• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Disc brake question

sdbuggyboys

I am going to swap out my old drums for a new disc brake conversion kit and i was wondering which one is the best for the money. i know the broncograveyard one is cheap but does it work? i am just looking for daily driving so nothing super expensive or bulletproof. also, when i get this installed, how long can i wait until i put brake fluid in the lines? can i just swap it in and finish the rest of the thing before i put it in or do i need to put it in and then immediately fill it with fluid? Thanks! :)

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
All of the brake kits sold by the vendors are the Chevy conversion that use GM parts with Ford hubs and rotors. Most of these parts are available at your local autopart store.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Not sure what swap is best. Ill be researching this myself soon. But as far as adding fluid, you can wait as long as you want. Just make sure the ends of the lines and such stay plugged so as not to get crap in them. What the difference between the parts being on your truck for a while of being on the shelf at the auto store. But i did have a new master sitting in the box for like 10 years before i inslalled it and the nest day it leaked out the back seal and destroyed my new firewall insulator. Not sure if it had anything to do with the seal drying up or if it had to do with me not bench flushing it?

wesleydax

dig around on the net and on the tech pages. I did my swap and went to advance auto for everything. not a big deal.

OP
OP
S

sdbuggyboys

thanks for all the help. about how much would it cost to just buy the parts from advance auto? oh and should i do disc or drum for the rear axle and if i do disc can i remove the plate between the housing and the axle near the tire? thanks again!

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
thanks for all the help. about how much would it cost to just buy the parts from advance auto? oh and should i do disc or drum for the rear axle and if i do disc can i remove the plate between the housing and the axle near the tire? thanks again!

Not sure on pricing parts.

I would start with front discs, do those first and see how you like them. Then do some type of power setup, which makes the discs even better.

There is nothing wrong with rear drums so long as they are in good shape, and adjusted properly. Later, or if you just have money to throw around, you could add rear discs.

On mine, front discs with a power setup is 100 times better than front drums, especially when rear drums are good.

Dlish

This guy is on the board all the time, good instructions and parts list to get you started

http://www.emotoman.com/disc/discbrake1.htm

I just did the discs on the front and it makes a huge difference....like braking in a straight line and stopping the 37in tires. Did not do the back, just a good adjustment and the bronco is great.