• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

"The Nightmare" - '73 Explorer Father & Son Build Thread!

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Got a box of goodies from Jeg's today. New Ford Motorsports double roller timing chain, new Ford oil pump, and Ford Motorsports B303 cam.

I also stopped by the machine shop to check on the work. It's going to be .040 over. I was hoping we could get by with .030, but they said it didn't clean up there. We had them order new Clevite bearings and Federal Mogul hypereutectic pistons. They were working on the balancing when I stopped by. The crank was turned .010/.010. I was hoping we could get by with just a polish, but it would've been out of tolerance.

I ordered and picked up a Fel-Pro complete gasket set, and had to order the Fel-Pro GT-40 intake gaskets separate since they are different. The intake gaskets are at the machine shop so they can be gasket matched to the heads..

I'm excited to get this engine built. It's my first actual build, although I've helped on a couple other brand rebuilds. We have most of the parts to build the long block now, so it's time to round up the front dress and a few more pieces.

Attachments

• 100_0784.jpg
    100_0784.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 71
OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Bought a NOS Explorer glove box emblem off Ebay. I know it's a long way from needing it and this is one little detail, but hey, its NOS and the opportunity was there! ;D

Second pic is compared to an old one I had.

Attachments

• 100_0790.jpg
    100_0790.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 102
  • 100_0785.jpg
    100_0785.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 126
OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Got a call this morning from the machine shop telling me that they were done. I'll pick it all up sometime next week.

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Dad left a deposit on a frame with disc brake Dana 44 front end and 9" rear today. We plan to pick it up Friday. I'll be sure to post pics of it after we get it home. Plan is to use the disc parts to convert the '73 front end to discs.

I plan to pick up the Engine parts from the machine shop tomorrow morning. I may try to paint the block and do a few more things tomorrow night after I get home.

sellitall

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Malvern, Pennsylva
Bought a NOS Explorer glove box emblem off Ebay. I know it's a long way from needing it and this is one little detail, but hey, its NOS and the opportunity was there! ;D

Second pic is compared to an old one I had.

I've been guilty of that too many times to count. Consider it the trophy you award yourself when it's done. You're definitely kickin' butt so far.

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
I've been guilty of that too many times to count. Consider it the trophy you award yourself when it's done. You're definitely kickin' butt so far.

Yeah, I find it very hard to pass up anything that cool that can be used on a Bronco. I always feel like it's the little details that make one special anyway.

Thanks for the compliment! I hope we stay in butt kickin' mode all the way through! :cool:

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Dad left a deposit on a frame with disc brake Dana 44 front end and 9" rear today. We plan to pick it up Friday. I'll be sure to post pics of it after we get it home. Plan is to use the disc parts to convert the '73 front end to discs.

I plan to pick up the Engine parts from the machine shop tomorrow morning. I may try to paint the block and do a few more things tomorrow night after I get home.

Sounds like you are about to need the "Bronco".!....New engine, Disc brake front and these other parts all need a place to be "Unified"! We should be close by the weekend, the only negative is the forecast is for rain Friday and Saturday....but that might change. I will try to post a few pics soon! Ole' Dad is going to have a great Bronco!!;D;D

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Sounds like you are about to need the "Bronco".!....New engine, Disc brake front and these other parts all need a place to be "Unified"! We should be close by the weekend, the only negative is the forecast is for rain Friday and Saturday....but that might change. I will try to post a few pics soon! Ole' Dad is going to have a great Bronco!!;D;D

If we was at home working on the Bronco, we might not have went and bought the stuff. So technically, add that and the fact that there is engine parts scattered across the garage, it's good the Bronco isn't home yet. :p

I have a feeling I'm gonna be jealous of him when it's done. ;D

JDJ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan
sweet Jimmy, keep up the good work and keep us posted.

and you know the drill, post pics too!

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Gonna have to pick up the engine parts another day, maybe tomorrow. Had some unexpected things occur.

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
So, when should I plan the next cruise and hope to have 2 Jackson Co Broncos show up?
Looking good!

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
So, when should I plan the next cruise and hope to have 2 Jackson Co Broncos show up?
Looking good!

It may be a while, but I hope soon! Let me know when!

JD, thanks for helping me stay motivated!

Engine parts are home minus the crank. Having them put a new seal sleeve on the rear. Might do some painting tonight after class, so stay tuned for more updates.

Attachments

• 100_0791.jpg
    100_0791.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 96
  • 100_0792.jpg
    100_0792.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 100_0793.jpg
    100_0793.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 106
  • 100_0794.jpg
    100_0794.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 98
OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Got the block primed, painted the oil pan, and sprayed some clear on the lower intake since it was bead blasted. Nothing too fancy with the paint, just some high temp. rattle can.

Have a pretty full day tomorrow, so I probably won't do much else till Friday.

Attachments

• 100_0798.jpg
    100_0798.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 105
  • 100_0797.jpg
    100_0797.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 105
  • 100_0796.jpg
    100_0796.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 105
  • 100_0795.jpg
    100_0795.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 108
OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
We picked up the '76 disc brake donor frame today. It also happens to have Warn hubs on it!

Tonight, I may start prepping the heads for paint and do some parts cleaning. I painted the block today, but I'm not happy with the results so I'll be working on it some more. I may try to prep it better tonight as well.

I got the dash pieces that we bought from lonesouth in the mail yesterday. We are going to convert a later model dash into a '73 dash (Hazard switch on dash, with indicator).

Attachments

• 100_0799.jpg
    100_0799.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 164
  • 100_0800.jpg
    100_0800.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 143
  • 100_0801.jpg
    100_0801.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 155
  • 100_0803.jpg
    100_0803.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 143
  • 100_0804.jpg
    100_0804.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks like you are getting your "ducks in a row" there JGbronco!......Seems like you have found most of the parts you needed, already!!! We have been really busy....so not much Bronco Time. I pulled the trans-transfer case from the silver '77 on Memorial day, and that has been it for working on Broncos. Hopefully, tomorrow afternoon, I can make a little progress on a Bronco! Keep posting your progress, and maybe I can chip in before long!

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Looks like you are getting your "ducks in a row" there JGbronco!......Seems like you have found most of the parts you needed, already!!! We have been really busy....so not much Bronco Time. I pulled the trans-transfer case from the silver '77 on Memorial day, and that has been it for working on Broncos. Hopefully, tomorrow afternoon, I can make a little progress on a Bronco! Keep posting your progress, and maybe I can chip in before long!

I understand, no biggie. I still have an engine to build and a garage to clean. Thanks for keeping me updated! :cool:

I haven't made any further progress tonight since I got home later than expected, but we were out looking at some other Broncos, so I declare it excused. ;D

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I understand, no biggie. I still have an engine to build and a garage to clean. Thanks for keeping me updated! :cool:

I haven't made any further progress tonight since I got home later than expected, but we were out looking at some other Broncos, so I declare it excused. ;D

Lol!!!...Maybe that's my problem....Instead of working on the ones already here, I'm out looking for/at more!! By the way, I noticed one off in the distance in the field of one of your last pic posts.... Is it for sale???? ;D;D