• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Never Rot Flooring

OX1

Bronco Guru
So the guy I got my 70 from welded 1/4 plate in for new floors.
Always figured that was fine, and of course they would never rot out again.

Then I recently decided to do a 1" WH bodylift. Tried a holesaw,
but that seemed like it was going to take forever. Ended up drilling
small holes all the way around groove left from attempting holesaw,
then running holesaw again and finally chiseling out an access hole.
At least body bolt came right out.

20180213_191043.jpg

Got about this far on the second one, and holesaw jammed up and
drill practically ripped my hand off. Gave up for the night. :p

20180213_203457.jpg

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's gotta add some weight to the Bronco and the body bushings. 10 lbs per square foot.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Too late now but next time grind the spot to clean steel before using a hole saw. That looks like rusty or hot rolled steelplate. that stuff has a hard surface that likes to eat hole saws. you need at least Bi-metal blades or carbide teeth for cutting through the thick stuff.

I caught a 1/2" drill bit in a piece of 1/2" aluminium plate and broke 3 knuckles in my hand when the drill motor twist out of control. Screwed my hand for close to 9 months before I could make a full fist again. Drills with 1/2" chucks have some kind of power when you least expect it.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Too late now but next time grind the spot to clean steel before using a hole saw. That looks like rusty or hot rolled steelplate. that stuff has a hard surface that likes to eat hole saws. you need at least Bi-metal blades or carbide teeth for cutting through the thick stuff.

I caught a 1/2" drill bit in a piece of 1/2" aluminium plate and broke 3 knuckles in my hand when the drill motor twist out of control. Screwed my hand for close to 9 months before I could make a full fist again. Drills with 1/2" chucks have some kind of power when you least expect it.

my brother's arm got wrapped around with a 3/4" mag drill:eek: a few surgeries and 3 yeas later and still have neck problems
(drilling out the ends on a D60)

OP
OP
O

OX1

Bronco Guru
Quarter inch thick plate might be enough to hold down a magnetic drill with annular cutter. Have you got a good tool rental place in your area? Or do you need an excuse to buy more tools?

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Drilling/2788-22

That's gotta add some weight to the Bronco and the body bushings. 10 lbs per square foot.

Don't hurt yourself now.. :)

Thanks for all the comments/suggestions. Got it done with the holesaw,
just needed a fresh day and a little patience (amazing how much drilling slower helps. ;D)

Bolt head was trashed, so had to weld on a socket, but bolt again came
right out. So the only two bolts that broke, were rear most right near TG,
but those are easy to get to and sawzall off mount if needed.......

20180217_173042.jpg

20180217_175730.jpg

20180217_180106.jpg

20180217_180440.jpg

Next I have to figure out what I am going to do for a cover.