• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Chinese stuff

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had the same sense of disappointment a couple years ago with some grill letters from Dennis Carpenter. The originals have some weight to them, like a pot metal. Got the package for the reproductions with Made in China stickers and they are light as a feather - nothing but plastic. I will probably just have them until I can refurb the originals. You can put all of the original ford tooling stickers you want on some of these things but they are nothing but cheap crap from China in many cases. Nothing even close to the original.

Not defending Chinese crap by any means but what's really sad is that a lot of that stuff is made that way because whoever here in the states wants it made that way not because the Chinese company wants to make it that way.

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Get with rydog
He has been doing some great stuff with different formulas of cerecote. You can send your old stuff to him and he will make it look really nice. Can't get rid of every pit but it will still be origional part with a little of the origional patina
He just did a set of origional ford grill letters for me
They turned out great!!
Chuck

Thanks Chuck!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Get with rydog
He has been doing some great stuff with different formulas of cerecote. You can send your old stuff to him and he will make it look really nice. Can't get rid of every pit but it will still be origional part with a little of the origional patina
He just did a set of origional ford grill letters for me
They turned out great!!
Chuck

Seen some of them. Very nicely done

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
It seems everyone is going to china made stuff, even the parts for my Cummins diesel is made in china. But I notice besides the made in china stamp on them ,the Cummins name is stamp on them, so I'm hoping they keep a tight quality control on the parts made in china.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Got some parts in for a Japanese made 4\wheeler this week. Made in china.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
I deal with made in china stuff with my work all the time. It sucks but the cost difference is unbelievable. Mainly with pipe fittings and valves. There was a time when the china stuff was poor quality rough edges, crappy threads, and just ugly. Now some of the china parts look better than domestic. We never used to used import valves but they have improved them so much its hard to tell the difference. One manufacture has a domestic and import version of the same valve, put the two side by side and the only way you can tell them apart is the made in china tag. The china valve is over $100 less than the domestic! Sad truth but the truth. When you are bidding a project that $100 difference per valve can make or break you.

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Didn't think too much about it until I opened the package, but ordered a replacement emblem from JBG, there was something odd about the "B", turns out it was the Made In China sticker on the back.

So I flip over my old one and sure enuff, 1967 FoMoCo...great now I have guilt!! :cry:%):(

think i'll attach this one to my toolbox and look for an original

I made the same mistake and bought those. When I saw the sticker, I sold them on ebay at a slight loss and found some original ones in good condition. That, plus they were too shiny, and the shape of the letters was not a good replica.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had purchased replacement Bronco emblems because I didn't want to take the time to polish up my old ones and didn't want to hunt down the clips they fit into. After reading this thread I pulled out my old ones and put a little cleaner wax on then and they shined up real nice. I can use the clips from china until I source some replacements, but I think I'm going to put my Fomoco's back on and sell my Chinese versions.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Ford did the same thing and started cheeping out toward the end of production. My '77 had a plastic glued on "RANGER" emblem on the glove box door. After I painted the car, I sourced a real metal one from a '74 to replace it.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
The number 1 business book in China for more than 25 years has been The Art of War by Sun Tzu.

Their plan is to drive the competition out of business, dumping their products on the market at or below their cost fits into that, they will raise the prices when they have a monopoly.
The WTO turns a blind eye to this, since it is being done to the USA.

matts460

Had old mirror (same as bronco mirror) on my 67 f100 get broken, took it to glass shop and they replaced mirror glass for few bucks. Also when I was re assembling my bronco the speedo glass was cracked, venders want 20-30 bucks, took it to local glass shop and they made me new one for $3.00 lol I work on Toyota's for living and some of the replacement parts are made in NAM. Go figure. Now I wonder how much replacement vintage Ford parts would cost if not made in china! Some stuff is already to rich for my blood. Also be carful on Ebay lots of knock off big brand car parts from china on there. MSD, Autometer, etc.. also Custom auto sound stuff. Bought a Custom auto sound radio for my 69 ranger f100 from ebay vender. Was cheaper than anyware else. It blacked out year later, its one that looks like original vintage radio with pushbuttons but its digital. The ones like it in my Mom's 69 mustang and my Dad"s 56 bel-air are over 20 years old and still work great.

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
I had purchased replacement Bronco emblems because I didn't want to take the time to polish up my old ones and didn't want to hunt down the clips they fit into. After reading this thread I pulled out my old ones and put a little cleaner wax on then and they shined up real nice. I can use the clips from china until I source some replacements, but I think I'm going to put my Fomoco's back on and sell my Chinese versions.

I bought the clips from JBG for my original but I can't get them on!!! gonna try some kinda grease on the prongs I guess %)