• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Friends & Family payment method

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Many here look at these as deals between friends not as business.
Having cut the price down it is a lot to ask for them to take another 3% hit, all just to give someone a good deal to help them with their Bronco.

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Many here look at these as deals between friends not as business.
Having cut the price down it is a lot to ask for them to take another 3% hit, all just to give someone a good deal to help them with their Bronco.

Dude I would love to think of everyone here as my friend, and I actually do! But in reality there are people on here for the sole purpose of making money off enthusiasts.

My only issue with your reply is “having cut the price down” what exactly does that mean? Are you saying everyone that sells stuff on here is giving a discount? I disagree...if you have a part to sell then ask what you think it’s worth and add 3% if you feel the need to do so. If the member that contacts you about the part is your friend then you work a deal as friends.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I have bought and sold using the friends and family thing on here several times. So far I have not been burned and it seems to work out good for both parties. If I was selling something in the higher price range (over a 100 bucks) I might think twice about it but smaller purchases seem to be working just fine.
As was stated earlier most folks here are stand up honest folks!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Actually had someone from here send me cash last week for something I sold him :) I usually ask to use the friends and family if the buyer isn't comfortable doing that it isn't really a big deal either.

True true, depends on who you're dealing with too

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
First of all, I hate PayPal. What happened to the good old personal check? I am not talking about huge purchases, but sub $200? Overdraft protection is pretty much automatic nowadays. And checks clear in a matter of hours in the banking industry--remember the "wait 10 days to clear" policies? I can deposit a check from my phone in about 30 seconds. And yet people demand Paypal, even by bending the rules and requiring Friends and Family for a purchase. What amazes me are all the Paypal claims I read about. WAY more than bounced check stories!

And USPS MO's are an absolute pain in the ass. Having to wait in line at the post office to get a money order. Or receiving a money order, waiting in a long line to cash, and then be told the USPS teller does not have enough cash in the till to cover the MO. Come back tomorrow, to wait in line and go through the same process. Way easier to get a money order at the convenience store with a can of RedBull. I know what you read on Facebook, but seriously--who wastes time to forge a sub $500 convenience store money order? NO ONE! Its big ticket items they are going to use forged money orders, and you should be smart enough to use certified funds on a big ticket sale.

Another misnomer--it is not illegal to send cash trhough the mail. I send cash all the time on small items I purchase. It's easy, and I have about a good a chance of getting it back as I do using PP Friends and Family should I have to file a claim. Which is about zero percent.

I blame the Millennials for this desire for instant gratification, i.e. PayPal. It sucks.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia

I’m not a millennial but I like that instant gratification. I bought something on another forum a few weeks ago. The guy listed it and I saw it 10 minutes later. Sent him a PM and he sent me his email address. That’s all I needed to PayPal him the money. No writing checks, addressing envelopes, finding stamps, waiting on the mailman to pick it up and deliver it....

Literally 20 minutes after I saw the ad, he confirmed that the money was in his account, I emailed him a prepaid UPS label, he printed it and stuck it on the box, and he was on the way to UPS to drop off the package. All done in less than 30 minutes and I never left my chair.

I had the item late the next day.... If I had mailed a check, it probably would have taken at least 5 days and a lot of extra effort. I hate mailing checks and wondering if they will get delivered.

McLeod

I agree- Paypal sucks and I will not use it to transact anything but a credit card payment to others.

I usually will only sell stuff locally- cash-n-carry.

If someone far away insists (and makes it worth my time) I might do the shipping thing- but only after money has been transferred to me using Popmoney.
A direct transfer to my bank account.

I just make sure I fully disclose the condition before the payment because the last thing I want is someone online defaming me for misrepresentation.

Just say NO to Paypal.

67RT

Bronco Guru
Paypal sends users a 1099 if 200 transactions and $20000 in dollar received. Maybe that is the issue. Still, if you don't know the seller protect yourself.
If you mail them a check or money order and they shaft you, that is mail fraud, which is a federal crime. THe police will be interested.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia

A little off topic but here’s one thing that makes me feel safer about these remote transactions actions with strangers.

When I’m buying, I always email a prepaid shipping label. I use UPS and it only takes a few minutes to get the shipping cost, print the label to a file for emailing, and pay. That way I have a tracking number so I can get notified when he ships the package. I also know that my address is correct on the label and no typos.

If you have any concerns about the seller, It’s a good excuse to ask for his address and phone number as a return address for the label. If you are skeptical about anything you can google his address to make sure everything is valid.

Worse case, if he doesn’t ship you are not out the shipping cost, which can be a lot if it’s heavy, and you have his name, address, phone number etc.. It’s much easier on the seller when you email the label so they always like it.

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey Guys,

It may sound strange.... I never use Friends & Family. I believe that most people selling use it to maximize their revenue. For 3% it just seems minor. I’ve only had good experiences with PayPal. To me, they provide a great service for which they should receive compensation. And, the protection is good, too.

When a seller is hung up on the 3%, I pay the extra as part of my payment.

Jeff

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Man I was really hoping some of the members that always have stuff for sale and always insist on F&F payment would chime in...guess they're busy with other stuff. %)

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
I do friends and family plan but also accept checks and money orders. Heck, i've even met half a dozen or so in person for a cash transaction. I rely on feedback from members to help establish a reputation.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I do friends and family plan but also accept checks and money orders. Heck, i've even met half a dozen or so in person for a cash transaction. I rely on feedback from members to help establish a reputation.

Yeah, always helps to have a recommendation from others...