• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel tank pick up filter

blknblu69v

Just dropped my aux fuel tank and heard something rolling around. Found loose filter. Removed pick up sending unit. It looks like filter just slides on. What keeps it on? Is the pick up line supposed to have a bend in it? It has a curve up to it. Thought maybe filter is somehow trapped on the tube by the bottom of the tank?

Attachments

• 10011EB4-34DC-4D46-BC17-6E83E87E4177.jpg
    10011EB4-34DC-4D46-BC17-6E83E87E4177.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 33

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Interesting. I don't remember ever seeing one with a bend like that. If it wasn't made that way, seems like it took a hit in either shipping, or inside the tank.
Any dents in the bottom of the tank you can see?

The filters do slip fit over the tube fairly snug, but I believe from the factory they were also glued. The originals did not come off willingly, and many are still in place today.
Yours even looks a little different than I'm used to seeing. Not familiar with the "sleeve" coming out of the end. Usually it's just a hole in the end of the filter itself.

They're still available new, in two sizes. The larger 3/8" was used in larger engine vehicles, and as far as I know all EB's got the smaller 5/16" size. At least the ones I've seen. Nothing says that's etched in stone though. Maybe '77's were different, or there were variations.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I take it back about the dent. You said AUX tank and I forgot that. Even a strong hit could flex things up good and not leave a mark on the skid plate or plastic tank.
So I'm thinking that, as strong as that skid plate is, a side tank can take a pretty big hit and perhaps flex the sending unit without leaving a clue behind on the outside.

Would take one hell of a hit to do that though!

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
B

blknblu69v

Aux tank is poly and don’t see any signs of external impact. I slipped the filter back on and bent the tube slightly back down again. Hopefully the tube will be too close to the tank to come off.