• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Trivia...How long will a motor last without ever adding oil?

Lawndart

Loc.
Some people don't understand the salesman says that you don't have to do anything for over 100k. Unlike the old days that you would need a timing belt at 60k, or valve adjustments. But they take that as not needing oil or anything else for 100k. A big chunk of the blame is on the crappy salesman. But the customer who doesn't read the manual on the car is also to blame. And ultimately the one responsible.

The 10k/yearly oil change is part of the problem. It leads to complacency and rarely or never checking oil between service. It bit me one time on the wife's car. Finally got around to check the oil and it was over a qt low. I learned.

OP
OP
Projp

Projp

The Tundra melted down after only 72,000 miles.
He said he could have got more out of it if Toyota had used better oil at the factory.

Next time I told him trade in on new one at about 60,000 just to safe.

billd987

My experience was 40-60K before they grenaded (Fords). The customer would swear up and down that another party had done the oil changes (their "mechanic" brother in law, JiffyLube, Walmart, etc.), even though the factory oil filter (they had unique markings and were painted a different color than Motorcrafts) was still on the engine, and something resembling the La Brea tar pits was in the oil pan. When you told them that they would need to produce the oil change receipts, they'd get a deer in the headlights look every time.....

billd987

The 10k/yearly oil change is part of the problem. It leads to complacency and rarely or never checking oil between service. It bit me one time on the wife's car. Finally got around to check the oil and it was over a qt low. I learned.

Try 16K on my wife's Range Rover.....A little too long for my comfort, but it's their recommendation and it's a lease, so I'm not going spend too much time worrying about it.

Mikesimp70

Toyota's maintenance schedule on my '12 Tacoma recommends way more than I expected.
Oil changes @ 5K.
Spark plug changes @ 30K.
Gear oil changes @ 30K.
Now, I've don all this maintenance, but compared to a Chevy or Ford, this is a lot.

Toyota is actually only changing your oil every other time or 10k. In between they only check it. Found this out at 15k and blew my top with the service manager. Now I have 120k on my 2012 4Runner and still consider it new. Might trade on a 2020 Bronco though!

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thought it might be a trick question, motors as a general rule don't have oil engines on the other hand do use oil.;D

Attachments

• motor1.jpg
    motor1.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
Projp

Projp

Thought it might be a trick question, motors as a general rule don't have oil engines on the other hand do use oil.;D

My bad, we have the same thing on the gun forums.

"Cartridge vs. Bullet vs. Caliber
Given the vast differences between the terms “bullet,” “cartridge” and “caliber,” it’s amazing anyone with a modicum of experience would confuse them. And yet how many of us have been in a gun store when someone walked in looking for “a box of .30-’06 bullets” when he obviously wanted actual cartridges?
A “bullet” is merely the projectile that exits the barrel. Specifically, it’s a non-spherical chunk of lead, copper or other material intended for use in a rifled barrel. The bullet’s “caliber” is a numerical approximation of the bullet’s diameter, often expressed in millimeters or hundredths of an inch.
“Bullet” should not be used interchangeably with the term “cartridge” — a bullet is a mere component of it. Cartridges consist of the case, primer, propellant and projectile. In the case of rifles and handguns, the bullet is seated in the cartridge case. Cartridge is also an accurate term for any shotshell.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
My bad, we have the same thing on the gun forums.

"Cartridge vs. Bullet vs. Caliber
Given the vast differences between the terms “bullet,” “cartridge” and “caliber,” it’s amazing anyone with a modicum of experience would confuse them. And yet how many of us have been in a gun store when someone walked in looking for “a box of .30-’06 bullets” when he obviously wanted actual cartridges?
A “bullet” is merely the projectile that exits the barrel. Specifically, it’s a non-spherical chunk of lead, copper or other material intended for use in a rifled barrel. The bullet’s “caliber” is a numerical approximation of the bullet’s diameter, often expressed in millimeters or hundredths of an inch.
“Bullet” should not be used interchangeably with the term “cartridge” — a bullet is a mere component of it. Cartridges consist of the case, primer, propellant and projectile. In the case of rifles and handguns, the bullet is seated in the cartridge case. Cartridge is also an accurate term for any shotshell.

just ask for loaded shells;D

patterdale

Bronco Guru
Worked as a ford mechanic in the 80's. Lady brought a cougar in with lower end knock. 50k miles and didn't know what oil was. Only dry sludge in the pan nothing would drain out at all. It was the oil from the factory.

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
Some people are complete idiots! I have 2 daughters but neither of them will get their license until they know how to check & change their own oil. Also a tire! Call me stupid but I still change all engine oil @ 3000 and transmission approx. 30K. To me cheap insurance.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
81 Buick Regal V6. 103K miles. Still had the factory oil filter on it. It was my Dads. You could say he was bad at cars, great with rockets. The car heat seized, I went and picked both dad and the car up on the side of the road. The next day I drained the quart of oil out of it and spun on a new filter, added new oil. It started and ran for another 40K when he got rid of it.

patterdale

Bronco Guru
All toads are frogs but not all frogs are toads.

Good one. People are confused though because virtually all of racing is referred to as motor sport. Pennzoil sold their products as motor oil. Those without some formal mechanics training could be easily confused.

Ranchtruck

70k seems about right, had a customer bring in a Honda Accord Hybrid with 78k on it that had a missfire. Well it was a variable displacement motor and had rockers that would disengage and keep the valves closed on half the cylinders. The oil had gotten so nasty that a couple of those rockers had stuck. Popped them back loose, cleaned them up, new filter and 75% ATF 25% oil and ran it for a while. Another new filter, 50/50 mix and took the car out and beat on it it. Brought it in again and put another filter and all engine oil in, everything seemed happy again.

We looked up the history on the car, and he brought it in for the complimentary first service at 4k, and then never came back. When the service manager asked him about it, he said "well every other damn car I've owned had a light that came on when you had to put oil in it!" The car didn't burn oil, so it never ran low enough to starve and turn the oil light on. I shudder to think of the line of cars that he had behind him which had been repeatedly run out of oil. Now there was a maintenance minder light shaped like a wrench that had probably been on for the last 65k miles, so he had no excuse on that front.

I don't understand why someone would spend $35k on a car and then just neglect it. That's a lot of money to just throw away.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Some people are complete idiots! I have 2 daughters but neither of them will get their license until they know how to check & change their own oil. Also a tire! Call me stupid but I still change all engine oil @ 3000 and transmission approx. 30K. To me cheap insurance.

Nice.. :)