

Loc.
beaumon,texas 77706
bronconut,sorry I overslept (working graveyards) I eyeballed the covers on the explorer motor and the sn95 cover..and they looked the same on the area that cover's the timing chain..

will put a tape to them tomorrow..sorry about the wait

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
you are correct sykanr, I have both the sn95 and explorer to compare,,should have mentioned that

I think the distance from that the cover "covers" the timing chain is the same,just the mounting for the water pump is different..but I definitely can be wrong..working graveyards,so it will be after lunch when I can check, but definitely will,and take a pic or two as well.
I have compared those covers and they are identical except the sn95 doesn't have provisions for the explorer timing pointer/crank sensor.

OP
OP
bronconut73

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Cool.
So double roller it is.

You guys (CB) are the best thing to ever happen to my eb.