• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer 5.0 to Ford T18 Flywheel ?

Mareospeedwagon

I am looking to mate a 2000 Explorer 5.0 to a BWT18. From what I have found in a mix of different post is I need a 50oz imbalanced 164 tooth flywheel, 11" pressure plate and clutch. Does this sound right? I am sure this has been covered before, but searching multiple forums I can't find a definitive answer. Want to make sure I have the right answer before I order anything. Thanks in advance

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Welcome.
Basically yes that's the parts you need. Just make sure the flywheel you get accepts a 11in clutch. Most flywheels should accept either the 11in or 10.5in clutch but Id just make double sure before pulling the trigger on parts.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey speedwagon, welcome to classicbroncos.com!
Unfortunately for avid readers, there are very few definitive answers to anything involving Early Broncos. There are just too many inconsistencies from the factory, and more important too many inconsistencies among us doing the building, swapping and driving for there to be just one correct answer for all things.

But yes, for the late model 302/5.0 you need the 50oz imbalance flywheel, and also the matching Explorer/Mountaineer damper. Assuming you'll be running the Explorer front accessory drive that is?
If not, you'll need to source the appropriate damper for your belt drive system, and possibly have it modified to work with the 50oz engine.
Company called Damper Dudes can help you if it's not a commonly available part.

For the flywheel, any later model manual trans Ford truck with a 5.0 will work. As long as it's got 164t ring gear, and the bolt pattern for the clutch you want (most should fit that bill) you can use it. All the crank bolt patterns were the same from what I remember.

The #8210 on this page: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/Early_Bronco_Clutch is that type.
Most, if not all later flywheels are working with the clutch bolt pattern for a diaphragm style clutch, rather than the original 3-finger "Long" style our trucks came with from the factory. Some (like the ones we sell I'm pretty sure) will have the pattern for both types, but usually swaps involve aftermarket clutches which are diaphragm style more often than not anymore.

Good luck.
You changing transmissions too?

Paul

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
/\/\ What they said +1
Also make sure they are selling a flywheel for a manual transmission and not a flexplate for an automatic, some sellers use the words interchangeably.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Also make sure they are selling a flywheel for a manual transmission and not a flexplate for an automatic, some sellers use the words interchangeably.

Good point. Traditionally the manufacturers used "automatic flywheel" for autos as well, before the term flexplate became the more popular way for us to tell them apart.
After so many years of flexplate, it still comes as a surprise when I see them listed as flywheels.

And I think it's still an appropriate term, if only because the old-timers called it that.
But for all I know they were incorrect right from the start because the main purpose in life for most flexplates is to simply be a place to mount the ring gear. Whereas a true heavy flywheel is to store energy/torque/inertia (whatever the proper term is) instead.
Perhaps some of the earliest automatics actually did use heavy weight flexplates though. So those were true flywheels even on automatics.
Be interesting to follow that back to the first automatics used in whatever application. Might even be a term that came over from another industry, rather than automotive only.

Paul

OP
OP
M

Mareospeedwagon

Unfortunately for avid readers, there are very few definitive answers to anything involving Early Broncos. There are just too many inconsistencies from the factory, and more important too many inconsistencies among us doing the building, swapping and driving for there to be just one correct answer for all things.

But yes, for the late model 302/5.0 you need the 50oz imbalance flywheel, and also the matching Explorer/Mountaineer damper. Assuming you'll be running the Explorer front accessory drive that is?
If not, you'll need to source the appropriate damper for your belt drive system, and possibly have it modified to work with the 50oz engine.

For the flywheel, any later model manual trans Ford truck with a 5.0 will work. As long as it's got 164t ring gear, and the bolt pattern for the clutch you want (most should fit that bill) you can use it. All the crank bolt patterns were the same from what I remember.

The #8210 on this page: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/Early_Bronco_Clutch is that type.
Most, if not all later flywheels are working with the clutch bolt pattern for a diaphragm style clutch, rather than the original 3-finger "Long" style our trucks came with from the factory. Some (like the ones we sell I'm pretty sure) will have the pattern for both types, but usually swaps involve aftermarket clutches which are diaphragm style more often than not anymore.

Good luck.

Paul
Paul, it’s actually all going into my Jeep Wrangler so it’s all getting changed haha. I have a t18 from my fathers 85 f150 and a NP435 as a backup Incase that one is bad. I joined classic broncos because there is a lot of good Ford information from people who know what they are talking about. Most the other forums I search see to get lost in rants that have nothing to do with the actual post

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Haha! Yep, we like to keep our members. Even the Jeep guys!;D
What year Wrangler? Make sure to post up pics of the process, or at least when you're done.

Have fun with it. Great running engines actually.
Are you going to run the front serpentine setup too, or go with V-belts? The Explorer setup is one of the best that Ford offered, so if it's in the cards, I'd use it.
If not though, plenty of members here willing to help you part with it!

Paul

OP
OP
M

Mareospeedwagon

I plan on using as much of it as is that i can. Already hit up efi guy. The jeeps a 91. Always been a fan of fords. Owned a few Fox body mustangs and late 80’s broncos. Love the 5.0, great motor with a great sound

hucklburry rev2

Someone correct me if I am wrong, the larger clutch mounts to the flywheel with metric bolts, the smaller clutch uses SAE bolts, right? Maybe I am wrong, but I thought there was something different there.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've seen metric bolts used, but as far as I know at least some of them (most?) still use SAE threads. 3/8 and 5/16 are common.
Odd, but I see we only offer one bolt kit now. I must have missed that memo, but we used to have two I thought, and still offer two choices of bolts when the flywheels are purchased.

Looks like a question I'll have to get cleared up tomorrow.

Back to the metric thing though, I'm not sure what the metric size was, or if it was on certain vehicles only, or if you can get them for old Windsor flywheels too. Maybe it's more of a MOD/Coyote thing?

Good question. Glad you brought it up.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nevermind. First browser window did not show the choice button. Double checked it in a different window and, zammo! There it is. Choice of 5/16 (stock) or 3/8 bolts.

Paul

hucklburry rev2

I bet i have it confused with mustang stuff, the smaller flywheel 157tooth, they switched to M8x1.25 in 1986 - I guess that doesn't apply to the 164tooth flywheel?

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I bet i have it confused with mustang stuff, the smaller flywheel 157tooth, they switched to M8x1.25 in 1986 - I guess that doesn't apply to the 164tooth flywheel?

I would tend to agree with your statement... Old school 11" clutch on a 164 tooth FW would be 5/16>3/8"

While the later 10.5" clutch on the 157 tooth FW would be metric.

I should remember... I used to mess with Foxbody Mustang mechanicals all the time, but even that stuff is 30 years old now.

Antsun

Paul, it’s actually all going into my Jeep Wrangler so it’s all getting changed haha. I have a t18 from my fathers 85 f150 and a NP435 as a backup Incase that one is bad. I joined classic broncos because there is a lot of good Ford information from people who know what they are talking about. Most the other forums I search see to get lost in rants that have nothing to do with the actual pos
I plan on using as much of it as is that i can. Already hit up efi guy. The jeeps a 91. Always been a fan of fords. Owned a few Fox body mustangs and late 80’s broncos. Love the 5.0, great motor with a great sound
Mareospeedwagon - I am working on the same project with a 89 YJ and 98 Explorer. I would love to pick your brain on a few things. 😁

Antsun

Good luck.

Paul
Paul - Great info on the flywheel/clutch. Would you know where to source a bellhousing as well? Having a hard time finding one for a 5.0/T18 combo. Thanks!!!

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Paul - Great info on the flywheel/clutch. Would you know where to source a bellhousing as well? Having a hard time finding one for a 5.0/T18 combo. Thanks!!!
You can use a stock early Bronco bellhousing. Finding one of those should be pretty easy.

Todd Z.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Probably because everything that’s associated with the word “Bronco“ is getting more expensive, because “it must be rare“ because it’s for a bronco.
But we’ll probably find out that the bell housing is the same for all four-wheel-drive trucks of that vintage.
I know there’s a 66 through 68 model, and a 69 through 77 model (or even later) that are slightly different due to the changes in the retaining method for the clutch release fork.
But other than making sure you have the correct, matching fork and retainer clip, any of them should work.

Are you already in possession of it? Do you have a part/engineering number from it?
Actually now that I think about it, the changeover may have occurred in 71.