• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Have a 7.3 powerstroke tow rig? you need the DP tuner

justinoshea

Contributor
Loc.
Gilbert, AZ
I assume there are some diesel performance guys on here that use 7.3 PSDs to move broncos in various states of never ending 'repair'. I recently upgraded my superchips programmer with a 'DP tuner'. The difference is outstanding. The trans shifting strategy is completely revamped and is awesome. truck runs and drives completely different. the DP hold 16 different tunes and can be changed at any time, including stock.

superchips, edge, banks, etc. are good, but the the DP tuner is the *freaking* madman! (for you pulp fiction people)

www.dp-tuner.com

siderbox

Bronco Guru
I'll second getting a DP Tuner. Jody is a great guy.

I just got my DP Tuner F6 a few weeks ago to go along with some Beans 160cc single shot stageII injectors.

justinoshea
Did you get the F5 or the F6 chip?

Recko555

I have thought long and hard about getting a DP tuner, but haven't ponied up the dollars for it yet. When I got my 7.3L, it came with a SuperChip tuner, which I like, but always wondered how much better the DP tuner was. From what I read on "the diesel stop" it is the sh*t. I guess I should be saving my pennies, but it is hard to upgrade to just a little bit better for $400-$500.
Let me know if you see a difference MPG.

rednck21

ive got an F5 in my 7.3 and i saw about .5 mpg increase. not much, but the truck is sooooo much more fun to drive;D

rdv350

Loc.
Scranton, PA
I have run both the Superchips programmer and the DP-tuner chip in my truck there is no comparision. The DP-tuner chip wins hands down. I didn't see much of a difference in mileage between the two, but the power increase is noticable. My chip has the 80hp and 120hp settings. The 80hp is better than the Superships 110hp setting and the 120hp setting is just awesome. The other nice thing about the dp-tuner chip is that the trans shifting program is nice and firm, much better than stock and the Superchip. I definitely recommend upgrading to the DP-Tuner, you won't be sorry.

siderbox

Bronco Guru
I haven't notice any change in mileage, but then it's cold out and with running winter fuel and letting it run for a few minutes on high idle it wouldn't be a good comparison.
So far I have the No start, Mod stock (for single shot injectors), 80hp econo, and 1200rpm w/ebv on. Going to get two of the tow programs in a few weeks.

I'm having a problem with my set up. When I stand on it there is black smoke coming out the exhaust hehe and sometimes in the higher gears my rpm goes up with out the speed increasing.
But seriously.
So now I need a new clutch that will hold up to the horsepower. Bummer thing is I just put one in last year. Good thing is Southbend clutch makes one. Bad thing is the disc is about 600 dollars.

Next spring I'll be putting on water/meth injections and a BB turbo.
Should be fun. The mustang boys already hate me around town.

stretch

Loc.
Montgomery, TX
You've got to love DP. The Excursion is a completely different vehicle now. The only problem I've noticed, is that my mileage went down. I couldn't figure out why there was such a large decrease in mileage until I let my wife drive. She's rollin coal every chance she gets.;D

FordFanStan

Loc.
Imperial Beach, Ca.
Superchips is not good at all IMO. I have seen the Edge, Superchips, Diablo, DP Tuner, etc; DP wins hands down.

The BB turbos gain a significant amount too, the Turbonetics and the Garretts. FFS

OP
OP
justinoshea

justinoshea

Contributor
Loc.
Gilbert, AZ
I'll second getting a DP Tuner. Jody is a great guy.

I just got my DP Tuner F6 a few weeks ago to go along with some Beans 160cc single shot stageII injectors.

justinoshea
Did you get the F5 or the F6 chip?

I got the F5 with 60Tow/80Eco/120Race, and an ITP OBA.
How do you like those single shots? will they lay a smoke cloud that you can beat with a shovel? are you running forged or powered metal rods?

66roadhorse

Loc.
Houston
Been reading this post, anybody have this chip with a 6.0 I have a bully dog triple dog and 5" exhaust on mine. had an aftermarket intake, it jsut caused the truck to throw codes

rdv350

Loc.
Scranton, PA
I'm pretty sure DP-Tuner specializes in all Ford trucks including gas engines. I would definitely give them call and see what they can do for you, no matter what year diesel you have.

siderbox

Bronco Guru
Forged rods. They started using PMRs around 01, would have to check build date of engine.
I have a 00.
From what I've seen the PMRs will only hold about 400 horse the forged will goto around 500. I'd like to see 4 or just a bit more. Ok maybe 450. Ok maybe an even 500 would be good.

As for the 6.0 and DP, or more power from anyone. I'd be careful.

Single shoots came from Beans. They are the stageII 160cc. I like the added power. YES they will roll the smoke and I mean roll it. How ever much you want to put out. They are a little louder over the split shots.

I got them from Beans from all the good things said about them on dieselstop.com But my experience with them was not so good. I may need to send one back for replacement. I'll have to swap the #8 injector with #5 or 6 to know for sure if it's an injector issue or wiring or programing.
That was on top of the almost 3 month wait and many phone calls between the ordering, receiving the injectors, and the core credit. I know they are busy but that was way too long IMO. I'm the only one so far that I have seen that has had any problems with them.
Even with all that I would do it again. The power is that good. Can't wait to get the right clutch. Then the water/meth and 1.25 turbo.

Here Hemi, Hemi, Hemi.:cool:

But if I wanted some real power, you got'a go with cum&*@$. I hate to say.

rednck21

mines a 2000 also and has forged rods....built 6/00. id like to do a set of stage 2's. i had a set of beans stage 3 singles on a 97 i had it it was just too much. those require $$$$$$$$ in mods to get the full potential out of them, not to mention nearly 3k for the injectors. injectors and a turbo will REALLY wake them up though:cool:

siderbox

Bronco Guru
$$$$$ was way I stopped at StageII. That's as bout as big as you can go with getting a HVOP from what I understand.

OP
OP
justinoshea

justinoshea

Contributor
Loc.
Gilbert, AZ
There is a ton of info on the DP and it applications to other diesels on 'Ford truck enthusiasts'.
www.ford-trucks.com
to simplifiy the 6.0 run good in stock form (already 325hp, 26psi boost) so typical tunes are 20-30hp instead of 100+hp for the 7.3. the PSD in the old body stye (OBS) trucks have a different high pressure oil pump, injectors among other things but still respond well to the DP.

this is a good quote^3 as to a comparision;
Edge vs DP, is like "Mary Poppins vs Hulk Hogan".

FTE has a early bronco forum but it sucks compared to this site.