• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

No spark. (UPDATE: figured it out)

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Hopefully this isn't off topic too much.

I have my 3G wired in a little different and I'm about to change it to the way described in this thread. I have a circuit breaker now and from what Viper said about my wiring, I have it installed in a way that might not work. Anyway, if I put a 175 amp fuse between the alt and the + side of the starter solenoid, do I need a fuse for the black/yellow wire coming off the + side of the starter solenoid?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
do I need a fuse for the black/yellow wire coming off the + side of the starter solenoid?

Yes, fuse, fusible link, or circuit breaker. That wires powers everything under the dash and needs protection.

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Yes, fuse, fusible link, or circuit breaker. That wires powers everything under the dash and needs protection.

I have a marine fuse block mounted on my inner fender and connected to the + side of the starter solenoid. Can I just connect the yellow/black wire to this? Could I run the black wire from this also? If so, what size fuse should I use?

Or, do I need to use the original fusible link on the black wire?

Attachments

• 5025.jpg
    5025.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Ok. Doesn't the black/yellow get fused at the fuse box? I need to look at the diagram

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I have a marine fuse block mounted on my inner fender and connected to the + side of the starter solenoid. Can I just connect the yellow/black wire to this? Could I run the black wire from this also? If so, what size fuse should I use?

Or, do I need to use the original fusible link on the black wire?

Doubtful. The black and black-yellow wires can have a load of near 60 amps with all the interior accessories. That fusebox doesn't look capable, but the autopilot is a nice feature. Fusible link is probably easiest, cleanest and cheapest solution. 16 gauge should do it.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Ok. Doesn't the black/yellow get fused at the fuse box? I need to look at the diagram

No. The circuits coming from it at the fusebox are fused. You need protection on that wire because everything connected to it isn't fused. If you don't believe me just short the ign sw to ground and see if the fire goes out on it's own.

JSmall

Bronco Guru
No. The circuits coming from it at the fusebox are fused. You need protection on that wire because everything connected to it isn't fused. If you don't believe me just short the ign sw to ground and see if the fire goes out on it's own.

It's not that I don't believe you, I just don't understand. I have a 20 circuit painless fuse box I'll be putting in the engine compartment (replacing the one behind the dash) so I'm trying to get an idea of how that's done.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It's not that I don't believe you, I just don't understand. I have a 20 circuit painless fuse box I'll be putting in the engine compartment (replacing the one behind the dash) so I'm trying to get an idea of how that's done.

Ok. In that case you probably don't need the fusible link if everything pulling current from it is going through it's own fuse. That is, no connections in that wire between solenoid and fusebox and the 10 gauge wire terminates at the fusebox.

tw322

Shit.....I owe you all beers as well. Carne Asada and Pacifico's at my house for Cinco de Mayo tommorrow night!

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
You know, I haven't read anything about this stuff (the yellow/black, black, and green/red wires anywhere else. Maybe I missed it.

But it would be cool if this was a sticky or added to a tech page or some such thing.

tw322

That looks nice...maybe Broncosbybama will buy it and use is for one of his flips.