• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Roll Cage: Grab handles for getting in and out?

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
What do you think about steel tube grab handles for getting in and out? Better to have the velcro / fabric ones? Would a steel grab handle on the front upper cage post be a danger in a wreck? - Jim

Digger556

I have avoided them because they are rigid and stick out. Even on the trail there is potential to injure your head.

JSmall

Bronco Guru
I designed my cage to go through the dash and for maximum head clearance in all directions so that helps keep them away from my head. I also made my grab handles “short” so they don’t stick out very far. I know anything can happen in an accident so I tried to minimize the risk as much as possible. My cage isn’t finished yet, but you get the idea.

Attachments

• 418AD621-B1A7-4F09-B388-7ADEC6A3D6D8.jpg
    418AD621-B1A7-4F09-B388-7ADEC6A3D6D8.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 148
  • FF50C3D2-B586-418F-B5C5-B9D32B9C5497.jpg
    FF50C3D2-B586-418F-B5C5-B9D32B9C5497.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 150
  • 78CFF0EB-453F-4031-8938-384C82EAF35B.jpg
    78CFF0EB-453F-4031-8938-384C82EAF35B.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 182

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
Ordered mine today from broncobob, asked him, he does NOT recommend hard handles. It is much easier to buy a Velcro strapped handle, and the chance for a head injury is not worth it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

JSmall

Bronco Guru
No. I've got to get the wheel wells and bed in, then liner the inside. Then I'll be ready for it.

My brother is in Sherwood and he has BendTech and a JD Model 54 bender if you’re interested. Custom fit and you can make it the way you want. Just an option

Last edited:

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I ageee about hard handles have to be out of the way and way clear of being an object for you head to hit. Soft handles are great for getting in and out however they need to be positioned so they are not convienent (or allowed) to be used during riding. I've witnessed severe injury during a roll by pushing past them, placing the hand/arm outside of the cage, was a very ugly sight.

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
I though that the roll bar itself is a great handle for getting in and out... that way you do not get conditioned to a grab handles placement or use it as a "riding handle". And then grab it in a roll over. Therefore putting your fingers/hand possible close to a pinch point.

As the driver you have a handle for a roll over AKA the "steering wheel", but lets not forget about the passenger. A Razor side by side style T handle or kicker curved tube bar off the dash cross bar is nice.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I tried the velcro handles and didn't like em. I prefer something more solid that doesn't move around when you grab it. Whether using it to climb in and out or when driving your hand moves back and forth.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Allot of these issues come into play if your tall and don't have shoulder belts. In my case I am short and bigger than I should be. So I have hard handles in the upper corner of my cage. If my head can reach them in an accident with my seat belt on I have bigger problems than knocking my head on them. In the back I have Velcro handles in several places as there are no shoulder belts and in the unlikely hood of someone actually being back there they have something soft to hold on to. Restraining the dog effectively without torturing her is another story.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My 2014 Superduty has the A-pillar handles, and they are really nice for getting in and out. I'm about 6'5", and the step in height is just wrong enough that the handle makes the jump/duck/swing trick a bit easier. They're most similar to what Jsmall has on his cage, plus his cage is really nice and tight to the windshield frame...if I add them to mine, those are closest to what I had in mind. The best way to make any internal cage safer IMO would be to better constrain the occupants with either 4 or 5-point harnesses, and next would be head/neck protection.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I though that the roll bar itself is a great handle for getting in and out... that way you do not get conditioned to a grab handles placement or use it as a "riding handle". And then grab it in a roll over. Therefore putting your fingers/hand possible close to a pinch point.

As the driver you have a handle for a roll over AKA the "steering wheel", but lets not forget about the passenger. A Razor side by side style T handle or kicker curved tube bar off the dash cross bar is nice.

I do have a handle for the passenger that is far enough out if they have their belts on properly they cannot hit their head. On my buggy it actually has a steering wheel. On some customers buggies I've put handles in the seat frame (think low mounted fighter jet joy sticks), the high speed racers say it's less fatiguing than a handle bar

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
The steering wheel is a good conversation piece and you don't have to instruct anyone old enough to drive that they need to hang on to it

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I tried the velcro handles and didn't like em. I prefer something more solid that doesn't move around when you grab it. ...

10 bucks at TBP Jim. I've used these twice a day minimum on my DD for ~3 years now and they do not move around. Maybe because I secured them with zip ties. I weigh 180 lbs., just another data point. :p :cool:

Attachments

• IMAG0364.jpg
    IMAG0364.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 67
OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
10 bucks at TBP Jim. I've used these twice a day minimum on my DD and they do not move around. Maybe because I secured them with zip ties. :p :cool:

Thanks Mark! You know, half my bronco is held together with zip ties! As soon as I get all the floor taken care of and the roll cage in, I need to head up there and buy you a beer!